High Tide in Tucson: Essays from Now or…

High Tide in Tucson: Essays from Now or Never (original 1995; edition 1996)

by Barbara Kingsolver

Member:jenkinra
Title:High Tide in Tucson: Essays from Now or Never
Authors:Barbara Kingsolver
Info:Harper Perennial (1996), Paperback, 288 pages

High Tide in Tucson by Barbara Kingsolver (1995)

I read the beginning of this book far too long ago to pick out any specific details about which to discuss now! However, I have jumped onto the bandwagon of delving into Kingsolver essays with great joy. I'm not a great fan of her fiction as I could never really get into her "Turtle" stories, but I love the way she expresses herself through her essays. A proponent of travel, environmental responsibility, liberal political leanings, and living gently, she's a woman of my own heart but can say it all better than I can. ( )
  SqueakyChu | Apr 28, 2016 |
Barbara Kingsolver is odd, funny, engaging. This collection of stories and articles stitched together is my introduction to her eccentricity. ( )
  jessicaofthebees | Aug 15, 2015 |
  valerietheblonde | Aug 5, 2015 |
Tthere were some interesting stories and perspectives, but in general, not much draw for me. ( )
  addunn3 | Jan 31, 2015 |
Stephen Jay Gould, the renowned writer in the field of natural history had the irritating habit of including two or three short essays, usually around 30 pages, on baseball in his books about natural history. Whether it was the editor or the author (more likely), many of his books contain such a small, unrelated section, even though in the case of Gould the title of many of his books specifically refers to "natural history".

Barbara Kingsolver takes up this trend, and pushes it a little further. High tide in Tucson. Essays from now or never, her first published collection of essays, is a rather hybrid work. The book is a medley of essays, some about Natural History, and some about very down-to-earth, everyday occurrences in the life of the author and her family.

The author, and editor, make attempts to reconcile this choice by suggesting that the essay collection is on "issues around family, community and ecology." However, this merely seems an example of inventive packaging, an oblique excuse to say that the collection lacks focus.

To be sure, Barbara Kingsolver earned an MA in Ecology and Evolutionary Biology from the University of Arizona and has worked as a science writer for a number of years. Still, High tide in Tucson. Essays from now or never is characterized by a paucity in content about Natural History, and the contributions which are about nature or natural science are superficial, and not very specific. However, the natural history essays in this collection are more characterized by literary style, often starting with references to classical authors such as Aristotle, Pliny the Elder or Thoreau. They are interspersed with essays about the most banal topics occurring in the author's family life and local community.

What makes the collection as a whole most readable is its down-to-earth style and being free from pretentiousness. Perhaps High tide in Tucson. Essays from now or never is meant to illustrate that is every scientist, there is also a house wife or house husband.

High tide in Tucson. Essays from now or never is perhaps interesting for readers who enjoy reading weekly columns, and the lighter style essays. Readers expecting to discover the naturalist in Barbara Kingsolver better move on. ( )
  edwinbcn | Nov 19, 2013 |
for Steven, and for every singing miracle
When I told my mother I was making a book of my essays, many of which had been published previously in magazines, she responded with pure maternal advocacy: "Oh, good! I think there are some out there that I've missed." (Preface)
A hermit crab lives in my house. (High Tide in Tucson)
We can still do everything we could do when we were twenty...except now it hurts

"There is no one quite like Barbara Kingsolver in contemporary literature," raves the Washington Post Book World, and it is right. She has been nominated three times for the ABBY award, and her critically acclaimed writings consistently enjoy spectacular commercial success as they entertain and touch her legions of loyal fans.

In High Tide in Tucson, she returnsto her familiar themes of family, community, the common good and the natural world. The title essay considers Buster, a hermit crab that accidentally stows away on Kingsolver's return trip from the Bahamas to her desert home, and turns out to have manic-depressive tendencies. Buster is running around for all he's worth -- one can only presume it's high tide in Tucson. Kingsolver brings a moral vision and refreshing sense of humor to subjects ranging from modern motherhood to the history of private property to the suspended citizenship of human beings in the Animal Kingdom.

Beautifully packaged, with original illustrations by well-known illustrator Paul Mirocha, these wise lessons on the urgent business of being alive make it a perfect gift for Kingsolver's many fans.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:13:05 -0400)

Barbara Kingsolver has entertained and touched the lives of legions of readers with her critically acclaimed and bestselling novels The Bean Trees, Animal Dreams, and Pigs in Heaven. In these twenty-five newly conceived essays, she returns once again to her favored literary terrain to explore the themes of family, community, and the natural world. With the eyes of a scientist and the vision of a poet, Barbara Kingsolver writes about notions as diverse as modern motherhood, the history of private property, and the suspended citizenship of humans in the animal kingdom. Kingsolver's canny pursuit of meaning from an inscrutable world compels us to find instructions for life in surprising places: a museum of atomic bomb relics, a West African voodoo love charm, an iconographic family of paper dolls, the ethics of a wild pig who persistently invades a garden, a battle of wills with a two-year-old, or a troop of oysters who observe high tide in the middle of Illinois.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 106,726,886 books! | Top bar: Always visible