La somiglianza by French Tana
Other authors:Bagnoli K.
Info:A. Mondadori
Tags:2000, gialli

The Likeness by Tana French

The Secret History by Donna Tartt (tangentialine, cransell, GodOfTheAnthill, danibrecher, Booksloth)
    tangentialine: Same sense of the mysterious, same sense of intense psychological speculation.
    Faithful Place by Tana French (elvisettey)
    elvisettey: This book picks up Frank Mackey's story from where it left off in The Likeness.
    Judas Child by Carol O'Connell (VictoriaPL)
    Bone by Bone by Carol O'Connell (amyblue)
    The Little Friend by Donna Tartt (rbtanger)
    rbtanger: The similarities between these two books are numerous, in spite of the fact that one takes place in Ireland in the 1980s and one in the 1970s American South. If you enjoyed one, I think it highly probable you will enjoy the other.
    A Darker Domain by Val McDermid (kraaivrouw)
    A Fatal Inversion by Barbara Vine (Bookmarque)
    Bookmarque: Similar in that it features murder and a group of young adults living together in an inherited estate in what they think is an idyll.
    Brat Farrar by Josephine Tey (Anonymous user)
    The Distant Echo by Val McDermid (amyblue)
    The Poison Tree by Erin Kelly (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo by Stieg Larsson (fyrefly98)
    fyrefly98: Both are solid, well-written, character-driven detective stories.

English (176)  German (2)  Dutch (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (180)
The Likeness by Tana French is the second book in the Dublin Murder Squad Series. It has been a while since I read the first book, In the Woods, which I really liked. But I was pretty foggy on what happened in the first book (except I remember I didn't like the ending too much). The two books are loosely connected with some of the same characters, but each one works as a stand alone story. So it is not necessary to read In the Woods before reading The Likeness.

The Likeness features Detective Cassie Maddox, who is sent on an unusual undercover mission. A woman's body is found, and the woman happens to look identically like Detective Maddox. So Cassie pretends to live this woman's life, infiltrating her closest group of friends in an attempt to find the murderer.

If you are looking for a true to life crime story, this one doesn't quite fit the bill. The idea of Cassie looking exactly like Lexie, the victim, is hard to believe, not to mention the idea of Cassie being able to act exactly like Lexie and convince all of Lexie's friends that she is actually Lexie. You have to be willing to just accept this plot and go with it. If you can do that, it is kind of a fun story, even it is far fetched.

I listened to the audiobook version of this book, and it took me a really long time to finish the whole 22 hour book. I'm not sure if I would have felt this way if I was reading the book, but listening to it, I felt like it was just a little too long-winded at times.

I found this to be an entertaining crime story with interesting characters. I would definitely like to continue reading the books in Tana French's Dublin Murder Squad series, as I have read good reviews of her other books as well. ( )
  em0451 | Nov 29, 2014 |
The Likeness is the second book in the Dublin Murder Squad series. Detective Cassie Maddox has been working in a Domestic Violence unit since wrapping up the very disturbing murder case from the first book, In the Woods. Her professional life is a little quiet and uneventful, which has allowed her personal life to flourish. That all changes when a young woman, Lexie Maddox, is found dead, and Cassie happens to be her doppelganger. And the victim was using a fake identity; in fact, one that Cassie used in her days as an undercover investigator. Did Lexie just happen on the identity, or was the murderer really after Cassie? Cassie is persuaded to join the investigation and go undercover, moving in with Lexie's four housemates, a close-knit group of university students who (obviously) do not know Lexie has died. And yes, Cassie pulls it off, and the investigation proceeds through a series of twists and page-turning action, until the killer is identified and justice is done.

Yes, the premise is somewhat far-fetched. I found it a little hard to believe Cassie could be so convincing with a group of intimates, especially since she had been away from undercover work for a few years. And the characters and setting bore some resemblance to Donna Tartt's The Secret History. But it was different enough to hold my interest and keep me guessing about the killer, their motive, and the ultimate outcome. ( )
  lauralkeet | Sep 28, 2014 |
Brilliant mystery and suspense! The storyline is inventive and captivating. The characters have depth and come to life on the page. French has a magnificent way with words, deftly painting images fraught with tension. I also appreciated the snarky humor and authentic Irish dialogue. A compulsively readable novel. ( )
  TheLoopyLibrarian | Sep 3, 2014 |
Once again, I loved French's writing. Her descriptions of Whitethorn House and how it made Cassie feel gave me the impression that I was walking the halls and grounds with her, or sitting up a tree with her in a country lane in the chill night air. It was great to see a Dublin Murder Squad story from Cassie's point of view, to watch how her mind works and to see her take on certain events from the previous book (which I won't give away, just in case). The mystery level in this one was great. I could never decide who my best bet for the culprit was, and the ending came fast and furious and kept me reading until 3 a.m.. Another great one from French. I definitely intend to keep following the Dublin Murder Squad and their adventures! ( )
  athenaharmony | Aug 24, 2014 |
Ain't nobody looking out for my heart in this series, but me. I thought… but I guess that was just wishful thinking.

JennyJen | Aug 14, 2014 |
Although she overburdens the traditional police-procedural form with the weight of romance, psychological suspense, social history and mythic legend, she sets a vivid scene for her complex characters, who seem entirely capable of doing the unexpected.

Tana Frenchprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
O'Neill, HeatherNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Anthony, For a million reasons
Some nights, if I'm sleeping on my own, I still dream about Whitethorn House.
Someone else may have dealt the hand, but I picked it up off the table, I played every card, and I had my reasons.
I found out early that you can throw yourself away, missing what you've lost.
There are some social circles where manners are a sign of weakness.
I wanted to tell her that being loved is a talent too, that it takes as much guts and as much work as loving; that some people, for whatever reason, never learn the knack.

Still traumatised by her brush with a psychopath, Detective Cassie Maddox transfers out of the Murder squad and starts a relationship with fellow detective Sam O'Neill. When he calls her to the scene of his new case, she is shocked to find that the murdered girl is her double. What's more, her ID show she is Lexie Madison - the identity Cassie used, years ago, as an undercover detective.

With no leads, no suspects and no clues to Lexie's real identity, Cassie's old boss spots the opportunity of a lifetime: send Cassie undercover in her place, to tempt the killer out of hiding to finish the job.

The haunting follow up to the Edgar Award-winning debut In the Woods

Tana French astonished critics and readers alike with her mesmerizing debut novel, In the Woods. Now both French and Detective Cassie Maddox return to unravel a case even more sinister and enigmatic than the first. Six months after the events of In the Woods, an urgent telephone call beckons Cassie to a grisly crime scene. The victim looks exactly like Cassie and carries ID identifying herself as Alexandra Madison, an alias Cassie once used. Suddenly, Cassie must discover not only who killed this girl, but, more importantly, who is this girl? A disturbing tale of shifting identities, The Likeness firmly establishes Tana French as an important voice in suspense fiction. And look for French's new mystery, Broken Harbor, for more of the Dublin Murder Squad.

The "expertly rendered, gripping new novel" (Janet Maslin, The New York Times)-from the bestselling author of In the Woods and The Likeness.
Tana French's In the Woods and The Likeness captivated readers by introducing them to her unique, character-driven style and her new mystery, Broken Harbor, is eagerly anticipated. Her singular skill at creating richly drawn, complex worlds makes her novels not mere whodunits but brilliant and satisfying novels about memory, identity, loss, and what defines us as humans. With Faithful Place, the highly praised third novel about the Dublin Murder squad, French takes readers into the mind of Frank Mackey, the hotheaded mastermind of The Likeness, as he wrestles with his own past and the family, the lover, and the neighborhood he thought he'd left behind for good.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:28:29 -0400)

Six months after the events of In the Woods, Detective Cassie Maddox is still trying to recover. She's transferred out of the murder squad and started a relationship with Detective Sam O'Neill, but she's too badly shaken to make a commitment to him or to her career. Then Sam calls her to the scene of his new case: a young woman found stabbed to death in a small town outside Dublin. The dead girl's ID says her name is Lexie Madison--the identity Cassie used years ago as an undercover detective--and she looks exactly like Cassie--From publisher description.… (more)

Hyperion and Voice

An edition of this book was published by Hyperion and Voice.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,390,950 books! | Top bar: Always visible