Paranoia by Joseph Finder

Paranoia (2004)

by Joseph Finder

Market Forces by Richard K. Morgan (gward101)
    De macht van meneer Miller by Charles den Tex (Thorum)
    Thorum: Two good thrillers about someone who's higher than he'd wanna be, and finds out too much. The solution isn't the same, however...

English (31)  French (2)  All languages (33)
This book was very good. Something we have all wanted to do but were afraid to do for these exact reasons (well not exact) but you will see..A definate must read for those who like to be on the edge.
  Bettyb30 | Jun 24, 2013 |
If there is such a thing as chic lit then maybe there should also be a genre called Bloke Books into which I could place this one. I was enjoying the somewhat predictable but never-the-less action-packed plot about espionage in the apparently cut-throat world of Silicon Valley. However in the end (well page 132 to be precise) I couldn't get past the stereotyped, clunky characterisations. I don't think there's a woman alive who would do anything other than groan at this ridiculous sentence, used to introduce the potential love interrest for our luckless protagonist "Sometimes she wore heavy-framed black glasses, the kind that beautiful women wear to signal that they're smart and serious and yet so beautiful that they can wear ugly glasses". Pu-leeze. When, three pages later, he adds to his summation of her that that "this babe...had bodacious ta-tas" I gave up.

Maybe I am being unfair and there are as many blokes who find this stuff childish as there are women underwhelmed by the modern deluge of chic lit in which all women live to shop and all men are either well-meaning but useless or outright bastards. Whatever the case, I couldn't bring myself to read any more of this adolescent writing. ( )
  bsquaredinoz | Mar 31, 2013 |
Mark Marin says "All books are self-help books" - but this book only helped me to become more paranoid. Or maybe that's what they want me to think. ( )
  therestlessmouse | Dec 18, 2012 |
I feel mixed on this one, the sixth book I've read from the Suspense portion of The Ultimate Reading List. It read very quickly, easy reading with short chapters and while the style is far from literary, it compares well against the likes of Dan Brown, James Patterson or Harlan Coben. I know some reviews complained of the style, citing in particular the use of the juvenile and jerky phrase "bodacious ta-tas" to describe the love interest. All I can say is that the voice sure fits the first person narrator, Adam Cassidy. He is juvenile and a jerk. The kind of guy from whom I'd back away slowly if he tried hitting on me, and I'd hate working with me, over me or under me. The kind of guy who used to take pride in how much he could slack off work, he fraudulently uses company funds to throw a retirement party for a coworker without counting the cost, and then is shocked, shocked when the bill comes to over 78,000 dollars and he is told that adds up to embezzlement and possibly decades in prison. Except he makes a deal with the company head, Nick Wyatt. They'll drop the charges if Adam infiltrates Wyatt's main competitor in the high tech business, Trion Systems.

A couple of things kept me reading. First, sleaze Adam might be, he's not completely unsympathetic. He's taking care of his dying abusive father, a man who'll never be proud of him no matter what he does. And he does develop a twinge of conscience, some guilt for what he's doing to people who have given him his first real chance. At one point, when his slacker friend Seth boasts of how he avoids doing anything productive at work, Adam asks him just who Seth is cheating by doing that, and I thought he might be learning something. The other reason this kept my interest through over 400 pages was the look at corporate espionage. Finder worked as a Sovietologist in academia and is a member of The Association of Former Intelligence Officers. Each of the nine parts of the book has a piece of tradecraft as its title and is headed by a definition from The Dictionary of Espionage: Fix, Backstopping, Plumbing, Compromise, Blown, Dead Drop, Control, Black Bag Job, Active Measures. The action of each part is an illustration of each word. Finder also evidently did his research on high tech industries, although at times I wished he didn't feel the need to show off all the jargon. So that I mostly found this an interesting ride to the end earns this a three.

The book might have earned a four from me were it not for the ending. Other reviews said they hated that ending, but I think for reasons different than mine. I didn't mind the open ending, didn't even think it abrupt, but I hated the entire destination, sensibility behind the whole twist. And it's not as if that twist didn't play fair. In fact it made sense of what seemed gaping plot holes from the beginning. A lot falls into place afterwards. But I still hated it, in a I-doubt-I'll-ever-read-this-author-again way. It's too cynical and too slick, and in its way far too predictable. I hate how it confirms the worldview of the worst characters in the book. For its, yes, paranoid, view of the business world and ambition. ( )
  LisaMaria_C | Sep 28, 2011 |
True thriller, kept me reading throughout the night. A lot of tech jargon, but it doesn't negatively affect the reading, it enhances the authenticity of the situation. Plus the main character is pretty much in the same position as the readers, so it's kind of amusing. The twists and turns in this book give it those extra brownie points. Fantastic piece of writing, highly recommended! ( )
  samuraibunny | Aug 18, 2011 |

Joseph Finderprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Kuipers, HugoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Terho, IlkkaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0312992289, Mass Market Paperback)

It was only a prank: diverting cash from Wyatt Telecom's executive slush fund to throw a retirement bash for a member of the loading dock crew. But when corporate security catches up with Adam Cassidy, a low ambition junior staffer at the high-tech behemoth, they call it something else: embezzlement, to the tune of nearly $80 grand.

Ruthless CEO Nick Wyatt is impressed by Adam's scheming, and offers him one way out-take on the role of a rising corporate hotshot and infiltrate Wyatt's rival, Trion Systems. His mission is to get close to Trion's legendary founder Jock Goddard, and his ultra-secret "Project Aurora," and report back to Wyatt.

With Wyatt pulling the strings and a dramatically improved identity, Adam is set up as Trion's new boy genius. Suddenly, he's got a sweet new Porsche, a closet full of $1,500 suits, and even a lovely lady who thinks he's a dream. But it's all just a mirage, because Adam is about to learn that nothing is what it seems and that it isn't paranoia...everyone is out to get him...

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:06:28 -0400)

Adam Cassidy is twenty-six and a low-level employee at a high-tech corporation who hates his job. When he manipulates the system to do something nice for a friend, he finds himself charged with a crime. Corporate Security gives him a choice: prison--or become a spy in the headquarters of their chief competitor, Trion Systems. When he tries to break off from his controllers, he finds he's in way over his head, trapped in a world in which nothing is as it seems and no one can really be trusted. And then the real nightmare begins.… (more)

Four editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,222,079 books! | Top bar: Always visible