An Abundance of Katherines by John Green

An Abundance of Katherines (original 2006; edition 2008)

by John Green

Member:anboggs
Title:An Abundance of Katherines
Authors:John Green
Info:Speak (2008), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 272 pages
Rating:****1/2
Tags:Teen romance, YA, coming of age

An Abundance of Katherines by John Green (2006)

Looking for Alaska by John Green (mad.)
    mad.: this his john green's first book and although it has a completely different plot and characters it has the same style as an Abundance of Katherines
    Will Grayson, Will Grayson by John Green (SheReads)
    The Boyfriend List by E. Lockhart (Runa)
    Going Bovine by Libba Bray (foggidawn)
    foggidawn: Both are great stories using the metaphor of road-trip for self-discovery.
    Paper Towns by John Green (Morteana)
    The Last Samurai by Helen DeWitt (Katya0133)
    Katya0133: another book about a child prodigy, very different in style, but I enjoyed both
    In Watermelon Sugar by Richard Brautigan (Othemts)
    Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: Though they're not your typical love stories, there's plenty of romance in these offbeat, witty realistic stories of recent high school graduates setting off on new adventures (a road trip, college) that help them discover themselves.
    Spanking Shakespeare by Jake Wizner (meggyweg)
    Infinity's Web by Sheila Finch (infiniteletters)
    Tripping by Heather Waldorf (wegc)
    wegc: A teenager spends the summer on a hiking trip, facing up to her past and meeting new people. Similar coming-of-age themes.
    Mindblind by Jennifer Roy (meggyweg)
    Notes From The Midnight Driver by Jordan Sonnenblick (Maiasaura)
    The Adventures of Blue Avenger by Norma Howe (suzanney)
    A Prayer for Owen Meany by John Irving (Othemts)

English (318)  German (5)  Dutch (2)  Tagalog (1)  Danish (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (328)
I listened to the audiobook which was read by Jeff Woodman. Jeff's narration saved this book because if I had read it, I would have been bored. Not John Green's best work. If you're new to John Green, don't start with this one. ( )
  JennysBookBag.com | Sep 28, 2016 |
John Green has done it again and this time with more math! Readers will fall in love the hysterical coming of age story that is An Abundance of Katherines by John Green. If Colin knows one thing, its Katherines, considering he had been dumped by 19 of them. If being an almost genius had taught him anything it was that everything can be solved with math and while on a wacky road trip with his best friend he started developing a theory to explain love and help him finally find it. This is my favorite John Green book and its only partially due to the fact that I love math! I loved so many things about this book and I think my favorite aspect of it was how funny the whole thing was. Colin views the world in such a comedic way that this book hooked me from the first page. The characters in this book were hysterical and I was laughing out loud every time Hassan said something. The anagrams in this book were just another hilarious part of the intriguing personality that Colin has. This book was very honest and even though the plot felt completely unrealistic the characters were written with such an truthful feeling that felt logical and real. An Abundance of Katherines is the kind of book I think every young adult should read and I highly recommend it to anyone looking for some comic relief. ( )
  rebeccabarer | Sep 5, 2016 |
Way better than either Looking for Alaska or Paper Towns purely by virtue of having characters that were more believable, relate-able, and, ultimately, real. Lindsey doesn't hit the MPDG hies of either Alaska or Margo, and is a much nicer and better character for it. Colin is a dick, but likeably so, and he's a good deal more self-aware than the "heroes" of either of those other books. And Hassan is... Hassan.

However, nowhere near The Fault in our Stars. The ending is a bit clunky, and there are some moments where the story just feels like disconnected parts. I dunno, though, I liked it a lot. ( )
  thebookmagpie | Aug 7, 2016 |
This was a really fun and unique book. Good job, John Green! Although it was predictable (I saw the romance coming, but it was still cute), An Abundance of Katherines was still a nice vacation read with a little twist. I loved all the characters, too. I definitely recommend it! ( )
  abrooke | Jul 29, 2016 |
This was okay. I might have liked it more if I hadn't started reading Fault in Our Stars first. All John Green books have been downhill from there. Good thing I listed to this while working so I didn't waste too much time. ( )
  MHanover10 | Jul 11, 2016 |

John Greenprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Bliss, DanielAppendixsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Woodman, JeffNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
“But the pleasure isn’t owning the person. The pleasure is this. Having another contender in the room with you.” —Philip Roth, The Human Stain
To my wife, Sarah Urist Green, anagrammatically:
Treasure-sharing,
Heart-reassuring
Signature Sharer
Easing rare hurts.
The morning after noted child prodigy Colin Singleton graduated from high school and got dumped for the nineteenth time by a girl named Katherine, he took a bath.
Colin had always preferred baths; one of his general policies in life was never to do anything standing up that could just as easily be done lying down.
—pg. 3
But mothers lie. It’s in the job description.
—pg. 4
Crying adds something: crying is you, plus tears. But the feeling Colin had was some horrible opposite of crying. It was you, minus something.
—pg. 7
Prodigies can very quickly learn what other people have already figured out; geniuses discover that which no one has ever previously discovered. Prodigies learn; geniuses do.
—pg. 10
“Hassan Harbish. Sunni Muslim. Not a terrorist.”
“Lindsey Lee Wells. Methodist. Me, neither.”
—pg. 32

When it comes to relationships, Colin Singleton’s type is girls named Katherine. And when it comes to girls named Katherine, Colin is always getting dumped. Nineteen times, to be exact. On a road trip miles from home, this anagram-happy, washed-up child prodigy has ten thousand dollars in his pocket, a bloodthirsty feral hog on his trail, and an overweight, Judge Judy–loving best friend riding shotgun—but no Katherines. Colin is on a mission to prove The Theorem of Underlying Katherine Predictability, which he hopes will predict the future of any relationship, avenge Dumpees everywhere, and finally win him the girl. Love, friendship, and a dead Austro-Hungarian archduke add up to surprising and heart-changing conclusions in this ingeniously layered comic novel about reinventing oneself.

A Michael L. Printz Honor Book
A Los Angeles Times Book Prize Finalist
An ALA BBYA
A Horn Book Fanfare Best Book of the Year
A Booklist Editors' Choice
A Kirkus Reviews Best Book of the Year

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:13:37 -0400)

Having been recently dumped for the nineteenth time by a girl named Katherine, recent high school graduate and former child prodigy Colin sets off on a road trip with his best friend to try to find some new direction in life while also trying to create a mathematical formula to explain his relationships.… (more)

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,235,462 books! | Top bar: Always visible