Jeremy Thatcher, Dragon Hatcher: A Magic…

Jeremy Thatcher, Dragon Hatcher: A Magic Shop Book (original 1992; edition 2007)

by Bruce Coville, Gary A. Lippincott (Illustrator)

Member:lorrielibrary2
Title:Jeremy Thatcher, Dragon Hatcher: A Magic Shop Book
Authors:Bruce Coville
Other authors:Gary A. Lippincott (Illustrator)
Info:Magic Carpet Books (2007), Paperback, 168 pages
Tags:BOB 5/6, fantasy

Jeremy Thatcher, Dragon Hatcher by Bruce Coville (1992)

Recently added byLibrarianPIE, SCALE_UNC, fizzfuzz, iglified, Rushwood4thgrade, private library

English (13)  German (1)  All (14)
This book is a fantasy book because it is about a 12-year-old boy that goes into a magic shop to get away from Mary Lu who has a crush on him, inside the shop he buys in egg that hatches into a dragon. This book is entertaining and funny because of all the adventure that Comes from having a dragon and keeping it a secret. I would recommend this for 3-5th grade. ( )
  Karlig | Apr 11, 2016 |
Jeremy_Thatcher_Dragon Hatcher_hceremy Thatcher, Dragon Hatcher is a funny, engaging, and adventurous story. It was very exciting and I could not put it down!

Jeremy is an average 6th grade boy who is actually believable. I like that the main character is relatable to children when they read this book. He goes to school (though he doesn’t like it much), loves to draw, and doesn’t like girls. Every boy (and girl) will love this book. It will keep them interested from the beginning!

The writing is easy to understand (character thoughts are in italics), flows well, and their are plenty of opportunities to build vocabulary for children who can read.

It is a great book to read aloud to younger children. They will not want you to stop!

I also enjoyed the illustrations, which allow for children to use their imagination while giving them a place to start.

If you (or your kids) love dragons, and an exciting and adventurous story, then you will love this book. ( )
  AshleyMiller | Sep 10, 2014 |
Jeremy loves drawing dragons but is frustrated when his art teacher denies his talent and forces him to concentrate on reality and not fantasy. But fantasy is what helps him deal with his small stature, the school bullies, and the girl who wants to kiss him. But when he stumbles across an ancient magic shop and purchases a small multicolored kaleidoscope ball, he is unaware that his life is about to change. He has been selected to be a dragon hatcher who will raise a small dragon until it is ready to go across the magical barrier to the home of the dragons. Jeremy starts out as a bullied boy and grows along with his secret dragon as he learns about responsibility and friendship. The Magic Shop series was original published in the early 90s. They have been rereleased with new covers to attract a new audience. The stories have a message to each reader that's not overly obvious and focuses around magical objects that come from the mysterious magic shop. ( )
  range5 | Jan 23, 2013 |
An absolutely fantastic book that is whimsical and otherwise enjoyable from cover to cover. I picked this book up when I was in elementary school and I remembered it vividly for years following. While working at a book store (perhaps my favorite place I've worked to date), I saw it in a miniature hardback and snatched it, at 18 years old, read it cover to cover in a matter of hours that evening (it is rather short, and fits the age group), and even now it rests on my bookshelf. It was definitely a purchase I do not regret, and I lovingly recall it even now, at 24. If I ever have kids, it is one that will be read to them, without a doubt. ( )
  Aerivore | Sep 20, 2011 |
I loved this book, and so did both my first-grader and my fourth-grader! This is one of Bruce Coville's Magic Shop Books. The series also includes Jennifer Murdley's Toad, which both of my boys heard at school.

Jeremy Thatcher is a sixth grader, and his struggles are typical for his age. A girl in his class wants to kiss him. His art teacher gives him a hard time, even though art is his best subject. But when he wonders into a magic shop one day after school, he's faced with a task that is anything but typical, hatching and raising a dragon.

The plot of this book had enough depth to it to hold everyone's interest (including mine). But the best part of this book was watching the relationship develop between Jeremy and his dragon. It was the depth of this relationship that made the book's ending so poignant. This book is also very well written, which made it a pleasure to read aloud.

I'm not good at judging the appropriate age range, but I think that this book would be good for almost all elementary school kids. We highly recommend it! ( )
1 vote porch_reader | Jan 22, 2011 |

Coville, Bruceprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Lippincott, Gary A.Illustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Jane.
Believing in dragons is easy.
Jane believes in people - an act
of love that takes considerably
more imagination.
Jeremy Thatcher crumpled his paper in disgust.

If Howard Morton and Freddie the Frog Killer were trying to hold you down so that Mary Lou Hutton could kiss you, you might run as fast as Jeremy Thatcher did the day he stumbled into Mr. Elives' Magic Shop.

And if you stumbled into that strange shop, you, too, might be asked to make a choice. What would you buy? The Chinese rings? The Skull of Truth? Or the dragon's egg?

And if you did buy the dragon's egg, what would you do when you found out you were supposed to hatch it?

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:25:17 -0400)

Small for his age but artistically talented, twelve-year-old Jeremy Thatcher unknowingly buys a dragon's egg.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 114,442,108 books! | Top bar: Always visible