Me: Stories of My Life by Katharine Hepburn

Me: Stories of My Life (1991)

by Katharine Hepburn

1,198136,687 (3.66)19
Recently added bypaulsjsu, kathytapia, Haneknits, Sitting_Room, drmom62, gbelik, robnbrwn, lcr317, Escape3kids, private library
Legacy LibrariesKatharine Hepburn

English (12)  Spanish (1)  All languages (13)
This was a quick, entertaining book. Hepburn was such a fascinating person.

While most celebrity bios, at least today, seem to be written by someone else, and not much more than self-aggrandizing publicity efforts, this seemed to me to be the real deal - honest, open, no excuses. It really did seem to be written by a woman who had lived a fascinating life, who had reached her last few years, and who was looking back; remembering, taking stock.

It was very enjoyable. ( )
  bookwoman247 | Mar 25, 2014 |
Own it in Danish (published in Denmark), but want to read this fantastic autobiography in its original language, English.
  classicmaiden | Jul 8, 2013 |
This is probably my favorite memoir. I had been a fan of Hepburn's films before reading this book, but I felt I knew her as a person after completing it. Her wry sense of humor and noncomformist attitude made her life an interesting one and made this book fun to read. Hepburn does discuss sad times as well, highlighting her brother's death at 15 and her partner Spencer Tracy's long illness and death. Hepburn's tale of how she wasn't allowed at Tracy's funeral is a particularly poignant moment. ( )
  jennastine | Apr 29, 2013 |
4-stars for the delightful good time spent with Ms Hepburn chatting about this, that, and the other thing, an occasional gem of wisdom popping out now and then almost just by accident. The best stories are the little ones, such as the one about the only guy who stopped to help her and a friend change a tire by the side of the road, and was so busy shitting bricks over his dumb luck that he refused to believe she really was who he thought she was, even after she showed him a piece of mail with her name on it. I love imagining her digging around in the car to find something to prove to this guy he wasn't nuts, and the story he must have told about that the rest of his life. Mostly, I adore her distaste for whiners and refusal to become one herself-- which is probably why she could be found, at 70-some years old, doing this:

Katharine Hepburn proving she really is as freakin' awesome!!! as I expected.

5-stars for skateboarding in a parking lot-- I love this woman. I want to be like her when I grow up. ( )
  gunsofbrixton | Apr 1, 2013 |
GREAT CONDITION ( )
  leslie440 | Jan 5, 2012 |

Katharine Hepburnprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Heikkinen, EevaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Verhalen uit mijn leven
To Mother and Dad
I have a friend who keeps asking me why I am writing this book. (Prologue)
Before I tell you anything about myself, I would like to tell you, or at least identify for you, the world into which I was born.

Admired and beloved by movie audiences for over sixty years, four-time Academy Award-winner Katharine Hepburn is an American classic. Now Miss Hepburn breaks her long-kept silence about her private life in this absorbing and provocative memoir.

A NEW YORK TIMES Notable Book of the Year

A Book-of-the-Month-Club Main Selection

From the Paperback edition.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:22:14 -0400)

Hepburn's self-portrait telling of her childhood, her family life, and the ups and downs of her career.

Legacy Library: Katharine Hepburn

Katharine Hepburn has a Legacy Library. Legacy libraries are the personal libraries of famous readers, entered by LibraryThing members from the Legacy Libraries group.

See Katharine Hepburn's legacy profile.

See Katharine Hepburn's author page.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,483,447 books! | Top bar: Always visible