An Abundance of Katherines by John Green

An Abundance of Katherines (edition 2008)

by John Green

Member:anboggs
Title:An Abundance of Katherines
Authors:John Green
Info:Speak (2008), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 272 pages
Rating:****1/2
Tags:Teen romance, YA, coming of age

An Abundance of Katherines by John Green

Looking for Alaska by John Green (mad.)
    mad.: this his john green's first book and although it has a completely different plot and characters it has the same style as an Abundance of Katherines
    Will Grayson, Will Grayson by John Green (SheReads)
    The Boyfriend List by E. Lockhart (Runa)
    Going Bovine by Libba Bray (foggidawn)
    foggidawn: Both are great stories using the metaphor of road-trip for self-discovery.
    The Last Samurai by Helen DeWitt (Katya0133)
    Katya0133: another book about a child prodigy, very different in style, but I enjoyed both
    Tripping by Heather Waldorf (wegc)
    wegc: A teenager spends the summer on a hiking trip, facing up to her past and meeting new people. Similar coming-of-age themes.
    In Watermelon Sugar by Richard Brautigan (Othemts)
    Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: Though they're not your typical love stories, there's plenty of romance in these offbeat, witty realistic stories of recent high school graduates setting off on new adventures (a road trip, college) that help them discover themselves.
    Infinity's Web by Sheila Finch (infiniteletters)
    Notes From The Midnight Driver by Jordan Sonnenblick (Maiasaura)
    The Adventures of Blue Avenger by Norma Howe (suzanney)
    Spanking Shakespeare by Jake Wizner (meggyweg)
    Mindblind by Jennifer Roy (meggyweg)
    A Prayer for Owen Meany by John Irving (Othemts)

English (286)  German (4)  Dutch (2)  Tagalog (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (294)
Can the real John Green please stand up? This is my 3rd book by john Green and I'm getting annoyed with the lack of predictability. There is absolutely no style, plot, or character similarity between [b:The Fault in Our Stars|11870085|The Fault in Our Stars|John Green|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1360206420s/11870085.jpg|16827462], [b:Looking for Alaska|99561|Looking for Alaska|John Green|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1394798630s/99561.jpg|919292] or [b:An Abundance of Katherines|49750|An Abundance of Katherines|John Green|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1360206426s/49750.jpg|48658]. If you like one of them, it doesn't necessarily mean you will like the others.
This book reminds me of [b:Going Bovine|6512140|Going Bovine|Libba Bray|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1320391025s/6512140.jpg|4733312] by Libba Bray. It has the same teen road trip plot where a slightly dysfunctional teen is trying to find himself. The basic plot is that a geeky teen prodigy falls into a hopeless despair when his latest girlfriend (all of whom have been named Katherine) decides to dump him. He and his best friend are given the green light by both parents to take a road trip to get him back on track. Crazy, if not ridiculous, encounters happen along the way that make you question whether the author was on something when he wrote the book. The same question can be asked of Bray, but at least Bray's character was in an unconscious state on his road trip. Green's characters are completely in the here and now. If you like extremely exaggerated humor in the midst of a totally irrational plot, then you will like this book. There are some very funny lines that Green should get some creativity points for, but Fault in Our stars this is not. ( )
  valorrmac | Aug 19, 2015 |
Green has the ability to put words to feelings, in this novel he tries to link math to predicting relationships. If anyone could do it, it would be the great Mr. Green.
The book captured my interest with a Philip Roth quote:
From now on all my wishes, those made on shooting stars & those made while tossing pennies into fountains, will be "Dear Universe; please get me into a room with John Green. I just want to pick his brain & congratulate him on his ability to make me feel using words...& now math."
How I wish YA novels like those of Mr. Green existed when I was a young adult!
Was it as good as The Fault in Our Stars? No, but it's still a good read. ( )
  PiperUp | Aug 14, 2015 |
Recommended by my summer school principal, and I'm SO thankful. So far, it's hilarious and I already love the two main characters.

Update. I made it to page 110 and it took two months. I still enjoy the novel; the characters make me chuckle and I love the style of narration (which is pretty unusual in a clever way). However, if the book allowed for me to get too busy to read it, I may as well put it back. The truth is that I don't really care what happens in the end--Collin's theorum is an interesting topic but there's no real conflict that kept me moving through the book. So after enjoying half of it, I had to return it to the library. And really, I'm okay with that. ( )
  engpunk77 | Aug 10, 2015 |
I really, really enjoy John Green's books.

Colin Singleton (that's Colin with a short "o") is a child prodigy who has just graduated from high school and has just been dumped by his 19th girlfriend named Katherine. Like the protagonist in (as best I can tell) all of Green's books, Colin is super-smart and just a bit nerdy, and so he never quite made it into the cool crowd in school.

Without spoilers, the story helps us all see the missing piece of ourselves and learn to see the difference between what we think matters and what really matters in our lives. But this is not a moralistic book; it is a tale of a young man on a heck of an interesting road trip with his best friend, and there's a huge smattering of anagrams, mathematical formulas, foreign languages, and historical facts thrown in for good measure. ( )
  Phyllis.Mann | Jul 13, 2015 |
This book is about the washed up child prodigy COlin Singleton. Colin has a very interesting taste in girls. He only dates girls named Katherine. and he always gets dumped by them. After being dumped by Katherine 19 he goes on a road trip with his overweight, Judge Judy loving friend Hassan. During this road trip Colin is trying to formulate a mathematical theorem that can predict the length and stability of any relationship. They stop in a small town called Gutshot and make friends with a local girl named Lindsey. they are soon employed to record the stories of everyone in town. After a few months of living in Gutshot, Hassan and Colin get lost on a hunt and stumble upon Hassan's girlfriend cheating on him with Lindsey's boyfriend who is also named Colin. After Lindsey breaks up with Colin (boyfriend) she starts to date Colin (prodigy). The book ends by Hassan, Colin and Lindsey driving of into the sunset.

This book i think is an amazing piece of literature. John Green has always been one of my favorite writers and reading this just made that love bigger. I love the plot of this book and how it seems so real. I love the characters and how they are written. Colin is a person that you would either hate or be best friends with and that is what i love about his character. I think this book is amazing and i want to read more from John Green. I would recommend this book to anyone like likes math. ( )
  justiceb.B1 | May 28, 2015 |

John Greenprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Bliss, DanielAppendixsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Woodman, JeffNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
"But the pleasure isn't owning the person. The pleasure is this. Having another contender in the room with you." -Philip Roth, The Human Stain
To my wife, Sarah Urist Green, anagrammatically: Her great Russian, Grin has treasure, A great risen rush, She is a rut-ranger; Anguish arrester; Sister; haranguer; Treasure-sharing, Heart-reassuring Signature Sharer Easing rare hurts.
The morning after noted child prodigy Colin Singleton graduated from high school and got dumped for the nineteenth time by a girl named Katherine, he took a bath.
You can love someone so much, he thought. But you can never love people as much as you miss them.
Books are the ultimate Dumpees: put them down and they'll wait for you forever; pay attention to them and they always love you back.
I don't think you can ever fill the empty space with the thing you lost. ... That's what I realized: if I did get her back somehow, she wouldn't fill the hole that losing her created.

When it comes to relationships, Colin Singleton’s type happens to be girls named Katherine. And when it comes to girls named Katherine, Colin is always getting dumped. Nineteen times, to be exact. He’s also a washed up child prodigy with ten thousand dollars in his pocket, a passion for anagrams, and an overweight, Judge Judy-obsessed best friend. Colin’s on a mission to prove The Theorem of Underlying Katherine Predictability, which will predict the future of all relationships, transform him from a fading prodigy into a true genius, and finally win him the girl.

Letting expectations go and allowing love in are at the heart of Colin’s hilarious quest to find his missing piece and avenge dumpees everywhere.

When it comes to relationships, Colin Singleton’s type is girls named Katherine. And when it comes to girls named Katherine, Colin is always getting dumped. Nineteen times, to be exact. On a road trip miles from home, this anagram-happy, washed-up child prodigy has ten thousand dollars in his pocket, a bloodthirsty feral hog on his trail, and an overweight, Judge Judy–loving best friend riding shotgun—but no Katherines. Colin is on a mission to prove The Theorem of Underlying Katherine Predictability, which he hopes will predict the future of any relationship, avenge Dumpees everywhere, and finally win him the girl. Love, friendship, and a dead Austro-Hungarian archduke add up to surprising and heart-changing conclusions in this ingeniously layered comic novel about reinventing oneself.

A Michael L. Printz Honor Book
A Los Angeles Times Book Prize Finalist
An ALA BBYA
A Horn Book Fanfare Best Book of the Year
A Booklist Editors' Choice
A Kirkus Reviews Best Book of the Year

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:13:37 -0400)

Having been recently dumped for the nineteenth time by a girl named Katherine, recent high school graduate and former child prodigy Colin sets off on a road trip with his best friend to try to find some new direction in life while also trying to create a mathematical formula to explain his relationships.… (more)

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,016,886 books! | Top bar: Always visible