An Abundance of Katherines by John Green

An Abundance of Katherines (edition 2008)

by John Green

5,304269831 (4)270
Member:Lucamilion
Title:An Abundance of Katherines
Authors:John Green
Info:Speak (2008), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 272 pages

An Abundance of Katherines by John Green

anagrams (95) boys (37) breakups (32) Chicago (32) child prodigy (42) coming of age (90) contemporary (28) dating (70) fiction (374) friendship (137) genius (34) humor (131) John Green (37) love (74) mathematics (208) Printz Honor (65) prodigy (63) read (63) realistic fiction (87) relationships (133) road trip (206) romance (115) signed (37) teen (111) teen fiction (31) Tennessee (59) to-read (97) YA (312) young adult (349) young adult fiction (78)
    Looking for Alaska by John Green (mad.)
    mad.: this his john green's first book and although it has a completely different plot and characters it has the same style as an Abundance of Katherines
    Will Grayson, Will Grayson by John Green (SheReads)
    The Boyfriend List by E. Lockhart (Runa)
    Going Bovine by Libba Bray (foggidawn)
    foggidawn: Both are great stories using the metaphor of road-trip for self-discovery.
    The Last Samurai by Helen DeWitt (Katya0133)
    Katya0133: another book about a child prodigy, very different in style, but I enjoyed both
    Tripping by Heather Waldorf (wegc)
    wegc: A teenager spends the summer on a hiking trip, facing up to her past and meeting new people. Similar coming-of-age themes.
    In Watermelon Sugar by Richard Brautigan (Othemts)
    A Prayer for Owen Meany by John Irving (Othemts)
    Notes From The Midnight Driver by Jordan Sonnenblick (Maiasaura)
    Mindblind by Jennifer Roy (meggyweg)
    The Adventures of Blue Avenger by Norma Howe (suzanney)
    Spanking Shakespeare by Jake Wizner (meggyweg)
    Infinity's Web by Sheila Finch (infiniteletters)

English (265)  Dutch (2)  German (2)  Tagalog (1)  All languages (270)
3.75 stars

Colin is a child prodigy and has just been dumped by his 19th girlfriend named Katherine. He and his best (and only) friend, Hassam, decide to go on a road trip and end up in a small town called Gutshot, Tennessee.

I really liked this. There was plenty of humour in the book and I really enjoyed the characters. The ebook had a Q&A with the author, which I also enjoyed. One things I didn't like was that there were footnotes – hard to check with an ebook. I often don't like (and don't bother) reading footnotes, but there were some here I would have liked to. I did skim through them when I got to the end, but at that point, I didn't always remember what they referred to. I will read more by this author. ( )
  LibraryCin | Jul 8, 2014 |
Wow! I really liked this book! My daughter asked me if I was becoming a John Green fangirl, and I think I have to say Yes! I only have one left to read--Papertowns--but so far, they have all been extraordinary. This one was so quirky and so funny that I think it may be my favorite one so far. I'm not sure if I want to place it above Fault yet, but possibly! Anyway, John Green is an excellent writer, and he has become a writer who CAUSES students to read, which makes him an awesome writer. When you write books that motivate non-readers to read, you have truly achieved greatness! ( )
  darcy36 | Jul 8, 2014 |
This book was all over the place, it tried to handle too many issues in too small a space: heartbreak, maintaining self-worth in the face of unreasonable expectations, the problems with an apathetic approach to life, the perils of fitting in versus those of standing out, and it even shoehorned in a few nods to loyalty and tradition. Nineteen girlfriends is quite a lot for a recent high school grad, even by Colin’s broad definition, and then when you add the conceit that they were all named Katherine (and with that spelling)! It’s a lot of disbelief to suspend. Especially when the dater of these nineteen Katherines is a completely self-absorbed whiner who has given his life to his studies. Thinking back on it I feel that John Green wrote a book around the idea presented by the math: an equation to predict relationship length. While he likes the math, the way he writes about it makes it clear he doesn’t really understand how it works, and that bothered me more than the abundance of footnotes. Colin’s anagramming habit did not bother me either, I had one myself when I was younger. The rest of the plot just doesn’t live up to the concept, and that’s a shame. Colin’s neuroses are hard to take for hundreds of pages with only a stereotypical in every way friend and a lackluster love interest to break through his self-doubt. There is a bit of high-drama at the end that just feels a little strange, because I didn’t really care for any of the characters and their already surreal situation. A lot of window-dressing on a rather dull story. ( )
  ArmchairAuthor | Jul 3, 2014 |
In between interviews and hanging out with Hassan and Lindsey at “Taco Hell”, Colin begins working on a Theorem to figure out (1) why he keeps getting dumped by Katherines and (2) if he can predict future relationships. There is an “abundance” of math in these sections, and Green himself graciously gives the reader permission to skip the mathematical explanations. I have to be honest, I tried to read the footnotes here, but I ended up skipping them. I got the point nevertheless...see my full review on reviewscomingatya.blogspot.com. ( )
  reviewscomingatya | Jul 1, 2014 |
If this were just a book by some unknown author, I'd think it was a pretty decent read, but nothing particularly spectacular. However, having read and loved Looking for Alaska and The Fault in our Stars, I feel as though I now have to devour everything that John Green has written. And even though I should've expected that I was bound to eventually be disappointed after loving those books so much, knowing that it would be hard to top them, I still feel let down. This was an okay book. It has a fun title, some good characters, and a decent plotline, but the earth didn't move for me like I wanted it to. But that's okay. I'll keep the faith and keep reading John Green. Because I know what he's capable of and I know he'll have another one that will blow me away. ( )
  indygo88 | Jun 27, 2014 |

John Greenprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Bliss, DanielAppendixsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Woodman, JeffNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
"But the pleasure isn't owning the person. The pleasure is this. Having another contender in the room with you." -Philip Roth, The Human Stain
To my wife, Sarah Urist Green, anagrammatically: Her great Russian, Grin has treasure, A great risen rush, She is a rut-ranger; Anguish arrester; Sister; haranguer; Treasure-sharing, Heart-reassuring Signature Sharer Easing rare hurts.
The morning after noted child prodigy Colin Singleton graduated from high school and got dumped for the nineteenth time by a girl named Katherine, he took a bath.
You can love someone so much, he thought. But you can never love people as much as you miss them.
Books are the ultimate Dumpees: put them down and they'll wait for you forever; pay attention to them and they always love you back.
I don't think you can ever fill the empty space with the thing you lost. ... That's what I realized: if I did get her back somehow, she wouldn't fill the hole that losing her created.

When it comes to relationships, Colin Singleton’s type happens to be girls named Katherine. And when it comes to girls named Katherine, Colin is always getting dumped. Nineteen times, to be exact. He’s also a washed up child prodigy with ten thousand dollars in his pocket, a passion for anagrams, and an overweight, Judge Judy-obsessed best friend. Colin’s on a mission to prove The Theorem of Underlying Katherine Predictability, which will predict the future of all relationships, transform him from a fading prodigy into a true genius, and finally win him the girl.

Letting expectations go and allowing love in are at the heart of Colin’s hilarious quest to find his missing piece and avenge dumpees everywhere.

When it comes to relationships, Colin Singleton’s type is girls named Katherine. And when it comes to girls named Katherine, Colin is always getting dumped. Nineteen times, to be exact. On a road trip miles from home, this anagram-happy, washed-up child prodigy has ten thousand dollars in his pocket, a bloodthirsty feral hog on his trail, and an overweight, Judge Judy–loving best friend riding shotgun—but no Katherines. Colin is on a mission to prove The Theorem of Underlying Katherine Predictability, which he hopes will predict the future of any relationship, avenge Dumpees everywhere, and finally win him the girl. Love, friendship, and a dead Austro-Hungarian archduke add up to surprising and heart-changing conclusions in this ingeniously layered comic novel about reinventing oneself.

A Michael L. Printz Honor Book
A Los Angeles Times Book Prize Finalist
An ALA BBYA
A Horn Book Fanfare Best Book of the Year
A Booklist Editors' Choice
A Kirkus Reviews Best Book of the Year

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:36:45 -0400)

Having been recently dumped for the nineteenth time by a girl named Katherine, recent high school graduate and former child prodigy Colin sets off on a road trip with his best friend to try to find some new direction in life while also trying to create a mathematical formula to explain his relationships.… (more)

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,251,689 books! | Top bar: Always visible