An Abundance of Katherines by John Green

An Abundance of Katherines (edition 2008)

by John Green

Member:anboggs
Title:An Abundance of Katherines
Authors:John Green
Info:Speak (2008), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 272 pages
Rating:****1/2
Tags:Teen romance, YA, coming of age

An Abundance of Katherines by John Green

Looking for Alaska by John Green (mad.)
    mad.: this his john green's first book and although it has a completely different plot and characters it has the same style as an Abundance of Katherines
    Will Grayson, Will Grayson by John Green (SheReads)
    The Boyfriend List by E. Lockhart (Runa)
    Going Bovine by Libba Bray (foggidawn)
    foggidawn: Both are great stories using the metaphor of road-trip for self-discovery.
    The Last Samurai by Helen DeWitt (Katya0133)
    Katya0133: another book about a child prodigy, very different in style, but I enjoyed both
    Tripping by Heather Waldorf (wegc)
    wegc: A teenager spends the summer on a hiking trip, facing up to her past and meeting new people. Similar coming-of-age themes.
    In Watermelon Sugar by Richard Brautigan (Othemts)
    Notes From The Midnight Driver by Jordan Sonnenblick (Maiasaura)
    Mindblind by Jennifer Roy (meggyweg)
    The Adventures of Blue Avenger by Norma Howe (suzanney)
    Spanking Shakespeare by Jake Wizner (meggyweg)
    Infinity's Web by Sheila Finch (infiniteletters)
    A Prayer for Owen Meany by John Irving (Othemts)

English (276)  German (4)  Spanish (2)  Dutch (2)  Tagalog (1)  All languages (285)
Cute. You have to like John Green books to enjoy this one, but overall it was a cute, easy read. ( )
  Lokweesha | Mar 25, 2015 |
I'm not going to lie, I found this book extremely hard to get into and stick with but I got there in the end.

The Abundance of Katherines follows Colin Singleton, a recently heart-broken, former child prodigy and his incredibly funny best friend Hassan on their "Road Trip" distraction. Colin wants to be remembered. He wants to make his name mean something and for that, he uses his recent emotional trauma to create a mathematical formula that can determine how long a relationship will last between two people. Used to being complete, nerdy outcasts, Colin and Hassan find themselves in Gutshot, the town where Archduke Franz Ferdinand is allegedly buried and this is where their new story begins.

As much as Colin got on my nerves for a good portion of this book, he really grew on me because of how quirky he is and how we all know someone like Colin (not so much the child prodigy but someone who seems to know it all). He and Hassan have some of the funniest interactions I've read and you really cherish their friendship. I didn't completely connect with the characters however, because I was too busy trying to work out the maths equations and the extra tidbits of information at the bottom of some pages (which, for me, were some of the best bits!)

Lindsay and Hassan were by far my favourite characters and I grew to care for them, especially Lindsay. It was nice to read about teenagers with a strong, moralistic head on their shoulders and to see how they impact the world around them.
I think the plot line was a bit weak but I think it worked for all the other thought-provoking aspects of the book.
I really loved the mathematical appendix at the back and I finally understood what Colin was trying to achieve, without that I would probably still be stuck with a confused face for days to come.

Definitely a book that requires your full attention but is still a relatively quick read and interesting to say the least. Very different to anything I have read before.

3 1/2 stars from me, mostly losing a higher rating because of the lack of a strong plot-line, the amount of thinking involved and how long it took me to finally be drawn in. All in all though, definitely worth a read if you want to feel just a bit smarter :) ( )
  Amberlouichu | Mar 7, 2015 |
I got bored of reading this one very quickly...it honestly didn't pull me in like Alaska and WGWG and Paper Towns did ( )
  nlm2nd | Mar 4, 2015 |
John Green novels are always at the very least an interesting read, with this book being the one exception.

The characters are mostly unlikable. Which can be forgiven if it serves the story but it really just makes it harder to get through because of the frustratingly annoying narrator.

If the characters weren't bad enough the entire plot is boring. It's about a boy who will only date Katherines with a K. He does some math stuff and it's so boring I don't even want to think about this. The (view spoiler) is so unbelievable but by that point you're just glad that the book is over and you don't really care who this jerk ended up with as long as he's done narrating his awful life.

John Green is a great author, and every author must have their dud. This is it. ( )
  Dani.St-Onge | Mar 1, 2015 |
A book where you find the importance of all the things that can not be fully appreciated by the intellect granted to only a few gifted as we might call them, and how they find the actual value of such emotions and thoughts. ( )
  durgaprsd04 | Feb 25, 2015 |

John Greenprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Bliss, DanielAppendixsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Woodman, JeffNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
"But the pleasure isn't owning the person. The pleasure is this. Having another contender in the room with you." -Philip Roth, The Human Stain
To my wife, Sarah Urist Green, anagrammatically: Her great Russian, Grin has treasure, A great risen rush, She is a rut-ranger; Anguish arrester; Sister; haranguer; Treasure-sharing, Heart-reassuring Signature Sharer Easing rare hurts.
The morning after noted child prodigy Colin Singleton graduated from high school and got dumped for the nineteenth time by a girl named Katherine, he took a bath.
You can love someone so much, he thought. But you can never love people as much as you miss them.
Books are the ultimate Dumpees: put them down and they'll wait for you forever; pay attention to them and they always love you back.
I don't think you can ever fill the empty space with the thing you lost. ... That's what I realized: if I did get her back somehow, she wouldn't fill the hole that losing her created.

When it comes to relationships, Colin Singleton’s type happens to be girls named Katherine. And when it comes to girls named Katherine, Colin is always getting dumped. Nineteen times, to be exact. He’s also a washed up child prodigy with ten thousand dollars in his pocket, a passion for anagrams, and an overweight, Judge Judy-obsessed best friend. Colin’s on a mission to prove The Theorem of Underlying Katherine Predictability, which will predict the future of all relationships, transform him from a fading prodigy into a true genius, and finally win him the girl.

Letting expectations go and allowing love in are at the heart of Colin’s hilarious quest to find his missing piece and avenge dumpees everywhere.

When it comes to relationships, Colin Singleton’s type is girls named Katherine. And when it comes to girls named Katherine, Colin is always getting dumped. Nineteen times, to be exact. On a road trip miles from home, this anagram-happy, washed-up child prodigy has ten thousand dollars in his pocket, a bloodthirsty feral hog on his trail, and an overweight, Judge Judy–loving best friend riding shotgun—but no Katherines. Colin is on a mission to prove The Theorem of Underlying Katherine Predictability, which he hopes will predict the future of any relationship, avenge Dumpees everywhere, and finally win him the girl. Love, friendship, and a dead Austro-Hungarian archduke add up to surprising and heart-changing conclusions in this ingeniously layered comic novel about reinventing oneself.

A Michael L. Printz Honor Book
A Los Angeles Times Book Prize Finalist
An ALA BBYA
A Horn Book Fanfare Best Book of the Year
A Booklist Editors' Choice
A Kirkus Reviews Best Book of the Year

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:36:45 -0400)

Having been recently dumped for the nineteenth time by a girl named Katherine, recent high school graduate and former child prodigy Colin sets off on a road trip with his best friend to try to find some new direction in life while also trying to create a mathematical formula to explain his relationships.… (more)

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 96,242,744 books! | Top bar: Always visible