An Abundance of Katherines by John Green

An Abundance of Katherines (edition 2008)

by John Green

Title:An Abundance of Katherines
Authors:John Green
Info:Speak (2008), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 272 pages
Tags:Teen romance, YA, coming of age

An Abundance of Katherines by John Green

Looking for Alaska by John Green (mad.)
    mad.: this his john green's first book and although it has a completely different plot and characters it has the same style as an Abundance of Katherines
    Will Grayson, Will Grayson by John Green (SheReads)
    The Boyfriend List by E. Lockhart (Runa)
    Going Bovine by Libba Bray (foggidawn)
    foggidawn: Both are great stories using the metaphor of road-trip for self-discovery.
    The Last Samurai by Helen DeWitt (Katya0133)
    Katya0133: another book about a child prodigy, very different in style, but I enjoyed both
    Tripping by Heather Waldorf (wegc)
    wegc: A teenager spends the summer on a hiking trip, facing up to her past and meeting new people. Similar coming-of-age themes.
    In Watermelon Sugar by Richard Brautigan (Othemts)
    Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: Though they're not your typical love stories, there's plenty of romance in these offbeat, witty realistic stories of recent high school graduates setting off on new adventures (a road trip, college) that help them discover themselves.
    Infinity's Web by Sheila Finch (infiniteletters)
    Notes From The Midnight Driver by Jordan Sonnenblick (Maiasaura)
    The Adventures of Blue Avenger by Norma Howe (suzanney)
    Spanking Shakespeare by Jake Wizner (meggyweg)
    Mindblind by Jennifer Roy (meggyweg)
    A Prayer for Owen Meany by John Irving (Othemts)

English (291)  German (4)  Dutch (2)  Tagalog (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (299)
@abundance_katherines +paper_towns ( )
  Lorem | Sep 24, 2015 |
The book is about a boy named Colin Singleton, who has dated 19 girls named Katherine, all of which have dumped him.
The storyline is interesting.
Maybe after reading TFIOS, I had extremely high expections for AAOK. ( )
  Haidji | Sep 20, 2015 |
John Green is an incredible writer. He writes intelligent, humorous, and emotional stories. 'An Abundance of Katherines' is witty and fun -- gut-splitting hilarious at times -- and refreshing. Collin is not a hero-type and his circumstance, other than his being a washed- up prodigy, is not fantastical. The story is very grounded. You are or you know one of his characters and contrary to many reviews I've read, they're likeable and relatable. Hassan is me if I was a Muslim boy. We've all been Lindsey at some point in our lives.

The math and the random trivia didn't put me off at all and I need to emphasize how thoroughly I hate math.

I may write more later but know that my 4* is a 4.5* ( )
1 vote rawrrbot | Sep 15, 2015 |
This was such a joy to read! It’s about a prodigy named Colin who has been dumped by 19 girls all named Katherine. To take his mind off his recent break-up, Colin goes on a road trip with his hilarious Muslim friend Hassan (I love Hassan, I wish John Green writes a sequel where Hassan is the protagonist). Along the way they meet interesting and mostly endearing characters that will eventually lead Colin to his “eureka” moment. I enjoyed reading this (including the footnotes) even if it contained math equations and diagrams. I give this 4 1/2 stars mostly for making me LOL several times and for the fascinating footnotes. ( )
1 vote VavaViolet | Sep 1, 2015 |
I only gave this book three and a half stars because even though I thoroughly enjoyed it, it did not have the panache and exaltation of Paper Towns or the tough issues of The Fault in our Stars.
Lindsey, Hassan and Colin are all very likable and original; the Katherine Theorem a great idea and the adventures fun and entertaining.
I felt, however, that this book didn't have the depth of the others. While storytelling is absolutely what makes our humanity and that as we construct our narratives, we give ourselves permission to reinvent ourselves, but this to me (as a mature reader) was not much of a revelation and I therefore found that the ending fell a little flat.
This said, nothing beats a good road trip, small towns full of quirky, fascinating people, all wrapped up in an emotional roller coaster. For this, Green is a master and I look forward to reading more of his books. ( )
1 vote Cecilturtle | Aug 30, 2015 |

John Greenprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Bliss, DanielAppendixsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Woodman, JeffNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
"But the pleasure isn't owning the person. The pleasure is this. Having another contender in the room with you." -Philip Roth, The Human Stain
To my wife, Sarah Urist Green, anagrammatically: Her great Russian, Grin has treasure, A great risen rush, She is a rut-ranger; Anguish arrester; Sister; haranguer; Treasure-sharing, Heart-reassuring Signature Sharer Easing rare hurts.
The morning after noted child prodigy Colin Singleton graduated from high school and got dumped for the nineteenth time by a girl named Katherine, he took a bath.
You can love someone so much, he thought. But you can never love people as much as you miss them.
Books are the ultimate Dumpees: put them down and they'll wait for you forever; pay attention to them and they always love you back.
I don't think you can ever fill the empty space with the thing you lost. ... That's what I realized: if I did get her back somehow, she wouldn't fill the hole that losing her created.

When it comes to relationships, Colin Singleton’s type happens to be girls named Katherine. And when it comes to girls named Katherine, Colin is always getting dumped. Nineteen times, to be exact. He’s also a washed up child prodigy with ten thousand dollars in his pocket, a passion for anagrams, and an overweight, Judge Judy-obsessed best friend. Colin’s on a mission to prove The Theorem of Underlying Katherine Predictability, which will predict the future of all relationships, transform him from a fading prodigy into a true genius, and finally win him the girl.

Letting expectations go and allowing love in are at the heart of Colin’s hilarious quest to find his missing piece and avenge dumpees everywhere.

When it comes to relationships, Colin Singleton’s type is girls named Katherine. And when it comes to girls named Katherine, Colin is always getting dumped. Nineteen times, to be exact. On a road trip miles from home, this anagram-happy, washed-up child prodigy has ten thousand dollars in his pocket, a bloodthirsty feral hog on his trail, and an overweight, Judge Judy–loving best friend riding shotgun—but no Katherines. Colin is on a mission to prove The Theorem of Underlying Katherine Predictability, which he hopes will predict the future of any relationship, avenge Dumpees everywhere, and finally win him the girl. Love, friendship, and a dead Austro-Hungarian archduke add up to surprising and heart-changing conclusions in this ingeniously layered comic novel about reinventing oneself.

A Michael L. Printz Honor Book
A Los Angeles Times Book Prize Finalist
A Horn Book Fanfare Best Book of the Year
A Booklist Editors' Choice
A Kirkus Reviews Best Book of the Year

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:13:37 -0400)

Having been recently dumped for the nineteenth time by a girl named Katherine, recent high school graduate and former child prodigy Colin sets off on a road trip with his best friend to try to find some new direction in life while also trying to create a mathematical formula to explain his relationships.… (more)

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,720,946 books! | Top bar: Always visible