La somiglianza by French Tana
Other authors:Bagnoli K.
Info:A. Mondadori
Tags:2000, gialli

The Likeness by Tana French

The Secret History by Donna Tartt (tangentialine, cransell, GodOfTheAnthill, danibrecher, Booksloth)
    tangentialine: Same sense of the mysterious, same sense of intense psychological speculation.
    Faithful Place by Tana French (elvisettey)
    elvisettey: This book picks up Frank Mackey's story from where it left off in The Likeness.
    Judas Child by Carol O'Connell (VictoriaPL)
    The Little Friend by Donna Tartt (rbtanger)
    rbtanger: The similarities between these two books are numerous, in spite of the fact that one takes place in Ireland in the 1980s and one in the 1970s American South. If you enjoyed one, I think it highly probable you will enjoy the other.
    Bone by Bone by Carol O'Connell (amyblue)
    A Fatal Inversion by Barbara Vine (Bookmarque)
    Bookmarque: Similar in that it features murder and a group of young adults living together in an inherited estate in what they think is an idyll.
    A Darker Domain by Val McDermid (kraaivrouw)
    Brat Farrar by Josephine Tey (Anonymous user)
    The Distant Echo by Val McDermid (amyblue)
    The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo by Stieg Larsson (fyrefly98)
    fyrefly98: Both are solid, well-written, character-driven detective stories.

English (173)  German (2)  Dutch (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (177)
Once again, I loved French's writing. Her descriptions of Whitethorn House and how it made Cassie feel gave me the impression that I was walking the halls and grounds with her, or sitting up a tree with her in a country lane in the chill night air. It was great to see a Dublin Murder Squad story from Cassie's point of view, to watch how her mind works and to see her take on certain events from the previous book (which I won't give away, just in case). The mystery level in this one was great. I could never decide who my best bet for the culprit was, and the ending came fast and furious and kept me reading until 3 a.m.. Another great one from French. I definitely intend to keep following the Dublin Murder Squad and their adventures! ( )
  athenaharmony | Aug 24, 2014 |
Ain't nobody looking out for my heart in this series, but me. I thought… but I guess that was just wishful thinking.

JennyJen | Aug 14, 2014 |
The second book in a series is usually dedicated to revealing more of a character than what we saw in the first book, however in "THE LIKENESS" Cassie Maddox has to go back to the undercover role that she played in the first book because that identity has been stolen and used by the victim in this book.

The case dubbed Operation Mirror is unusual because one would think that if the identity had been stolen, then Cassie would be unable to physically reclaim it, however, the victim is the spitting image of Cassie.

Frank Mackey, Cassie's undercover boss, borrows her from her everyday Domestic Violence team, and sets to work preparing her to undertake the impersonation of the victim to try and find the murderer. Frank drills her for a week on all the details hat he can find out about the dead Lexie and then reveals to her housemates that she will be coming home with memory loss of the attack and some of the time around then.

Frank sends her into Whitethorn House which Lexie had shared with 4 other students. Cassie/Lexie is bandaged as if she had survived the attack and underneath the bandage she is wired. But certain details were not in Cassie/Lexie's training and she has to tread lightly so as to not give up her secret.

Cassie/Lexie's appearance has the others rattled believing that she had been fatally wounded. But slowly Cassie becomes the friend that they lost and she works to undercover what really happened the night of Lexie Madison's murder.

Cassie is changed by the experience, at times wishing that she was Lexie because of the camaraderie of the group, and finding that times she wants to protect her "friends" from the police. The contrast of their closeness to her real life where she has few friends and currently a boyfriend who doesn't agree with her assignment, have Cassie putting herself in danger.

By the time I had read 12 pages, I was hooked. The story was so engaging that I literally couldn't put it down. It had to fall out of my hand before I would turn out the light to sleep. Yes, the book could have been edited down to fewer pages and still told the story, but then the reader would have missed out on the growth of the character and the complex interactions between all of the characters. A great follow-up on the first from the series! ( )
5 vote cyderry | Aug 7, 2014 |
pretty good, but not her best.
  KRoan | Jul 25, 2014 |
I started reading Tana French's books because I wanted to get a flavor for contemporary Irish life. I'm getting that, in spades, but I'm also getting first-rate mystery stories. In the Woods is maybe more melodramatic/action-oriented, whereas this one is more psychological, almost claustrophobic in places.

This one continues the story of Cassie Maddox, who has left the Murder Squad and gone to work in Domestic Violence after the events in the first book. She's approached by a former colleague to go undercover one more time, to assume the identity of a young woman who's been killed.

What follows is a real cat-and-mouse setup. One false move will blow Cassie's cover, while at the same time, she's starting to identify with the people she's investigating, all of whom share a house with her "character." The twists at the end are entirely satisfying, and once more, we readers are left blown away by the fallout. I will happily read anything French puts out--she's proven that the first novel wasn't a fluke.

P.S. I'm not related to her, just a happy reader who shares her name. ( )
  Pat_F. | Jul 25, 2014 |
Although she overburdens the traditional police-procedural form with the weight of romance, psychological suspense, social history and mythic legend, she sets a vivid scene for her complex characters, who seem entirely capable of doing the unexpected.

Tana Frenchprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
O'Neill, HeatherNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Information from the Norwegian Common Knowledge. Edit to localize it to the English one.
For Anthony, For a million reasons
Some nights, if I'm sleeping on my own, I still dream about Whitethorn House.
Someone else may have dealt the hand, but I picked it up off the table, I played every card, and I had my reasons.
I found out early that you can throw yourself away, missing what you've lost.
There are some social circles where manners are a sign of weakness.
I wanted to tell her that being loved is a talent too, that it takes as much guts and as much work as loving; that some people, for whatever reason, never learn the knack.

Still traumatised by her brush with a psychopath, Detective Cassie Maddox transfers out of the Murder squad and starts a relationship with fellow detective Sam O'Neill. When he calls her to the scene of his new case, she is shocked to find that the murdered girl is her double. What's more, her ID show she is Lexie Madison - the identity Cassie used, years ago, as an undercover detective.

With no leads, no suspects and no clues to Lexie's real identity, Cassie's old boss spots the opportunity of a lifetime: send Cassie undercover in her place, to tempt the killer out of hiding to finish the job.

The haunting follow up to the Edgar Award-winning debut In the Woods

Tana French astonished critics and readers alike with her mesmerizing debut novel, In the Woods. Now both French and Detective Cassie Maddox return to unravel a case even more sinister and enigmatic than the first. Six months after the events of In the Woods, an urgent telephone call beckons Cassie to a grisly crime scene. The victim looks exactly like Cassie and carries ID identifying herself as Alexandra Madison, an alias Cassie once used. Suddenly, Cassie must discover not only who killed this girl, but, more importantly, who is this girl? A disturbing tale of shifting identities, The Likeness firmly establishes Tana French as an important voice in suspense fiction. And look for French's new mystery, Broken Harbor, for more of the Dublin Murder Squad.

The "expertly rendered, gripping new novel" (Janet Maslin, The New York Times)-from the bestselling author of In the Woods and The Likeness.
Tana French's In the Woods and The Likeness captivated readers by introducing them to her unique, character-driven style and her new mystery, Broken Harbor, is eagerly anticipated. Her singular skill at creating richly drawn, complex worlds makes her novels not mere whodunits but brilliant and satisfying novels about memory, identity, loss, and what defines us as humans. With Faithful Place, the highly praised third novel about the Dublin Murder squad, French takes readers into the mind of Frank Mackey, the hotheaded mastermind of The Likeness, as he wrestles with his own past and the family, the lover, and the neighborhood he thought he'd left behind for good.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:28:29 -0400)

Six months after the events of In the Woods, Detective Cassie Maddox is still trying to recover. She's transferred out of the murder squad and started a relationship with Detective Sam O'Neill, but she's too badly shaken to make a commitment to him or to her career. Then Sam calls her to the scene of his new case: a young woman found stabbed to death in a small town outside Dublin. The dead girl's ID says her name is Lexie Madison--the identity Cassie used years ago as an undercover detective--and she looks exactly like Cassie--From publisher description.… (more)

Three editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Hyperion and Voice

An edition of this book was published by Hyperion and Voice.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,301,416 books! | Top bar: Always visible