Paranoia by Joseph Finder

Paranoia (2004)

by Joseph Finder

Market Forces by Richard K. Morgan (gward101)
    De macht van meneer Miller by Charles den Tex (Thorum)
    Thorum: Two good thrillers about someone who's higher than he'd wanna be, and finds out too much. The solution isn't the same, however...

English (33)  French (2)  All languages (35)
For me, this book seemed somewhat average. It wasn’t bad, but it wasn’t great. I got enjoyment from it, and it was easy to read, but it didn’t hold anything special for me. I find that some thrillers have a pattern that doesn’t really appeal to me – the pattern of a main character who ends up in trouble as a result of bad decisions, then ends up in worse trouble as a result of more bad decisions, and so forth. This definitely isn’t the case with all thrillers, but it does seem to be a commonly-used device. Characters (and real-life people!) who habitually make bad decisions without thinking through the consequences get on my nerves.

Paranoia is a thriller involving corporate espionage. The main character, from whose perspective the entire book is told, starts off making a bad decision without fully thinking through the potential consequences. As a result, he gets caught up in a spiral of events that lead to more bad decisions. Despite this, he is still a somewhat likeable character and he seems to have learned some lessons by the end of the book. But there were a lot of times when he just really annoyed me.

Although I wasn’t a huge fan of the main character, the story itself was interesting and kept me reading to find out what would happen next. The author also provided a lot of details about the corporations involved that reminded me of the corporate offices in which I work and thus added a feel of genuineness to the story. I’m not referring to the whole back-stabbing, cutthroat, darker side to the corporate environments in the story, but rather just the simple things like the layout of the offices, the amenities, the policies, and so forth. I could easily picture what the author was describing.

The plot seemed pretty straight-forward, moving in the expected direction from the beginning to (almost) the end. So I was somewhat pleasantly surprised by an unexpected twist near the end. I say “somewhat” because I had mixed feelings about how things turned out versus how I was expecting them to turn out. In the end, I sympathized more with the main character than I had throughout the majority of the book because I felt as indignant about how things turned out as he did.

The ending was also very abrupt. We’re left with a pretty good idea of what’s going to happen, and the main plot is resolved, but we aren’t 100% sure what the main character’s final decision is or how things turn out for him after he makes the expected decision. If I wanted to imagine my own ending, then I might as well have just imagined my own book too. ( )
  YouKneeK | Aug 10, 2014 |
In many ways this novel could be a documentary on life in the United States today for which my only comment is "sad but true".

A portion of a Wall Street Journal review at the front of the book shares, "Paranoia is a built-for-speed thrill ride. What raises it above...is its author's verbal and satirical flair."

Adam Cassidy reminds us that at almost every moment of the day we have choices – both in our professional and personal lives. Perhaps this book should be on required reading lists for high school students or at the very least for college students pursuing degrees in business administration. It might help some with their career decisions and at the very least provide some interesting discussions whether one is participating via debate team, book club, business class, etc.
  Corduroy7 | Aug 6, 2014 |
This book was very good. Something we have all wanted to do but were afraid to do for these exact reasons (well not exact) but you will see..A definate must read for those who like to be on the edge.
  Bettyb30 | Jun 24, 2013 |
If there is such a thing as chic lit then maybe there should also be a genre called Bloke Books into which I could place this one. I was enjoying the somewhat predictable but never-the-less action-packed plot about espionage in the apparently cut-throat world of Silicon Valley. However in the end (well page 132 to be precise) I couldn't get past the stereotyped, clunky characterisations. I don't think there's a woman alive who would do anything other than groan at this ridiculous sentence, used to introduce the potential love interrest for our luckless protagonist "Sometimes she wore heavy-framed black glasses, the kind that beautiful women wear to signal that they're smart and serious and yet so beautiful that they can wear ugly glasses". Pu-leeze. When, three pages later, he adds to his summation of her that that "this babe...had bodacious ta-tas" I gave up.

Maybe I am being unfair and there are as many blokes who find this stuff childish as there are women underwhelmed by the modern deluge of chic lit in which all women live to shop and all men are either well-meaning but useless or outright bastards. Whatever the case, I couldn't bring myself to read any more of this adolescent writing. ( )
  bsquaredinoz | Mar 31, 2013 |
Mark Marin says "All books are self-help books" - but this book only helped me to become more paranoid. Or maybe that's what they want me to think. ( )
  therestlessmouse | Dec 18, 2012 |

Joseph Finderprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Kuipers, HugoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Terho, IlkkaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0312992289, Mass Market Paperback)

It was only a prank: diverting cash from Wyatt Telecom's executive slush fund to throw a retirement bash for a member of the loading dock crew. But when corporate security catches up with Adam Cassidy, a low ambition junior staffer at the high-tech behemoth, they call it something else: embezzlement, to the tune of nearly $80 grand.

Ruthless CEO Nick Wyatt is impressed by Adam's scheming, and offers him one way out-take on the role of a rising corporate hotshot and infiltrate Wyatt's rival, Trion Systems. His mission is to get close to Trion's legendary founder Jock Goddard, and his ultra-secret "Project Aurora," and report back to Wyatt.

With Wyatt pulling the strings and a dramatically improved identity, Adam is set up as Trion's new boy genius. Suddenly, he's got a sweet new Porsche, a closet full of $1,500 suits, and even a lovely lady who thinks he's a dream. But it's all just a mirage, because Adam is about to learn that nothing is what it seems and that it isn't paranoia...everyone is out to get him...

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:06:28 -0400)

Adam Cassidy is twenty-six and a low-level employee at a high-tech corporation who hates his job. When he manipulates the system to do something nice for a friend, he finds himself charged with a crime. Corporate Security gives him a choice: prison--or become a spy in the headquarters of their chief competitor, Trion Systems. When he tries to break off from his controllers, he finds he's in way over his head, trapped in a world in which nothing is as it seems and no one can really be trusted. And then the real nightmare begins.… (more)

Four editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,122,271 books! | Top bar: Always visible