The Likeness: A Novel by Tana French

The Likeness: A Novel (edition 2009)

by Tana French

Member:tamarajp
Title:The Likeness: A Novel
Authors:Tana French
Info:Penguin (Non-Classics) (2009), Paperback, 480 pages
Tags:read in 2009

The Likeness by Tana French

The Secret History by Donna Tartt (tangentialine, cransell, GodOfTheAnthill, danibrecher, Booksloth)
    tangentialine: Same sense of the mysterious, same sense of intense psychological speculation.
    Faithful Place by Tana French (ijustgetbored)
    ijustgetbored: This book picks up Frank Mackey's story from where it left off in The Likeness.
    Judas Child by Carol O'Connell (VictoriaPL)
    The Little Friend by Donna Tartt (rbtanger)
    rbtanger: The similarities between these two books are numerous, in spite of the fact that one takes place in Ireland in the 1980s and one in the 1970s American South. If you enjoyed one, I think it highly probable you will enjoy the other.
    Bone by Bone by Carol O'Connell (amyblue)
    A Darker Domain by Val McDermid (kraaivrouw)
    Special Topics in Calamity Physics by Marisha Pessl (Sammiwithani)
    Sammiwithani: Also about a group of elite school friends dealing with a mysterious death in their circle
    A Fatal Inversion by Barbara Vine (Bookmarque, Ling.Lass)
    Bookmarque: Similar in that it features murder and a group of young adults living together in an inherited estate in what they think is an idyll.
    Ling.Lass: Reconstructing what led to a murder among an eclectic and tight-knit group of housemates.
    The Strange Death of Fiona Griffiths by Harry Bingham (wandering_star)
    wandering_star: Two gripping mystery stories about a police officer working undercover.
    The Poison Tree by Erin Kelly (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    Brat Farrar by Josephine Tey (Anonymous user)
    The Distant Echo by Val McDermid (amyblue)
    The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo by Stieg Larsson (fyrefly98)
    fyrefly98: Both are solid, well-written, character-driven detective stories.

English (232)  German (2)  Italian (1)  Dutch (1)  Swedish (1)  All languages (237)
This one's even better than In The Woods. I really enjoy holding over one Murder Squad detective in each novel. It provides continuity but prevents the necessity of updating one single relationship between partners. Cassie, delightful in the first novel, is the focus of this one, in a case that is based on mistaken identity by the suspects in a murder. The meat of the plot focuses on a group of five housemates, all of whom meet at college, and the incredibly strong, seemingly unbreakable ties between them. The group dynamic, even over a short period of weeks, is so vividly rendered that the reader really, REALLY feels that they are in the house with them all. There's not one outstanding sentence or quote - just the cohesion and the ever escalating tension of the finest mystery writing. ( )
  froxgirl | Aug 28, 2018 |
The second of Tana French’s Dublin Murder Squad series, the Likeness, casts its spotlight on Cassie Maddox. The witty and fearless detective appeared in French’s In the Woods as the main character’s partner and best friend. This time, Cassie takes on the role of narrator, and tells another thrilling story of events that take place after the conclusion of the first book. Readers would definitely benefit from reading the first novel, but would not find it necessary in order to enjoy this one. Cassie, having now moved on from the Murder Squad into a new position in Domestic Violence, gets a call from her boyfriend, Sam (who is still with the Squad). He asks for her help on a curious case that he has just been called out on. When she arrives at the scene, Cassie is surprised to also encounter her former boss from the undercover division. Frank Mackey was her supervisor when she left that job after being injured while on a mission. His presence at this scene is explained when she sees the victim. Not only does the dead woman look exactly like Cassie, she also had been using her old undercover identity, “Lexie Madison.” Frank wants her to use both her undercover and murder squad experience to impersonate the woman and solve the mystery of her death and discover her real origins. The real challenge would be deceiving the classmates that the deceased was living with- a group of strangely over-attached misfits from the college nearby. They seem to know each other to an uncanny degree, won’t talk to outsiders and are, of course, the main suspects in the murder investigation. Cassie needs to infiltrate their group and maintain their trust, using only phone video recordings to get into character. As she gets deeper into the ruse, she contends with her own search for belonging and a burgeoning desire to discover what she really wants for her own future. What is so amazing about this book is that it requires a huge suspension of disbelief and acceptance of extreme coincidence on the part of the reader-a feat that only a writer as skilled as Tana French could evoke. The next book in the series, Faithful Place, continues her exploration of different character arcs with a story involving Frank Mackey. Mystery fans who enjoy a more literary style, doppelganger fiction, and the 1992 novel Secret History (by Donna Tartt) would find much to enjoy in French’s excellent second outing. ( )
  jnmegan | Jul 31, 2018 |
A bit far fetched - detective that looks exactly like murder victim and goes undercover to impersonate her and none of her close, intimate friends suspect that she is an impostor. It was a good story, but I kept waiting for some explanation as to Lexie being Cassie's double and how she was able to pilfer her undercover identity. I loved In the Woods, Tana French's first novel', but this was too 'wordy' and implausible. The reason for the 3 stars is she drew me into the story of the five friends and their lives inside Whitethorne House. ( )
  almin | Jul 29, 2018 |
I really enjoyed this story. There were a couple sections near the end where I wasn't really sure what was happening, but the rest of the story really captured my attention. I would really like to see a movie version of this book. ( )
  boredness | Jun 13, 2018 |
This only gets a three star because I love her writing style and characters. The plot of this book was ridiculous. I didn't buy any of it for a minute. I was disappointed. I am happy I listened to another Goodreads friend and skipped this book initially and went straight to the third one in the series (they don't have to be read in order). I lived the third book but probably would never have gone to it after this novel. I hope she has worked out all her plotting issues now. ( )
  CSDaley | Mar 28, 2018 |
Although she overburdens the traditional police-procedural form with the weight of romance, psychological suspense, social history and mythic legend, she sets a vivid scene for her complex characters, who seem entirely capable of doing the unexpected.

Tolv år gamle Adam Ryan lekte i skogen sammen med de to beste vennene sine en vakker solkinnsdag.Han så dem aldri igjen.Tjue år senere er Adam, eller Rob som han kaller seg nå, etterforsker i Dublin-politiet. Kollegene kjenner ikke til bakgrunnen hans som offer for en forbrytelse. Partneren hans er Cassie Maddox. Rob og Cassie får saken da en jente blir funnet drept på et steinalter midt i en arkeologisk utgravning. Først da de kommer til åstedet skjønner Rob at dette er det samme stedet som der vennene hans forsvant den gangen for lenge siden.Og da de finner en hårspenne som han gjenkjenner som en venninnen hans hadde, melder spørsmålet seg: Er det en sammenheng mellom det som skjedde den gangen og mordet de skal etterforske nå? Rob vet at dersom han avslører sin fortid for andre enn Cassie kommer han til å bli tatt av saken; han tar en skjebnesvanger avgjørelse om å tie. Sammen med Cassie skal han oppklare mordet på Katy Devlin, og han håper at han dermed også vil løse gåten i sin egen fortid.

Tana Frenchprimary authorall editionscalculated
Koen, ViktorCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
O'Neill, HeatherNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wang, JenCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Anthony, For a million reasons
Some nights, if I'm sleeping on my own, I still dream about Whitethorn House.
Someone else may have dealt the hand, but I picked it up off the table, I played every card, and I had my reasons.
I found out early that you can throw yourself away, missing what you've lost.
There are some social circles where manners are a sign of weakness.
I wanted to tell her that being loved is a talent too, that it takes as much guts and as much work as loving; that some people, for whatever reason, never learn the knack.

Still traumatised by her brush with a psychopath, Detective Cassie Maddox transfers out of the Murder squad and starts a relationship with fellow detective Sam O'Neill. When he calls her to the scene of his new case, she is shocked to find that the murdered girl is her double. What's more, her ID show she is Lexie Madison - the identity Cassie used, years ago, as an undercover detective.

With no leads, no suspects and no clues to Lexie's real identity, Cassie's old boss spots the opportunity of a lifetime: send Cassie undercover in her place, to tempt the killer out of hiding to finish the job.

The haunting follow up to the Edgar Award-winning debut In the Woods

Tana French astonished critics and readers alike with her mesmerizing debut novel, In the Woods. Now both French and Detective Cassie Maddox return to unravel a case even more sinister and enigmatic than the first. Six months after the events of In the Woods, an urgent telephone call beckons Cassie to a grisly crime scene. The victim looks exactly like Cassie and carries ID identifying herself as Alexandra Madison, an alias Cassie once used. Suddenly, Cassie must discover not only who killed this girl, but, more importantly, who is this girl? A disturbing tale of shifting identities, The Likeness firmly establishes Tana French as an important voice in suspense fiction. And look for French's new mystery, Broken Harbor, for more of the Dublin Murder Squad.

The "expertly rendered, gripping new novel" (Janet Maslin, The New York Times)-from the bestselling author of In the Woods and The Likeness.
Tana French's In the Woods and The Likeness captivated readers by introducing them to her unique, character-driven style and her new mystery, Broken Harbor, is eagerly anticipated. Her singular skill at creating richly drawn, complex worlds makes her novels not mere whodunits but brilliant and satisfying novels about memory, identity, loss, and what defines us as humans. With Faithful Place, the highly praised third novel about the Dublin Murder squad, French takes readers into the mind of Frank Mackey, the hotheaded mastermind of The Likeness, as he wrestles with his own past and the family, the lover, and the neighborhood he thought he'd left behind for good.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:08:51 -0400)

Six months after the events of In the Woods, Detective Cassie Maddox is still trying to recover. She's transferred out of the murder squad and started a relationship with Detective Sam O'Neill, but she's too badly shaken to make a commitment to him or to her career. Then Sam calls her to the scene of his new case: a young woman found stabbed to death in a small town outside Dublin. The dead girl's ID says her name is Lexie Madison--the identity Cassie used years ago as an undercover detective--and she looks exactly like Cassie--From publisher description.… (more)

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,156,975 books! | Top bar: Always visible