Jeremy Thatcher, Dragon Hatcher by Bruce…

Jeremy Thatcher, Dragon Hatcher (1992)

by Bruce Coville

Series: Magic Shop Books (2)

English (16)  German (1)  All languages (17)
An uncontested classic to be sure, Jeremy Thatcher, Dragon Hatcher will always have a place on my shelf. It has some inconsistencies though that bother me as an adult reader.

First of all, alone out of the Magic Shop books' protagonists (they don't have to be read in order or together or anything, a great plus if you are/were like me - I read anything that struck me when I was little, if I was in the middle of a trilogy I would catch up to the plot as I went along) Jeremy Thatcher doesn't seem to have a problem that needs fixing. He's too small and a girl who thinks he's cute wants to chase him down and kiss him, which is a bit of a princely problem compared to the issues of bullying, self-worth, etc. that other Magic Shop kids have to face. Oh his art teacher is jealous of him? OK...

Then there's the issue of that kiss-crazy girl, Mary Lou Hutton is revealed to be a thoughtful person who reads the same books as Jeremy, is a staunch friend and an invaluable ally when it comes to caring for the dragon. Those two images, the good friend and the kiss-assassin are never reconciled. The librarian Hyacinth Priest has two widely differing personalities as well.

That aside, the story is a good adventure and Jeremy takes on the responsibilities of a dragon hatcher admirably. It would have been awesome to have a dragon's egg, but there's no way I could cover up the disapearance of 6 or 7 gallons of milk a week when I was 11 or 12, or obtain them even. That dragon would have busted out and eaten the neighbor's dogs and our cats. No doubt about it.

But this is a book about how a kid raises a dragon. There's no way it can fail. The genuine excitement and wonder in this book gives it four stars.

P.P.: Grief is an excellent name for a dog. ( )
  ManWithAnAgenda | Feb 18, 2019 |
Jeremy Thatcher, Dragon Hatcher by Bruce Coville. And many other titles in his Magic Shop series. These are easier reads, ideal for 2nd-4th grade. Both my boys loved these.
  TKMartinez | Oct 8, 2018 |
This is the book that essentially started my unending love for fantasy, and it's still magical that way. This is definitely a book for children: there's no real villains or evil or anything else that might be deemed disturbing. Rather, it focuses entirely around a boy and the dragon that has become his to care for, all wrapped in a beautiful story-arc about the fate of dragons and the bonds they share with those who help get them ready to go home. The magic is mostly subtle, but ever-present nonetheless, while the dragon and its abilities serve as a powerful early introduction to the wonder of fantasy reading. This is definitely one I'd still keep on hand for the children of today. ( )
  TiffanyAK | May 25, 2018 |
I love how the fantasy elements of this story, and the series, are introduced but never elaborated on. So many off-shoot stories could be developed from the concepts and characters introduced as they are ripe for storytelling.

I also liked that Miss Priest wasn't a villain, like the woman shopkeeper was in Jennifer Murdley's Toad, because that's totally what I was predicting. She seemed to be a sorcerer of sorts which I enjoyed!

I just really want more books in this series and elaboration on the magic side of this world Coville had created! ( )
  Pashii | Aug 28, 2017 |
This was one of my favorite books when I was little. I love dragons and fantasy. This was the first book I really fell in love with. ( )
  Samantha_D | Jul 16, 2017 |

Coville, Bruceprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Lippincott, Gary A.Illustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Jane.
Believing in dragons is easy.
Jane believes in people - an act
of love that takes considerably
more imagination.
Jeremy Thatcher crumpled his paper in disgust.

If Howard Morton and Freddie the Frog Killer were trying to hold you down so that Mary Lou Hutton could kiss you, you might run as fast as Jeremy Thatcher did the day he stumbled into Mr. Elives' Magic Shop.

And if you stumbled into that strange shop, you, too, might be asked to make a choice. What would you buy? The Chinese rings? The Skull of Truth? Or the dragon's egg?

And if you did buy the dragon's egg, what would you do when you found out you were supposed to hatch it?

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:25:17 -0400)

Small for his age but artistically talented, twelve-year-old Jeremy Thatcher unknowingly buys a dragon's egg.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,566,113 books! | Top bar: Always visible