Maisie Dobbs (Book 1) by Jacqueline Winspear

Maisie Dobbs (Book 1) (original 2003; edition 2004)

by Jacqueline Winspear

Title:Maisie Dobbs (Book 1)
Authors:Jacqueline Winspear
Info:Penguin Books (2004), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 294 pages
Collections:History & Historical Fiction, Your library
Tags:Fiction, Mystery, Historical Fiction

Maisie Dobbs by Jacqueline Winspear (2003)

@maisie_dobbs +mom ( )
  Lorem | Sep 4, 2015 |
Fascinating, compassionate, heart-wrenching, beautiful. I love Maisie the girl, the nurse, the lover, the independent investigator, but most of all, the compassionate woman. I love Maurice who believed in her and supported her and exposed her to meditation (through Kahn) to keep herself sane in the midst of mayhem. I love Winspear's eloquence, attention to observation and detail, and historical acumen. I love that there are many more books in the series, so I can spend more time with Maisie! ( )
  bookwren | Sep 1, 2015 |
Listened to the first story in this series and really enjoyed it. ( )
  tangledthread | Aug 27, 2015 |
I noticed that a friend on GoodReads has read all of the books in the Maisie Dobbs series, so I thought I would give it a try. I really liked it and now have 10 more to read! At times, I felt like I was reading a supplement to Downton Abbey, since a lot of this first in the series revolved around the maids and servants in a big manor house in early 20th century England. Maise, at first a poor maid, is recognized for her intelligence, and given the opportunity to study, eventually go to college and become a private detective of sorts. In this first book, she presents as a cross between Sherlock Holmes and Patrick Jane of The Mentalist. I think I will enjoy this series! ( )
  TheresaCIncinnati | Aug 17, 2015 |
The audio books are read by a fantastic lady. Check those out. Wonderful voice, great accent.
  stefcattaneo | Aug 4, 2015 |
A strong protagonist and a lively sense of time and place carry readers along, and the details lead to further thought and understanding about the futility and horror of war, as well as a desire to hear more of Maisie. This is the beginning of a series, and a propitious one at that.
added by khuggard | editSchool Library Journal
For a clever and resourceful young woman who has just set herself up in business as a private investigator, Maisie seems a bit too sober and much too sad.
Now, he will spend a few sick years in institutes,
And do what things the rules consider wise,
And take whatever pity may dole.
Tonight he noticed how the women's eyes
Passed from him to the strong men that were whole.
How cold and late it is! Why don't they come
And put him to bed? Why don't they come?

Final verse "Disabled" by Wilfred Owen. It was drafted at Craiglockhart, a hospital for shell-shocked officers, in October 1917. Owen was killed on November 4, 1918, just one week before the armistice.
This book is dedicated to the memory of my paternal grandfather and my maternal grandmother.

JOHN "JACK" WINSPEAR sustained serious leg wounds during the Battle of the Somme in July 1916. Following convalescence, he returned to his work as a costermonger in southeast London.

CLARA FRANCES CLARK, nee Atterbury, was a munitions worker at the Woolwich Arsenal during the First World War. She was partially blinded in an explosion that killed several girls working in the same section alongside her. Clara later married and became the mother of ten children.
Even if she hadn't been the last person to walk through the turnstile at Warren Street tube station, Jack Barker would have noticed the tall, slender woman in the navy blue, thigh-length jacket with a matching pleated skirt short enough to reveal a well-turned ankle.
In seeking to fill your mind, I omitted to instruct you in the opposite exercise. This small book is for your daily writings, when the day is newborn and before you embark upon the richness of study and intellectual encounter. My instruction, Maisie, is to simply write a page each day. There is no set subject, save that which the waking mind has held close in sleep.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0142004332, Paperback)

Hailed by NPR’s Fresh Air as part Testament of Youth, part Dorothy Sayers, and part Upstairs, Downstairs, this astonishing debut has already won fans from coast to coast and is poised to add Maisie Dobbs to the ranks of literature’s favorite sleuths.

Maisie Dobbs isn’t just any young housemaid. Through her own natural intelligence—and the patronage of her benevolent employers—she works her way into college at Cambridge. When World War I breaks out, Maisie goes to the front as a nurse. It is there that she learns that coincidences are meaningful and the truth elusive. After the War, Maisie sets up on her own as a private investigator. But her very first assignment, seemingly an ordinary infidelity case, soon reveals a much deeper, darker web of secrets, which will force Maisie to revisit the horrors of the Great War and the love she left behind.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:04:18 -0400)

Private detective Maisie Dobbs must investigate the reappearance of a dead man who turns up at a cooperative farm called the Retreat that caters to men who are recovering their health after World War I.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,786,629 books! | Top bar: Always visible