Maisie Dobbs (Book 1) by Jacqueline Winspear

Maisie Dobbs (Book 1) (original 2003; edition 2004)

by Jacqueline Winspear

Member:wstarmer
Title:Maisie Dobbs (Book 1)
Authors:Jacqueline Winspear
Info:Penguin Books (2004), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 294 pages
Collections:History & Historical Fiction, Your library
Rating:***
Tags:Fiction, Mystery, Historical Fiction

Maisie Dobbs by Jacqueline Winspear (2003)

A fun mystery, although the writing is a little amateurish. The story became more interesting toward the end. I wonder if the writing and pacing improved in subsequent novels. I might try another, being the Anglophile that I am. ( )
  fromthecomfychair | Feb 11, 2016 |
This book just didn't work for me. Maisie Dobbs was mostly annoying and a very boring character and the story was very bland.I liked the ending, but probably not enough to want to read more books about Miss Dobbs unless anyone can convince me that they will get better. ( )
  MaraBlaise | Feb 9, 2016 |
  DariaZav | Feb 9, 2016 |
Maisie Dobbs by Jacqueline Winspear
294 pages

★★★★

Description from Amazon: Maisie Dobbs isn’t just any young housemaid. Through her own natural intelligence—and the patronage of her benevolent employers—she works her way into college at Cambridge. When World War I breaks out, Maisie goes to the front as a nurse. It is there that she learns that coincidences are meaningful and the truth elusive. After the War, Maisie sets up on her own as a private investigator. But her very first assignment, seemingly an ordinary infidelity case, soon reveals a much deeper, darker web of secrets, which will force Maisie to revisit the horrors of the Great War and the love she left behind.

While this novel is marketed as a mystery, I found it more of an intriguing historical fiction with a dash of mystery thrown in. Since the mystery genre is not a norm for me, I didn’t know what to expect but I can say that I truly enjoyed this novel. I felt like the characters were well-rounded as was the storyline. It was a book that was difficult for me to put down, I couldn’t help but wonder what would happen next. Maisie Dobbs was a strong, wonderful female character which I love since so many authors seem to miss that. A star was taken away due to feeling rushed in some areas and also the over explanation of some of the mystery elements. Too bad this book is only the first in a series…I really didn’t need another series to start but alas I’m afraid I will continue to see where Maisie Dobb’s life goes. ( )
  UberButter | Feb 9, 2016 |
I one hundred percent am not giving this a remotely fair chance, and I know that. I read a few pages and was totally bored, and I can't even remember why I wanted to read it except that people talk about Maisie Dobbs as a great female character, which is obviously appealing, but the thing is that I've just come across not one but two Caitlin Moran books I'd been looking for. So... back on the to-read list this goes. Remind me to pick it up again in the future.
  mirikayla | Feb 8, 2016 |
A strong protagonist and a lively sense of time and place carry readers along, and the details lead to further thought and understanding about the futility and horror of war, as well as a desire to hear more of Maisie. This is the beginning of a series, and a propitious one at that.
added by khuggard | editSchool Library Journal

For a clever and resourceful young woman who has just set herself up in business as a private investigator, Maisie seems a bit too sober and much too sad.

Now, he will spend a few sick years in institutes,
And do what things the rules consider wise,
And take whatever pity may dole.
Tonight he noticed how the women's eyes
Passed from him to the strong men that were whole.
How cold and late it is! Why don't they come
And put him to bed? Why don't they come?

Final verse "Disabled" by Wilfred Owen. It was drafted at Craiglockhart, a hospital for shell-shocked officers, in October 1917. Owen was killed on November 4, 1918, just one week before the armistice.
This book is dedicated to the memory of my paternal grandfather and my maternal grandmother.

JOHN "JACK" WINSPEAR sustained serious leg wounds during the Battle of the Somme in July 1916. Following convalescence, he returned to his work as a costermonger in southeast London.

CLARA FRANCES CLARK, nee Atterbury, was a munitions worker at the Woolwich Arsenal during the First World War. She was partially blinded in an explosion that killed several girls working in the same section alongside her. Clara later married and became the mother of ten children.
Even if she hadn't been the last person to walk through the turnstile at Warren Street tube station, Jack Barker would have noticed the tall, slender woman in the navy blue, thigh-length jacket with a matching pleated skirt short enough to reveal a well-turned ankle.
In seeking to fill your mind, I omitted to instruct you in the opposite exercise. This small book is for your daily writings, when the day is newborn and before you embark upon the richness of study and intellectual encounter. My instruction, Maisie, is to simply write a page each day. There is no set subject, save that which the waking mind has held close in sleep.
"Lord Compton has received word from the War Office that our horses are to be inspected for service this week.... I *cannot* let them go. I don't want to be unpatriotic, but they are my hunters." ... "Lady Compton. Our sympathies. The country needs one hundred and sixty-five thousand horses, but we need them to be fit, strong and able to be of service on the battlefield."

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0142004332, Paperback)

Hailed by NPR’s Fresh Air as part Testament of Youth, part Dorothy Sayers, and part Upstairs, Downstairs, this astonishing debut has already won fans from coast to coast and is poised to add Maisie Dobbs to the ranks of literature’s favorite sleuths.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:04:18 -0400)

Private detective Maisie Dobbs must investigate the reappearance of a dead man who turns up at a cooperative farm called the Retreat that caters to men who are recovering their health after World War I.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,246,573 books! | Top bar: Always visible