No title (1902)

Title:
Authors:
Info:
Collections:

Heart of Darkness by Joseph Conrad (1902)

King Leopold's Ghost: A Story of Greed, Terror, and Heroism in Colonial Africa by Adam Hochschild (baobab, chrisharpe)
    The Poisonwood Bible by Barbara Kingsolver (baobab, WSB7)
    WSB7: Both about "colonialisms" abuses in the Congo, among other themes.
    The Quiet American by Graham Greene (browner56)
    browner56: Powerful, suspenseful fictional accounts of the intended and unintended consequences of colonial rule
    Things Fall Apart by Chinua Achebe (SanctiSpiritus)
    Journey to the End of the Night by Louis-Ferdinand Céline (gust)
    State of Wonder by Ann Patchett (DetailMuse)
    DetailMuse: Includes a quest for a Kurtz-like character.
    Max Havelaar: Or the Coffee Auctions of the Dutch Trading Company by Multatuli (JustJoey4)
    JustJoey4: Both books focus on the ugly sides of colonialism.
    Exterminate All the Brutes by Sven Lindqvist (Polaris-)
    The Roots of Heaven by Romain Gary (ursula)
    The Dream of the Celt by Mario Vargas Llosa (gust)
    Downward to the Earth by Robert Silverberg (aulsmith)
    aulsmith: Silverberg was inspired by Conrad's story to write Downward to Earth and makes some interesting comments on the themes that Conrad explores.
    The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde by Robert Louis Stevenson (Sylak)
    Sylak: Delving the depths of human savagery and corruption.
    The African Queen by C. S. Forester (Cecilturtle)
    The Sea Wolf by Jack London (wvlibrarydude)
    Headhunter by Timothy Findley (chrisharpe)
    chrisharpe: "Headhunter" is a clever and well written fantasy on the theme of Kurtz.
    Fly Away Peter by David Malouf (lucyknows)
    lucyknows: Heart of Darkness by Joseph Conrad may be paired with Fly Away Peter by David Malouf as both authors show human nature to be hollow to the core.
    The Royal Way by André Malraux (thatguyzero)
    The Beach by Alex Garland (TomWaitsTables)
    Dancing in the Glory of Monsters: The Collapse of the Congo and the Great War of Africa by Jason Stearns (Anonymous user)
    Congo: The Epic History of a People by David Van Reybrouck (gust, Jozefus)
    Jozefus: Bekroond werk over de geschiedenis van Congo, dat door The Independent een "masterpiece" genoemd werd.

1890s (11)

English (203)  Spanish (7)  German (3)  Italian (3)  Catalan (3)  Dutch (2)  Swedish (2)  Tagalog (1)  Danish (1)  French (1)  Finnish (1)  Galician (1)  All (228)
Someone recommended I read this when one of those dull "Greatest books evaaar" lists was doing the rounds and I said I hadn't read anything on it and had no intention of doing so. I'm glad they did. ( )
  deeronthecurve | Jan 19, 2017 |
Dark and beautiful. A bit slow at times, but hey, it was written in 1899..
  bartt95 | Jan 15, 2017 |
Account of the horrible conditions of natives in Belgian controlled colonial Africa ( )
  JackSweeney | Jan 9, 2017 |
  This review is written with a GPL 3.0 license and the rights contained therein shall supersede all TOS by any and all websites in regards to copying and sharing without proper authorization and permissions. Crossposted at Bookstooge.booklikes.blogspot.wordpress.leafmarks.tumblr.com by express permission of this reviewer.  Title: Heart of Darkness  Series: None  Author: Joseph Conrad  Rating: 4 of 5 Stars  Genre: Classic  Pages: 116     Synopsis: The narrator of the story, a sailor and steamboat captain, tells a tale about his adventure of rescuing a Company Man in the middle of Africa. Said company man is an ivory hunter and apparently a god with words.   My Thoughts: I went into this book not expecting to enjoy it and to hate the underlying philosophy. However, the depths of a fallen man were not glorified and the empty hopelessness of it all fits in perfectly with my thoughts on a world that rejects God. It reminded me of Lord of the Flies in that the characters thought that being British was proof against them ever falling into ways they deemed uncivilized.   I enjoyed the writing and thought it was well done and paced fairly well. However, this free kindle edition, which was taken from the project gutenberg site I believe, suffers from a lack of formatting. And that in turn does affect the story and your perception of what is going on.   I'm noticing that many of the free kindle classics suffer from this. I want to go over and download the actual projectgutenberg.com editions to see if it is sloppy volunteer work or something in the conversion process that just buggers things up. I suspect sloppy volunteer work but can't really blame them. Just digitizing is a huge step, much less properly formatting it,  on your own time no less.   And that is all I have to say on that. Just don't feel like trying to dissect or discuss anything else in the book. I've read it, it was a lot better than I thought it would be and now I can forget about it :-D " ( )
  BookstoogeLT | Dec 10, 2016 |
Ugh this was such a painful experience. so slow and hard to get into. I had to skip pages to be able to finish it in time for my course. It was a really heavy read, that I just couldn't get through. ( )
  miss_booklion | Nov 6, 2016 |

Youth | Heart of Darkness | The End of the Tether by Joseph Conrad

Is retold in

Is replied to in

Inspired

Has as a reference guide/companion

Has as a study

Has as a commentary on the text

Has as a student's study guide

The Nellie, a cruising yawl, swung to her anchor without a flutter of the sails, and was at rest. The flood had made, the wind was nearly calm, and being bound down the river, the only thing for it was to come to and wait for the turn of the tide.
"The horror! The horror!"
"And this also," said Marlow suddenly, "has been one of the dark places of the earth."
"What you say is rather profound, and probably erroneous," he said, with a laugh.
I've seen the devil of violence, and the devil of greed, and the devil of hot desire...these were strong, lusty, red-eyed devils, that swayed men - men, I tell you. But as I stood on this hillside, I foresaw that in the blinding sunshine of that land I would become acquainted with a flabby, pretending, weak-eyed devil of a rapacious and pitiless folly.
And outside, the silent wilderness surrounding this cleared speck on the earth struck me as something great and invincible, like evil or truth, waiting patiently for the passing away of this fantastic invasion.

This is story of Marlow and his quest to find Mr Kurtz within the dense jungles of Africa. His journey challenges his values and life and reveals new sides of himself that only darkness could expose.
King Leopold's fans
appreciate this tribute;
Mister Kurtz, he dead.
(thorold)

Marlow comes face to face with the corruption and despair that lies at the heart of human existence when he undertakes a journey on behalf of a Belgian trading company up the Congo River in search of the tormented white ivory trader, Kurtz.

5 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141441674, 0143106589, 014356644X, 0241956803, 0141199784

Tantor Media

2 editions of this book were published by Tantor Media.

Editions: 1400100615, 1400108462

Urban Romantics

2 editions of this book were published by Urban Romantics.

Editions: 1909175978, 1909175986

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 111,820,463 books! | Top bar: Always visible