Journey to America by Sonia Levitin

Wow, this book is amazing. One reason I loved this book was because of the plot/ending. This story told about a very real situation, but it was toned town significantly for younger readers to understand. World War 2 was a devastating time for a lot of people, and that was shown very well within this book. Times where this was shown was whenever it was mentioned that masses of people were trying to get to America, or when Rosemarie was sent to England with her sister. I thought the way the author handled this topic, with giving it a happy ending, was excellent. I also thought that the author showing that the father was having difficulties in America was great too because it showed the true problems that immigrants faced when they moved to America: finding work, saving up money for family, finding a place to live, worrying about loved ones.
Another reason I loved this book was because of the difficulties faced by Lisa. Lisa handled leaving her friends and extended family very well, and she grew up very quickly in the short time that her family relocated to Switzerland. When her mother fainted, Lisa was the one to take action, not her older sister Ruth. Lisa had to contemplate what being a good person was, and she faltered in her belief of her Judaism at one point. I think the problems she faced and conquered show a lot about Lisa, and I really enjoyed reading about it.
The main idea of this story is that good experiences can come out of the bad ones. ( )
  lmalak1 | Jun 21, 2014 |
Reason for Reading: read aloud to the 10yo as part of our history curriculum.

This is a gentle, quiet story that is suitable for younger children (as a read loud) since it deals with the very early days of Hitler's Germany, making one aware of the need for escape in those early days and how fortunate were those who did manage to leave Germany before the atrocities began. The story is told from Lisa's point of view, the second oldest girl of three, perhaps 11 years old. Their father has decided that they will leave for America, so he goes first in order to get a job, a place to live and earn enough money for the tickets for boat passage for the others. Lisa, Ruth (the older sister), little Annie and mother must now fend for themselves until the time comes.

The reader learns what it was like in Germany for the Jews in those early days as their rights were slowly being taken from them. Then father tells them they must go to Switzerland for safety immediately and here the majority of the book takes place as the three girls and the mother are separated from each other as they are looked after by different refugee helper families. They don't loose contact though and life goes on through this tough and emotional time for them until finally just after hearing devastating news from Berlin, Father sends the boat tickets for them to join him.

An interesting story, full more of personal drama set against the background of a turbulent time rather than outside drama of the era since we are only at the very beginnings of Hitler's Germany here. A tale that tells the pressure of leaving one's home and becoming refugee status in another country, accepting help but really unable to do much for oneself, the waiting for the future to come and the worry for the loved ones left behind. A nice story, ds and I both enjoyed it well.

The art on the otherhand leaves something to be desired. I'll admit I've never been fond of Charles Robinson. His pictures are too hazy and blended together for my tastes; besides the main image, the other details are not meant to be focused on and it's just not my thing. This book is actually the first in a trilogy, which I did not know previously. I would be interested in following up with the other two books at some time. ( )
  ElizaJane | Mar 26, 2011 |
A historical novel about leaving Germany as World War II begins
  Folkshul | Jan 15, 2011 |
This is a story about an Jewish family that escapes from Germany and makes their way to America. The father goes on to America to work and save enough money to bring his family to America. The family has to wait in Switzerland for the money and papers to be in order for the trip to America. At the end of the story the family is united together in America.

I really like reading this book and I think children will enjoy reading this story once they start it. It's a great to describe how life was during the Holocaust.

In the classroom I would use this book while studying the Holocaust and World Was II. I would have the students write a story about the different pressures of growing up in Nazi Germany during this time in history. ( )
  ShalynAdams | Jul 18, 2010 |
This book is about a Jewish family that escapes from Germany to Switzerland and finally America before World War II. The family had struggles in their move because they were almost out of money and the parents sacrificed themselves to make sure that the children were feed. The daughters had to be placed with different families. The father finally gets the necessary forms to get his family to America and the family is reunited.

This is a good book because sometimes we don't realize the struggles that others had to go through to keep their freedom.

A teacher can use this book to show difficult it was for some families. It can also be shown that difficulties can make us stronger. ( )
  asousley | Mar 9, 2010 |

Sonia Levitinprimary authorall editionscalculated
Levitin, Soniamain authorall editionsconfirmed
To my mother and father and to my sisters, Eva and Vera
c. 1 In honor of LJCRS 7th grade 5753
c. 2 The Zimmermans
That winter had been the coldest and longest I had ever known.

A Jewish family fleeing Nazi Germany in 1938 endures innumerable separations before they are once again united.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,644,021 books! | Top bar: Always visible