An Abundance of Katherines by John Green

An Abundance of Katherines (edition 2008)

by John Green

6,548319582 (3.92)296
Member:Lucamilion
Title:An Abundance of Katherines
Authors:John Green
Info:Speak (2008), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 272 pages

An Abundance of Katherines by John Green

Will Grayson, Will Grayson by John Green (SheReads)
    Looking for Alaska by John Green (mad.)
    mad.: this his john green's first book and although it has a completely different plot and characters it has the same style as an Abundance of Katherines
    Going Bovine by Libba Bray (foggidawn)
    foggidawn: Both are great stories using the metaphor of road-trip for self-discovery.
    The last Samurai by Helen DeWitt (Katya0133)
    Katya0133: another book about a child prodigy, very different in style, but I enjoyed both
    The Boyfriend List by E. Lockhart (Runa)
    In Watermelon Sugar by Richard Brautigan (Othemts)
    Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: Though they're not your typical love stories, there's plenty of romance in these offbeat, witty realistic stories of recent high school graduates setting off on new adventures (a road trip, college) that help them discover themselves.
    Tripping by Heather Waldorf (wegc)
    wegc: A teenager spends the summer on a hiking trip, facing up to her past and meeting new people. Similar coming-of-age themes.
    Paper Towns by John Green (Morteana)
    Notes From The Midnight Driver by Jordan Sonnenblick (Maiasaura)
    The Adventures of Blue Avenger by Norma Howe (suzanney)
    Infinity's Web by Sheila Finch (infiniteletters)
    Mindblind by Jennifer Roy (meggyweg)
    Spanking Shakespeare by Jake Wizner (meggyweg)
    A Prayer for Owen Meany by John Irving (Othemts)

English (310)  German (4)  Dutch (2)  Tagalog (1)  Spanish (1)  Danish (1)  All languages (319)
Nope. Nobody talks like this. Nobody could could find that many people with the same name and same spelling and date them. Plus, I dated a guy WAY too close to Colin, so nothing this character did could endear me; I already hated him for his rude and bizarre behavior. ( )
  imahorcrux | Jun 22, 2016 |
In the book Colin Singleton is a straight A prodigy with a weird dating system.He only dates Katherines. He.He has been dating them since he was in fourth grade. Katherine 1. The start of it all. Colin has dated 19 Katherine. Happy with all of them.But he gets dumped by every single one of them. He comes of with a therom called the dumpers and the dumpee.Colin was the dumpee. After.After Colin and his best friend graduate high school. they decide to go on a road trip.

During the road trip they take many stops t many different places in the whole united states. After a couple days they diced to stop in Gut shot Tennessee. To see the Archduke.During the time in Tennessee they make a new friend named Lindsey Lee Wells. While giving the tour They all become best friends.Later Colin and his best friend Hassan move in and get a job with Lindsey and her mother Hollis.Colin over his heartbreak with Kathrine 19. Starts to like Lindsey.In the ed of the book Colin and Lindsey and Colin soon break up on a mutual degree and they both finish their therom.
  alexs.b4 | Jun 9, 2016 |
Ah, I just really couldn't get into this book for some reason - it just felt a little bland and I felt disconnected with the characters.

I know some scenes were made to be quirky or funny, but the attempts fell flat for me. ( )
  CatherineHsu | Jun 8, 2016 |
Questions of identity and maturation on a summer adventure between high school and college. Gracefully written with both humor and pathos, even a bit of adventure. Made me really wish I'd stuck with my studies in math, but understanding the beauty of mathematics is by no means necessary to enjoy the characters and the story. ( )
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Jun 6, 2016 |
This was my first experience reading John Green.

I made the mistake of reading some of the reviews here first. Perhaps the negative reviews were because they had read John Green before and his other books are better, which can only mean that I will be a very happy camper when I read those other books.

There were several laugh-out-loud instances in this book that made it a pleasure to read. While I initially succumbed to the negative reviews and thought Colin was just a whiny nerd, it just wasn't so as I went on. Yes, he had neurosis; what child prodigy wouldn't? But I think he adapted better.

A great deal happened in this book. It wasn't a simplistic narrative. People went from seemingly one-dimensional to multi. The seemingly nagging mother was a great manipulator who knew that her once good daughter could return to that, could be made to see that she made a difference in the lives of those around her. Insight, morality, a glimpse of human nature =

A good read. ( )
  SaschaD | Apr 28, 2016 |

John Greenprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Bliss, DanielAppendixsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Woodman, JeffNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
"But the pleasure isn't owning the person. The pleasure is this. Having another contender in the room with you." -Philip Roth, The Human Stain
To my wife, Sarah Urist Green, anagrammatically: Her great Russian, Grin has treasure, A great risen rush, She is a rut-ranger; Anguish arrester; Sister; haranguer; Treasure-sharing, Heart-reassuring Signature Sharer Easing rare hurts.
The morning after noted child prodigy Colin Singleton graduated from high school and got dumped for the nineteenth time by a girl named Katherine, he took a bath.
You can love someone so much, he thought. But you can never love people as much as you miss them.
Books are the ultimate Dumpees: put them down and they'll wait for you forever; pay attention to them and they always love you back.
I don't think you can ever fill the empty space with the thing you lost. ... That's what I realized: if I did get her back somehow, she wouldn't fill the hole that losing her created.

When it comes to relationships, Colin Singleton’s type is girls named Katherine. And when it comes to girls named Katherine, Colin is always getting dumped. Nineteen times, to be exact. On a road trip miles from home, this anagram-happy, washed-up child prodigy has ten thousand dollars in his pocket, a bloodthirsty feral hog on his trail, and an overweight, Judge Judy–loving best friend riding shotgun—but no Katherines. Colin is on a mission to prove The Theorem of Underlying Katherine Predictability, which he hopes will predict the future of any relationship, avenge Dumpees everywhere, and finally win him the girl. Love, friendship, and a dead Austro-Hungarian archduke add up to surprising and heart-changing conclusions in this ingeniously layered comic novel about reinventing oneself.

A Michael L. Printz Honor Book
A Los Angeles Times Book Prize Finalist
An ALA BBYA
A Horn Book Fanfare Best Book of the Year
A Booklist Editors' Choice
A Kirkus Reviews Best Book of the Year

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:13:37 -0400)

Having been recently dumped for the nineteenth time by a girl named Katherine, recent high school graduate and former child prodigy Colin sets off on a road trip with his best friend to try to find some new direction in life while also trying to create a mathematical formula to explain his relationships.… (more)

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 106,720,173 books! | Top bar: Always visible