Dead and Berried by Karen MacInerney

Natalie Barnes, proprietor of the Gray Wale B&B, is worried about her part-time helper Polly Sarkes, and decides to kill 2 birds with one stone and heads to Polly cottage to check on her and pick some cranberries in the nearby bog. What she finds is not the cranberries she was looking for but Polly dead - apparently suicide. But things don't seem right to Natalie and so she decides to ask a few questions. Matters get away from her and she has to swim fast to avoid drowning in the middle of all the issues. ( )
  cyderry | Jun 15, 2015 |
Like most cozy mysteries, this one relies on a lovely setting - Cranberry Island off the coast of Down East Maine, a likeable protagonist (and sometime amateur detective) innkeeper Natalie Barnes, a local law enforcement officer (in this case a romantic interest of the innkeeper's), and villainous villains who are threatening to convert the idyllic village into a high-scale resort.  There's the obligatory murder and Natalie feels honor-bound to
help identify and capture the perpetrator, while dealing with needed repairs to the Inn, a reappearing and less than welcome ex-fiance, and a cooling friendship with her previous best bud.

As seems to be almost de rigeur these days for New England mysteries anyway, the story includes several delicious sounding recipes. Both the ingredients for the goodies and for the mystery are bound to make this a treat for cozy lovers who want to spend a day in Maine, even if it's only in the pages of a book. ( )
  tututhefirst | Jul 26, 2014 |
Sometimes you just need a cozy mystery. This series is less predictable than most, and it comes with recipes! ( )
  wwrawson | Mar 31, 2013 |
I like a good cozy mystery now and then, and this was a good cozy mystery. The setting is charming, the emphasis on food entertaining (although it made me hungry) and the mystery was well-crafted and the reveal actually a surprise. (I was convinced I had the killer totally pegged at least twice. I did not.)

The only minor downside was the ex-fiance plotline, which didn't really work for me because he was just such an unappealing jerk - I couldn't really buy that she'd consider getting back together with him for a minute. It's possible I'm missing some character development, since I have not read the first book in the series, and I am consistently hard on romance plotlines everywhere anyway. ( )
  JeremyPreacher | Mar 30, 2013 |
Good, easy read. And recipes at the end that were mentioned in the book. ( )
  ritaliccious | Jul 29, 2009 |
For Eric, my partner in crime—and everything else.
I love you!
I had gotten used to nighttime noises.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 073870914X, Paperback)

In this delicious follow-up to Murder on the Rocks, developers have returned to Cranberry Island. This time, they're planning to wipe out a natural cranberry bog, along with the island's namesake berries, to build a luxury subdivision. Natalie Barnes isn't sweet on the idea of commercial interests souring their cozy oasis, but the single innkeeper has other problems on her plate: a withering relationship with her best friend Charlene, the sudden appearance of her ex-fiancé with a tempting proposal, and eerie bumps in the night suggesting the Gray Whale Inn is haunted. Worst of all, there's a killer on the loose, picking off people like ripe fruit.

When Charlene's lover–the handsome chaplain with a stake in the development– is stabbed to death, Natalie promises to find the murderer for her griefstricken friend, who's also the number-one suspect.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:14:05 -0400)

In this delicious follow-up to Murder on the Rocks, developers have returned to Cranberry Island. This time, they're planning to wipe out a natural cranberry bog, along with the island's namesake berries, to build a luxury subdivision. Natalie Barnes isn't sweet on the idea of commercial interests souring their cosy oasis, but the single innkeeper has other problems on her plate: a withering relationship with her best friend Charlene, the sudden appearance of her ex-fianc with a tempting proposal, and eerie bumps in the night suggesting the Gray Whale Inn is haunted. Worst of all, there's a killer on the loose, picking off people like ripe fruit. When Charlene's lover--the handsome chaplain with a stake in the development-- is stabbed to death, Natalie promises to find the murderer for her grief-stricken friend, who's also the number-one suspect.… (more)

Karen MacInerney is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,014,792 books! | Top bar: Always visible