Maisie Dobbs by Jacqueline Winspear

Maisie Dobbs (2003)

by Jacqueline Winspear

Series: Maisie Dobbs (1)

A Duty to the Dead by Charles Todd (Anonymous user)
    A Killer in King's Cove by Iona Whishaw (vancouverdeb)
    vancouverdeb: Both books/ series feature a strong female sleuth.Both sleuths served in some capacity in WW11 Britain. Wonderful cozy mysteries with a twist.
    An Expert in Murder by Nicola Upson (lahochstetler)
    lahochstetler: Female detectives solve mysteries centering on the devastating consequences of WWI.
    The Return of Captain John Emmett by Elizabeth Speller (cushlareads)
    The Secret Adversary by Agatha Christie (cransell)
    Dead Man Riding by Gillian Linscott (christiguc)
    Gone West by Carola Dunn (cransell)

Excellent read with a good historical background ( )
  magnolia2 | Jun 16, 2019 |
This book just didn't work for me. Maisie Dobbs was mostly annoying and a very boring character and the story was very bland.I liked the ending, but probably not enough to want to read more books about Miss Dobbs unless anyone can convince me that they will get better. ( )
  MaraBlaise | May 19, 2019 |
Maisie Dobbs begins her life as the child of costermonger Frankie Dobbs in East London. When Maisie’s mother dies and Frankie has bills to pay and is emotionally bereft, he has her taken into service as a housemaid in the household of Lord Julian and Lady Rowena Compton

Maisie has a need to learn and begins using the library when the family is asleep. One night she is caught but not dismissed she is instead given an education that leads her to Cambridge and a university education.

When the war breaks out Maisie signs up as a nurse and serves in France in a forward section hospital. Here she sees the ravages and wounds of war.

This book shines a bright light on what the Great War was – and what it wrought on English families and servicemen. – only imagine they used “garlic juice” to disinfect the wounds; even at forward hospital stations there was no time for what is now our “triage” system, lives were saved but not necessarily futures. At the same time gives us a romance and a mystery. Recommended. ( )
  Bettesbooks | May 2, 2019 |
Newly established on her own as a detective, Maisie Dobbs is willing to take on a wide range of cases and thus takes on the case of a husband who believes his wife is being unfaithful. What she finds instead is a larger mystery around an estate who takes in those who have been physically and emotionally scarred by the Great War. As Maisie digs into what is happening at the estate, she will also have to deal with her own trauma from her time in the war.

I am spectacularly late to the Maisie Dobbs party but I'm very glad to join in. I thoroughly enjoyed both the mystery and the writing, which so beautifully crafts the realities of London in the late 1920s as well as the experiences of the troops during WWI. I eagerly look forward to my next adventure with Maisie. ( )
  MickyFine | May 1, 2019 |
A nice candy bar of a book set around the time of WWI. ( )
  gayjeg | Apr 25, 2019 |
A strong protagonist and a lively sense of time and place carry readers along, and the details lead to further thought and understanding about the futility and horror of war, as well as a desire to hear more of Maisie. This is the beginning of a series, and a propitious one at that.
added by khuggard | editSchool Library Journal

For a clever and resourceful young woman who has just set herself up in business as a private investigator, Maisie seems a bit too sober and much too sad.

Winspear, Jacquelineprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Barrington, RitaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Davidson, AndrewCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Now, he will spend a few sick years in institutes,
And do what things the rules consider wise,
And take whatever pity may dole.
Tonight he noticed how the women's eyes
Passed from him to the strong men that were whole.
How cold and late it is! Why don't they come
And put him to bed? Why don't they come?

Final verse "Disabled" by Wilfred Owen. It was drafted at Craiglockhart, a hospital for shell-shocked officers, in October 1917. Owen was killed on November 4, 1918, just one week before the armistice.
This book is dedicated to the memory of my paternal grandfather and my maternal grandmother.

JOHN "JACK" WINSPEAR sustained serious leg wounds during the Battle of the Somme in July 1916. Following convalescence, he returned to his work as a costermonger in southeast London.

CLARA FRANCES CLARK, nee Atterbury, was a munitions worker at the Woolwich Arsenal during the First World War. She was partially blinded in an explosion that killed several girls working in the same section alongside her. Clara later married and became the mother of ten children.
Even if she hadn't been the last person to walk through the turnstile at Warren Street tube station, Jack Barker would have noticed the tall, slender woman in the navy blue, thigh-length jacket with a matching pleated skirt short enough to reveal a well-turned ankle.
In seeking to fill your mind, I omitted to instruct you in the opposite exercise. This small book is for your daily writings, when the day is newborn and before you embark upon the richness of study and intellectual encounter. My instruction, Maisie, is to simply write a page each day. There is no set subject, save that which the waking mind has held close in sleep.
"Lord Compton has received word from the War Office that our horses are to be inspected for service this week.... I *cannot* let them go. I don't want to be unpatriotic, but they are my hunters." ... "Lady Compton. Our sympathies. The country needs one hundred and sixty-five thousand horses, but we need them to be fit, strong and able to be of service on the battlefield."
This Work is the first volume of Jacqueline Winspears' "Maisie Dobbs" Series (2003). Please distinguish it from Winspear's "Mysterious Profile" of the title character, which shares the Maisie Dobbs title but was written exclusively for the Mysterious Bookshop (#25 in a Series) and published in

limited, numbered or lettered editions.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0142004332, Paperback)

Hailed by NPR’s Fresh Air as part Testament of Youth, part Dorothy Sayers, and part Upstairs, Downstairs, this astonishing debut has already won fans from coast to coast and is poised to add Maisie Dobbs to the ranks of literature’s favorite sleuths.

Maisie Dobbs isn’t just any young housemaid. Through her own natural intelligence—and the patronage of her benevolent employers—she works her way into college at Cambridge. When World War I breaks out, Maisie goes to the front as a nurse. It is there that she learns that coincidences are meaningful and the truth elusive. After the War, Maisie sets up on her own as a private investigator. But her very first assignment, seemingly an ordinary infidelity case, soon reveals a much deeper, darker web of secrets, which will force Maisie to revisit the horrors of the Great War and the love she left behind.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:04:18 -0400)

Private detective Maisie Dobbs must investigate the reappearance of a dead man who turns up at a cooperative farm called the Retreat that caters to men who are recovering their health after World War I.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,561,472 books! | Top bar: Always visible