The Likeness (Dublin Murder Squad, #2) by…

The Likeness (Dublin Murder Squad, #2) (edition 2008)

by Tana French

Member:lasvegasbookie
Title:The Likeness (Dublin Murder Squad, #2)
Authors:Tana French
Info:New York : Viking, 2008.
Tags:Fiction, Mystery, Murder, Ireland

The Likeness by Tana French

Recently added byDreamchen, KRoan, pfflyernc, moniccag, private library, KathyI51, ashleystrain, lakeffect
    The Secret History by Donna Tartt (tangentialine, cransell, GodOfTheAnthill, danibrecher, Booksloth)
    tangentialine: Same sense of the mysterious, same sense of intense psychological speculation.
    Faithful Place by Tana French (elvisettey)
    elvisettey: This book picks up Frank Mackey's story from where it left off in The Likeness.
    Judas Child by Carol O'Connell (VictoriaPL)
    The Little Friend by Donna Tartt (rbtanger)
    rbtanger: The similarities between these two books are numerous, in spite of the fact that one takes place in Ireland in the 1980s and one in the 1970s American South. If you enjoyed one, I think it highly probable you will enjoy the other.
    Bone by Bone by Carol O'Connell (amyblue)
    A Fatal Inversion by Barbara Vine (Bookmarque)
    Bookmarque: Similar in that it features murder and a group of young adults living together in an inherited estate in what they think is an idyll.
    A Darker Domain by Val McDermid (kraaivrouw)
    Brat Farrar by Josephine Tey (Anonymous user)
    The Distant Echo by Val McDermid (amyblue)
    The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo by Stieg Larsson (fyrefly98)
    fyrefly98: Both are solid, well-written, character-driven detective stories.

English (170)  German (2)  Dutch (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (174)
pretty good, but not her best.
  KRoan | Jul 25, 2014 |
I started reading Tana French's books because I wanted to get a flavor for contemporary Irish life. I'm getting that, in spades, but I'm also getting first-rate mystery stories. In the Woods is maybe more melodramatic/action-oriented, whereas this one is more psychological, almost claustrophobic in places.

This one continues the story of Cassie Maddox, who has left the Murder Squad and gone to work in Domestic Violence after the events in the first book. She's approached by a former colleague to go undercover one more time, to assume the identity of a young woman who's been killed.

What follows is a real cat-and-mouse setup. One false move will blow Cassie's cover, while at the same time, she's starting to identify with the people she's investigating, all of whom share a house with her "character." The twists at the end are entirely satisfying, and once more, we readers are left blown away by the fallout. I will happily read anything French puts out--she's proven that the first novel wasn't a fluke.

P.S. I'm not related to her, just a happy reader who shares her name. ( )
  pfflyernc | Jul 25, 2014 |
I loved this book! This is another mystery/police book by Tana French. I loved In the Woods last year and this was as good or better. I won't go into the plot, but as in In the Woods, French uses a really strong narrator to tell the story which makes everything very vivid but also very one-sided. Sometimes as I was reading I wondered what the events would look like if I could take a step back from the narrator's point of view. I think it's a very effective technique, though. I also love the way she writes characters. They became so real to me that I actually thought about them even when I wasn't reading. Fun read - highly recommended! ( )
1 vote japaul22 | Jul 23, 2014 |
I was glad to see the return of Cassie Maddox and Sam, who is now her beau. I was put off by the link that drew Cassie to the murder case but not enough to deter me from finishing this novel. What resolution there was in the end was not really satisfying and I'll think hard before I invest myself in the next in this series. ( )
  nbsp | Jun 21, 2014 |
Cassie Maddox no longer works in homicide, so she is puzzled when she is called to a murder scene by her boyfriend, Sam O'Neill. She's even more puzzled when she sees her old boss, Frank Mackey, at the scene. Frank isn't homicide; he's undercover. Then Cassie gets a look at the murder victim...and sees herself. Not only does the victim look like her, she is using an identity that Frank and Cassie created when Cassie worked in undercover. Frank convinces Cassie to work with him one more time, going undercover as the victim to flush out her killer.

This was a slight disappointment after In the Woods. The book's main problem is pacing The build-up lasts too long, and I almost gave up on the book before it finally became a page-turning story. The plot climaxes too early, and the denouement lasts too long. The middle of the book is what makes it worth reading. I was just as enthralled with Lexie's world as Cassie was, and the psychological tension in that section is just right. I found I liked Cassie better as Lexie than as herself. ( )
1 vote cbl_tn | Jun 21, 2014 |
Although she overburdens the traditional police-procedural form with the weight of romance, psychological suspense, social history and mythic legend, she sets a vivid scene for her complex characters, who seem entirely capable of doing the unexpected.

Tana Frenchprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
O'Neill, HeatherNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Information from the Norwegian Common Knowledge. Edit to localize it to the English one.
For Anthony, For a million reasons
Some nights, if I'm sleeping on my own, I still dream about Whitethorn House.
Someone else may have dealt the hand, but I picked it up off the table, I played every card, and I had my reasons.
I found out early that you can throw yourself away, missing what you've lost.
There are some social circles where manners are a sign of weakness.
I wanted to tell her that being loved is a talent too, that it takes as much guts and as much work as loving; that some people, for whatever reason, never learn the knack.

Still traumatised by her brush with a psychopath, Detective Cassie Maddox transfers out of the Murder squad and starts a relationship with fellow detective Sam O'Neill. When he calls her to the scene of his new case, she is shocked to find that the murdered girl is her double. What's more, her ID show she is Lexie Madison - the identity Cassie used, years ago, as an undercover detective.

With no leads, no suspects and no clues to Lexie's real identity, Cassie's old boss spots the opportunity of a lifetime: send Cassie undercover in her place, to tempt the killer out of hiding to finish the job.

The haunting follow up to the Edgar Award-winning debut In the Woods

Tana French astonished critics and readers alike with her mesmerizing debut novel, In the Woods. Now both French and Detective Cassie Maddox return to unravel a case even more sinister and enigmatic than the first. Six months after the events of In the Woods, an urgent telephone call beckons Cassie to a grisly crime scene. The victim looks exactly like Cassie and carries ID identifying herself as Alexandra Madison, an alias Cassie once used. Suddenly, Cassie must discover not only who killed this girl, but, more importantly, who is this girl? A disturbing tale of shifting identities, The Likeness firmly establishes Tana French as an important voice in suspense fiction. And look for French's new mystery, Broken Harbor, for more of the Dublin Murder Squad.

The "expertly rendered, gripping new novel" (Janet Maslin, The New York Times)-from the bestselling author of In the Woods and The Likeness.
Tana French's In the Woods and The Likeness captivated readers by introducing them to her unique, character-driven style and her new mystery, Broken Harbor, is eagerly anticipated. Her singular skill at creating richly drawn, complex worlds makes her novels not mere whodunits but brilliant and satisfying novels about memory, identity, loss, and what defines us as humans. With Faithful Place, the highly praised third novel about the Dublin Murder squad, French takes readers into the mind of Frank Mackey, the hotheaded mastermind of The Likeness, as he wrestles with his own past and the family, the lover, and the neighborhood he thought he'd left behind for good.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:28:29 -0400)

Six months after the events of In the Woods, Detective Cassie Maddox is still trying to recover. She's transferred out of the murder squad and started a relationship with Detective Sam O'Neill, but she's too badly shaken to make a commitment to him or to her career. Then Sam calls her to the scene of his new case: a young woman found stabbed to death in a small town outside Dublin. The dead girl's ID says her name is Lexie Madison--the identity Cassie used years ago as an undercover detective--and she looks exactly like Cassie--From publisher description.… (more)

Three editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Hyperion and Voice

An edition of this book was published by Hyperion and Voice.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,604,750 books! | Top bar: Always visible