Hunter's Moon by David Devereux

Hunter's Moon

by David Devereux

Series: Jack (1)

Don’t really know where to start with this book. At times gruesome, at other times incredibly childish….. Imagine you are a 13 year old boy, interested in James Bond and the Ghostbusters, mixed in with a juvenile fascination with sex. You sit down and decide to write a book, giving yourself only a few days to do so. I think your finished product would be very similar to Hunters Moon.

The plot centres around an unnamed assassin but we can call him Jack) working for an undercover MI5 type institution. However, there is a difference. He is highly skilled in the black arts/magic/witchcraft etc

Jack is assigned to a case to stop a terrorist organisation run by lesbians with the ability to alter mind through using sexual tension. Along the way he enlist the help of various ex colleagues, including a retired man in black and the spirit of his dead friend.

The book is written in the first person and in a style that would not be suited to everyone. Often quite abruptly written and almost with an underdeveloped feel to the plot.

I can’t say it was a bad or a good read. The pages seemed to by quickly enough, although at times I did feel like throwing it out the window. ( )
  Bridgey | Jun 6, 2011 |
I think I originally saw this tagged or otherwise referenced Cthulhu somewhere. Nothing on the blurb suggested mythos, but I've chased down flimsier leads. To be fair, I doubt the author wanted to have his book considered mythos.

This book is a sort of extreme testosterone-driven response to the genre of Mercy Thompson, Harry Dresden and Anita Blake. Maybe for techie fans, naaaah, the fans of Jack Reacher or Tom Clancy type books who want a little fantasy fix? That's probably a better fit. The protagonist, Jack, is employed by the British government to basically kill anyone who uses summoning magic to disrupt the general welfare. He is allowed to stomp on civil rights (and hold in contempt those who don't), murder, steal and torture in any way that seems reasonable. He can also occupy the moral high ground while doing it. It's sort of a really macho Laundry series without the wit or humor.

Anyway, in this book Jack is tracking down a coven who are trying to asassinate the PM. The motives of this group are pretty sketchy but at one point someone mentions maybe it's the cult of Azathoth, and the Jack notes he has not found a copy of the Necronimicon around. That's it for the direct mythos references. Whether Azathoth is real in this world, or other mythosian entities/tropes have any bearing, is never further addressed. As for Lovecraftian sensibilities otherwise, there are none. This book is as subtle as a brick.

I think anyone could polish it off in an airplane ride if they were so inclined, but I found it pretty much devoid of humor, and the 'hero' was an unappealing sociopathic misanthrope, whom I guess is supposed to represent the pinnacle of British manhood. He even gets to beat up and humiliate a few Americans. All would have been forgiven except for the wooden characters, pedestrian dialogue, aimless plot and weak prose.

Mythos fans can safely pass it by. ( )
  carpentermt | Sep 20, 2010 |
This one left me reeling. It's the story of Jack, well that's the name he's using when he introduces himself. He also says that he's "a musician by choice, a magician by profession and a bastard by disposition." and if that puts you off you should stop now. He was "encouraged" to join in the fight against evil magic and evil generally and does it with no qualm of conscience. He has accepted his job and is going to do it.

This time he's investigating a women's group, there have been some disappearances associated with it and this group seems to be getting their fingers in magic as well. He's authorised to use lethal force, and he does. As well as torture and all sorts of unpleasant things. But somehow he does all this calmly, in a very Dexter way, and the magic is a tool, something that he uses rather like the knife he's fond of.

There are some pretty intense scenes of torture and some sex involved so this one is definitely not for younger people, but he's a compelling character, no matter how unpleasant. ( )
  wyvernfriend | Nov 2, 2009 |
Hunter's Moon is very hard to classify or pin down to a specific genre. The book would seem at home in Mystery, SciFi-Fantasy, Espionage-Spy thrillers, etc.

The story is presented from the point of view of a secret British agent working to stop the forces of evil from doing bad things with magic. We only know the agent as Jack - he never reveals his real name. We soon learn that Jack is not averse to using black magic or committing serve bodily harm to accomplish his goals. In fact, that is his preferred method. He is a mix of James Bond, the evil parts of the Nightside's John Taylor, one part Felix Castor without the remorse all the while fueled with sex, drugs, and tai chi.

The writing and characters are first rate and the surprises were exactly that - nothing is given away. Clues are trickled out one by one leading the reader to solve the mystery along with Jack. The villain is unexpected and of course, evil. Magic is utilized in an eminently practical manner, with the protagonist's abilities and uses of magic treated like any other tool or device except it is unknown to the general public or at least unacknowledged. Very little time is spent exploring the secret of Jack's use of magic; of far greater importance is the mundane danger he is investigating.

I'm lookng forward to Jack's next adventure. ( )
  Jawin | Aug 30, 2009 |

"My name is unimportant, but you can call me Jack. I'm a musician by choice, a magician by profession, and a bastard by disposition. I'd been doing the magic thing for about five years when they found me. They said I had a talent, that I was smart enough and fit enough and enough of a shit that I could serve my country in a way most people never even get to hear about. And I did want to serve my country, didn't I? I didn't really want to contemplate what might happen if I said no."

And so Jack found himself on the front line of a secret war that most people simply wouldn't believe was possible, working for a secret organization tasked with defending England from whatever supernatural threat faces it. MI5 know nothing about it and would laugh if they found out—but they wouldn't laugh for long. Whether wiping out a group of demon summoners, infiltrating a coven determined to assassinate the prime minister, or rooting out a neo-Nazi sect who are trying to bring back Hitler from the dead, Jack is a very modern sort of magician—trained in a variety of the dark arts but also handy with firearms and skilled in unarmed combat and electronic surveillance. David Devereux has combined lightning action with dark supernatural thrills and produced a blistering new breed of supernatural thriller.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:25:20 -0400)

Jack's a magician and exorcist employed by the British government in a secret war so bizarre, so terrifying, that the public wouldn't believe it even if they knew about it.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,401,188 books! | Top bar: Always visible