Mind Fuck by Manna Francis

Mind Fuck (2007)

by Manna Francis

English (8)  German (1)  All (9)
Ultimately, I enjoyed this story. I admit I skimmed a few sections because I was less interested in the intricacies of the investigation than I was in the twisted relationship that Toreth and Warrick had, but most of that stemmed form me already being five days late on returning the book to my library. The investigation was very complex but not all that exciting. The relationship was, and I hope that if I continue with this series I will be able to see more of that develop. The writing is very good and there's a gritty appeal to it all. This has been on my TBR for a very long time by now so I really glad I finally got to it. Nice addition to my repertoire of reads. ( )
  Kassilem | Apr 22, 2017 |
Omg I love this book so much but I can't write a good review of it. I loved the main character. He's a control freak and a workaholic who feels no guilt about manipulating people for his own purposes. Of course, this lends itself quite well to a particular sort of relationship dynamic. I really liked the meet-cute, if you can call it that. The whole book is great, though. And scary, in that psychological thriller sort of way. ( )
  heart77 | Dec 13, 2016 |
Val Toreth is a bright young star at the Investigation and Interrogation division, known for his ability to get information and results out of nearly anybody, whether through charm, sex, or torture. He's assigned the investigation of an up-and-coming company: two people have mysteriously died while hooking into the company's proprietary simulation devices. The investigation is twistier and far more interesting than I expected, and the clues are well placed. (The futuristic dystopia in which all this takes class is equally well put together: information about it comes out casually and naturally through conversations and characters' assumptions.) During this investigation, Val's involvement with one of the company's senior directors, the controlled Dr. Keir Warrick, both tests Val's casual approach to relationships and reveals dark secrets about what's really going on.

Fascinating, with a good mix of plot, characterization, and very well crafted sex scenes. I'd expected this to be like the other published m/m erotica I've read, which often feels generic and copy&pasted together. Toreth and Warrick are very distinct individuals; I look forward to reading more of their noirish adventures while trying to survive being under the thumb of the Administration. ( )
  wealhtheowwylfing | Feb 29, 2016 |
My oh my. what a ride. I would say that 60% of the book was just fillers and the other 40 was just great writing. I mean if you're looking for a book to unwind to this is not that book. This book will leave you tense and ready for anything. Bravo! ( )
  nubian_princesa | Aug 1, 2014 |
~~~

This was a deep, complicated heavy read for me. Not at all what I was expecting when I started to read. Primarily it was a mystery, who-done-it, wrapped around a world-building, emotional thrill ride where the true focus is on rather dysfunctional (emotionally) characters. There has already been much said about the main characters who are quite complex and are being rolled out and developed, I believe, in the next books. I find Toreth to be fascinating. What an arrogant bastard with the conscience of a child...great combination, but he's more than that too. I'm looking forward to reading more of his character as well as Warrick. In fact, Warrick may fascinate me more because it just feels like there is still a lot to learn about him, he was very reserved throughout this story. Good sexual tension and a hope for more to come.

Manna's writing was well paced, if not a little slow in the beginning. Her development and release of Toreth's twisted sense of humor was very well done. Also, she gave an interestingly sparse but clear vision of this dystopian world of New London. I often felt very in the moment. Although the psycho elements were difficult at times for me to keep up with I was very comfortable in the settings and world in general. I appreciate that when a subject matter is complex an author doesn't muck it up more with surroundings that unnecessarily complicate the experience.

I'm moving right on to the next Manna story.

~~~

Take a look at my Male/Male Romance Book Blog:

LisaT131 | Sep 21, 2013 |
I’d like to thank my husband, for his super-human patience and encouragement; and my editor, without whom the Administration would never have come into existence, for her endless dedication and firm hand with commas.
The interogation room was brightly lit and relentlessly white, and had a disinfectant smell that Toreth no longer even noticed.

From Amazon.com:
There are no bad guys or good guys. There are only better guys and worse guys. One of the worse guys is Val Toreth. In a world in which torture is a legitimate part of the investigative process, he works for the Investigation and Interrogation Division, where his colleagues can be more dangerous than the criminals he investigates. One of the better guys is Keir Warrick. His small corporation, SimTech, is developing a "sim" system that places users in a fully immersive virtual reality. A minnow in a murky and dangerous pond, he is only beginning to discover how many compromises may be required for success. Their home is the dark future dystopia of New London. A totalitarian bureaucracy controls the European Administration, sharing political power with the corporations. The government uses violence and the many divisions of the feared Department of Internal Security to maintain control and crush resistance. The corporations fight among themselves, using lethal force under the euphemism of "corporate sabotage," uniting only to resist attempts by the Administration to extend its influence over them. Toreth and Warrick are more natural enemies than allies. But mutual attraction and the fight for survival can create unlikely bonds.

Manna Francis is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,075,489 books! | Top bar: Always visible