The Likeness (Dublin Murder Squad, #2) by…

The Likeness (Dublin Murder Squad, #2) (edition 2008)

by Tana French

Member:lasvegasbookie
Title:The Likeness (Dublin Murder Squad, #2)
Authors:Tana French
Info:New York : Viking, 2008.
Tags:Fiction, Mystery, Murder, Ireland

The Likeness by Tana French

Recently added byRiversideReader, Doondeck, Juliasb, aharey, eschaalman, fbarry28, nehbooks, joejuliet, private library, ecpenguin
Legacy LibrariesLeslie Scalapino
    The Secret History by Donna Tartt (tangentialine, cransell, GodOfTheAnthill, danibrecher, Booksloth)
    tangentialine: Same sense of the mysterious, same sense of intense psychological speculation.
    Faithful Place by Tana French (ijustgetbored)
    ijustgetbored: This book picks up Frank Mackey's story from where it left off in The Likeness.
    Judas Child by Carol O'Connell (VictoriaPL)
    Bone by Bone by Carol O'Connell (amyblue)
    The Little Friend by Donna Tartt (rbtanger)
    rbtanger: The similarities between these two books are numerous, in spite of the fact that one takes place in Ireland in the 1980s and one in the 1970s American South. If you enjoyed one, I think it highly probable you will enjoy the other.
    A Darker Domain by Val McDermid (kraaivrouw)
    A Fatal Inversion by Barbara Vine (Bookmarque)
    Bookmarque: Similar in that it features murder and a group of young adults living together in an inherited estate in what they think is an idyll.
    The Strange Death of Fiona Griffiths by Harry Bingham (wandering_star)
    wandering_star: Two gripping mystery stories about a police officer working undercover.
    The Poison Tree by Erin Kelly (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    Brat Farrar by Josephine Tey (Anonymous user)
    The Distant Echo by Val McDermid (amyblue)
    The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo by Stieg Larsson (fyrefly98)
    fyrefly98: Both are solid, well-written, character-driven detective stories.

English (213)  German (2)  Dutch (1)  Italian (1)  English (217)
Overly long. A good story and very well written, but seemed to drag at points. ( )
  Juliasb | Dec 1, 2016 |
I thought this was better than In the Woods, though it's apparent Tana French doesn't like to tie things up. Things were much less vague in this story, but I still have an unanswered question or two. ( )
  Heather_Brock | Nov 23, 2016 |
This one wasn't bad, but I didn't enjoy it as much as I enjoyed the first in the series. Maybe I just read them too close to one another, but the cliches and the repetitive language kind of got to me. If I really cared, I would go back through and see how many times the phrase "stone cold" appears. It was an interesting premise, but the characters seem like flat stereotypes. In the Woods had some of this, too, and I can't tell if it's worse in this novel or if it just bothers me more because the first novel sensitized me to it.

And the ending was a cliché within a cliché. I mean, I know the absolute pinnacle of achievement for a woman is to put aside her career aspirations and get married, but not only does she get engaged, he proposes on one stinking knee. And a diamond solitaire? Please. Cliché, cliché, cliché. Sure, these things happen, but to Cassie? I just don't buy it.

There's much that's implausible in this story of changing identities. Is it really so easy in other countries to take on a new identity and get passport, driver's license, and the rest of the paper trail that follows us around all of our lives? The first time, sure, it was all there for her. But all of those other times?

I know it's fiction and it's meant to be fun, but this novel just inspired too much eye-rolling for me to really enjoy reading it. Of course I finished it, though. Got to know how the mystery gets solved (and since it's not literary fiction you know that the mystery will, in fact, be solved---and possibly over-solved---by the time you reach the back cover. At least some things in life are certain). ( )
  ImperfectCJ | Nov 20, 2016 |
Good vacation book. ( )
  laurenbufferd | Nov 14, 2016 |
The novel starts off with a completely implausible premise (that Cassie can successfully, for a long period of time, impersonate her double), that I was mostly willing to forgive. The story, however, took it's time in providing much in the way of clues toward solving the case. And (like in In the Woods) there are some dubious choices about hiding evidence from the other detectives. The conclusion was more satisfying than In the Woods, but not especially clever or unexpected. Finally, Cassie's relationship choices are inexplicable, and don't really match her thoughts throughout the rest of the story. ( )
  teknognome | Nov 14, 2016 |
Although she overburdens the traditional police-procedural form with the weight of romance, psychological suspense, social history and mythic legend, she sets a vivid scene for her complex characters, who seem entirely capable of doing the unexpected.

Tolv år gamle Adam Ryan lekte i skogen sammen med de to beste vennene sine en vakker solkinnsdag.Han så dem aldri igjen.Tjue år senere er Adam, eller Rob som han kaller seg nå, etterforsker i Dublin-politiet. Kollegene kjenner ikke til bakgrunnen hans som offer for en forbrytelse. Partneren hans er Cassie Maddox. Rob og Cassie får saken da en jente blir funnet drept på et steinalter midt i en arkeologisk utgravning. Først da de kommer til åstedet skjønner Rob at dette er det samme stedet som der vennene hans forsvant den gangen for lenge siden.Og da de finner en hårspenne som han gjenkjenner som en venninnen hans hadde, melder spørsmålet seg: Er det en sammenheng mellom det som skjedde den gangen og mordet de skal etterforske nå? Rob vet at dersom han avslører sin fortid for andre enn Cassie kommer han til å bli tatt av saken; han tar en skjebnesvanger avgjørelse om å tie. Sammen med Cassie skal han oppklare mordet på Katy Devlin, og han håper at han dermed også vil løse gåten i sin egen fortid.

Tana Frenchprimary authorall editionscalculated
Koen, ViktorCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
O'Neill, HeatherNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wang, JenCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Anthony, For a million reasons
Some nights, if I'm sleeping on my own, I still dream about Whitethorn House.
Someone else may have dealt the hand, but I picked it up off the table, I played every card, and I had my reasons.
I found out early that you can throw yourself away, missing what you've lost.
There are some social circles where manners are a sign of weakness.
I wanted to tell her that being loved is a talent too, that it takes as much guts and as much work as loving; that some people, for whatever reason, never learn the knack.

Still traumatised by her brush with a psychopath, Detective Cassie Maddox transfers out of the Murder squad and starts a relationship with fellow detective Sam O'Neill. When he calls her to the scene of his new case, she is shocked to find that the murdered girl is her double. What's more, her ID show she is Lexie Madison - the identity Cassie used, years ago, as an undercover detective.

With no leads, no suspects and no clues to Lexie's real identity, Cassie's old boss spots the opportunity of a lifetime: send Cassie undercover in her place, to tempt the killer out of hiding to finish the job.

The haunting follow up to the Edgar Award-winning debut In the Woods

Tana French astonished critics and readers alike with her mesmerizing debut novel, In the Woods. Now both French and Detective Cassie Maddox return to unravel a case even more sinister and enigmatic than the first. Six months after the events of In the Woods, an urgent telephone call beckons Cassie to a grisly crime scene. The victim looks exactly like Cassie and carries ID identifying herself as Alexandra Madison, an alias Cassie once used. Suddenly, Cassie must discover not only who killed this girl, but, more importantly, who is this girl? A disturbing tale of shifting identities, The Likeness firmly establishes Tana French as an important voice in suspense fiction. And look for French's new mystery, Broken Harbor, for more of the Dublin Murder Squad.

The "expertly rendered, gripping new novel" (Janet Maslin, The New York Times)-from the bestselling author of In the Woods and The Likeness.
Tana French's In the Woods and The Likeness captivated readers by introducing them to her unique, character-driven style and her new mystery, Broken Harbor, is eagerly anticipated. Her singular skill at creating richly drawn, complex worlds makes her novels not mere whodunits but brilliant and satisfying novels about memory, identity, loss, and what defines us as humans. With Faithful Place, the highly praised third novel about the Dublin Murder squad, French takes readers into the mind of Frank Mackey, the hotheaded mastermind of The Likeness, as he wrestles with his own past and the family, the lover, and the neighborhood he thought he'd left behind for good.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:08:51 -0400)

Six months after the events of In the Woods, Detective Cassie Maddox is still trying to recover. She's transferred out of the murder squad and started a relationship with Detective Sam O'Neill, but she's too badly shaken to make a commitment to him or to her career. Then Sam calls her to the scene of his new case: a young woman found stabbed to death in a small town outside Dublin. The dead girl's ID says her name is Lexie Madison--the identity Cassie used years ago as an undercover detective--and she looks exactly like Cassie--From publisher description.… (more)

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 110,686,614 books! | Top bar: Always visible