La somiglianza by French Tana
Other authors:Bagnoli K.
Info:A. Mondadori
Tags:2000, gialli

The Likeness by Tana French

Recently added byhumblewomble, private library, TimDan, SiriJR, jfkrank, LindaEdwards, INorris, MountainsideFreeLi
Legacy LibrariesLeslie Scalapino
    The Secret History by Donna Tartt (tangentialine, cransell, GodOfTheAnthill, danibrecher, Booksloth)
    tangentialine: Same sense of the mysterious, same sense of intense psychological speculation.
    Faithful Place by Tana French (ijustgetbored)
    ijustgetbored: This book picks up Frank Mackey's story from where it left off in The Likeness.
    Judas Child by Carol O'Connell (VictoriaPL)
    Bone by Bone by Carol O'Connell (amyblue)
    The Little Friend by Donna Tartt (rbtanger)
    rbtanger: The similarities between these two books are numerous, in spite of the fact that one takes place in Ireland in the 1980s and one in the 1970s American South. If you enjoyed one, I think it highly probable you will enjoy the other.
    A Darker Domain by Val McDermid (kraaivrouw)
    A Fatal Inversion by Barbara Vine (Bookmarque)
    Bookmarque: Similar in that it features murder and a group of young adults living together in an inherited estate in what they think is an idyll.
    Brat Farrar by Josephine Tey (Anonymous user)
    The Distant Echo by Val McDermid (amyblue)
    The Poison Tree by Erin Kelly (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo by Stieg Larsson (fyrefly98)
    fyrefly98: Both are solid, well-written, character-driven detective stories.

English (182)  German (2)  Dutch (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (186)

I have to give French her utterly ludicrous core concept: two people who are almost exact doppelgängers, not related. Yea, pull my other leg. And, I couldn't care less in the end. It did bother me in the beginning, and made me worry that the sophomore effort was not going to live up to the freshman effort (and what an effort that was). There is nothing to fear here.

Once again, she pulls all your emotions out of your stomach, tosses them around like soccer balls for 500 pages, and then lets them fly away like little birdies on the last page That's how spent you feel when you're done. I don't really know how she does her magic - action that flows from page to page and from one plot device to the next, seamlessly. And especially at the end, never telling you the whole story so that you absolutely must read between the lines, and absolutely must remember plot devices from 200 pages back. When you "get it", you literally gasp. That is stellar writing.

And there's more. In between all the plot devices are little descriptive passages that take your breath away. In this book, descriptions of tiny country lanes in the dark, of long and sweet hot summer afternoons, of the kind of house that isn't lived in anymore and can only be seen in a museum setting. I'm convinced she's had some experience writing poetry (and I'd like to read some of it).

After reading two of her books, I think it's safe to say that I'm considering her the best mystery series writer I've ever read. Yup. ( )
  khage | Aug 29, 2015 |
Solid, if leisurely, psychological suspense, with Cassie Maddox going undercover as a dead woman who looks just like her in order to infiltrate a close-knit group of friends, one of whom is probably a murderer. Good enough, but far short of the amazing IN THE WOODS. (No particular need to read them in order.) ( )
  beaujoe | Jul 21, 2015 |
A woman is found dead in an abandoned cottage, and she happens to look identical to Detective Cassie Maddox, formerly of the Dublin Murder Squad. Not only that, but the ID in her pocket bears the name of Alexandra Madison, which was Maddox's ID from her brief stint as an undercover agent. This is a strange coincidence, which Detective Frank Mackey sees as a golden opportunity: Maddox can impersonate the dead woman and figure out who killed her. It's spooky, and very high risk, and does Maddox really want to put herself in peril again after the events of In the Woods?

As far as police procedurals go, this may require slightly more suspension of disbelief than usual. It also requires perseverance to get through, because it tops out at nearly 700 pages. But the dénouement, when it comes, spills out horrifically fast and the reader is left staring in disbelief at the devastation wrought in the characters' lives.

Apart from the length, there were a few bits of narration that, while not quite "had I but known", were a bit too reflective, really emphasizing the fact that this story was being told long after its events had taken place. Those were jarring. But the descriptions of life at Whitethorn House did sound idyllic: home-cooked meals, companionship, singing around the piano, rapid-fire conversation and arcane in-jokes. These cosy scenes make the dénouement even more horrific, and the ending even more bittersweet.

Of the two books I've read so far in the series, I preferred In the Woods, which moved faster than The Likeness, but both are worth reading. ( )
1 vote rabbitprincess | Jul 5, 2015 |
I have it in my head that mysteries should be about 240 pages long (or whatever the audiobook equivalent to that is), so my first reaction when presented with a Tana French novel is to get a bit cranky about the length. But then it occurred to me this morning that the greatest strengths of her novels are the character development and the relationships she builds between the characters, and she probably couldn't do that and a solid mystery in half as many pages. And actually, I never feel like she's dragging out scenes, or unnecessarily going on and on, so I've decided I won't complain about this issue anymore (please remind me of this statement if I start doing it again.)

I know many people feel this novel's preposterous premise prevents them from completely embracing the story, and I get that (it is completely ridiculous!), but I was able to buy in and enjoy the journey. And I love detective Maddox! And I think the individuals in the house and the slightly creepy community they've built are fascinating too. I docked this one a bit though, because the actual mystery fell a little flat in the end. That being said, this is certainly the mystery series I'm most enthusiastic about right now, and I'm looking forward to the next installment. ( )
  DorsVenabili | Feb 19, 2015 |

Although I'm slightly annoyed that I ordered this cover:

And received this one instead:

But I couldn't care less right now, because I'M SO DAMN EXCITED TO READ IT.
  Aly_Locatelli | Jan 26, 2015 |
Although she overburdens the traditional police-procedural form with the weight of romance, psychological suspense, social history and mythic legend, she sets a vivid scene for her complex characters, who seem entirely capable of doing the unexpected.
Tolv år gamle Adam Ryan lekte i skogen sammen med de to beste vennene sine en vakker solkinnsdag.Han så dem aldri igjen.Tjue år senere er Adam, eller Rob som han kaller seg nå, etterforsker i Dublin-politiet. Kollegene kjenner ikke til bakgrunnen hans som offer for en forbrytelse. Partneren hans er Cassie Maddox. Rob og Cassie får saken da en jente blir funnet drept på et steinalter midt i en arkeologisk utgravning. Først da de kommer til åstedet skjønner Rob at dette er det samme stedet som der vennene hans forsvant den gangen for lenge siden.Og da de finner en hårspenne som han gjenkjenner som en venninnen hans hadde, melder spørsmålet seg: Er det en sammenheng mellom det som skjedde den gangen og mordet de skal etterforske nå? Rob vet at dersom han avslører sin fortid for andre enn Cassie kommer han til å bli tatt av saken; han tar en skjebnesvanger avgjørelse om å tie. Sammen med Cassie skal han oppklare mordet på Katy Devlin, og han håper at han dermed også vil løse gåten i sin egen fortid.

Tana Frenchprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
O'Neill, HeatherNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Anthony, For a million reasons
Some nights, if I'm sleeping on my own, I still dream about Whitethorn House.
Someone else may have dealt the hand, but I picked it up off the table, I played every card, and I had my reasons.
I found out early that you can throw yourself away, missing what you've lost.
There are some social circles where manners are a sign of weakness.
I wanted to tell her that being loved is a talent too, that it takes as much guts and as much work as loving; that some people, for whatever reason, never learn the knack.

Still traumatised by her brush with a psychopath, Detective Cassie Maddox transfers out of the Murder squad and starts a relationship with fellow detective Sam O'Neill. When he calls her to the scene of his new case, she is shocked to find that the murdered girl is her double. What's more, her ID show she is Lexie Madison - the identity Cassie used, years ago, as an undercover detective.

With no leads, no suspects and no clues to Lexie's real identity, Cassie's old boss spots the opportunity of a lifetime: send Cassie undercover in her place, to tempt the killer out of hiding to finish the job.

The haunting follow up to the Edgar Award-winning debut In the Woods

Tana French astonished critics and readers alike with her mesmerizing debut novel, In the Woods. Now both French and Detective Cassie Maddox return to unravel a case even more sinister and enigmatic than the first. Six months after the events of In the Woods, an urgent telephone call beckons Cassie to a grisly crime scene. The victim looks exactly like Cassie and carries ID identifying herself as Alexandra Madison, an alias Cassie once used. Suddenly, Cassie must discover not only who killed this girl, but, more importantly, who is this girl? A disturbing tale of shifting identities, The Likeness firmly establishes Tana French as an important voice in suspense fiction. And look for French's new mystery, Broken Harbor, for more of the Dublin Murder Squad.

The "expertly rendered, gripping new novel" (Janet Maslin, The New York Times)-from the bestselling author of In the Woods and The Likeness.
Tana French's In the Woods and The Likeness captivated readers by introducing them to her unique, character-driven style and her new mystery, Broken Harbor, is eagerly anticipated. Her singular skill at creating richly drawn, complex worlds makes her novels not mere whodunits but brilliant and satisfying novels about memory, identity, loss, and what defines us as humans. With Faithful Place, the highly praised third novel about the Dublin Murder squad, French takes readers into the mind of Frank Mackey, the hotheaded mastermind of The Likeness, as he wrestles with his own past and the family, the lover, and the neighborhood he thought he'd left behind for good.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:08:51 -0400)

Six months after the events of In the Woods, Detective Cassie Maddox is still trying to recover. She's transferred out of the murder squad and started a relationship with Detective Sam O'Neill, but she's too badly shaken to make a commitment to him or to her career. Then Sam calls her to the scene of his new case: a young woman found stabbed to death in a small town outside Dublin. The dead girl's ID says her name is Lexie Madison--the identity Cassie used years ago as an undercover detective--and she looks exactly like Cassie--From publisher description.… (more)

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,760,514 books! | Top bar: Always visible