The Idea of India by Sunil Khilnani

The Idea of India

by Sunil Khilnani

I liked this book a lot when I first read it in 1997. at that time I found it fascinating. To me, it was a seminal book, and my 3 star rating may be a but unfair, since I have given this book a three star on my second reading, and after I have read many more books on my own home country.
For a first time reader of such books, I can actually recommend no better. The writing is very clear, very lucid. I like the way in which he has divided the subjects. It makes this very clear to read chunks of the book independently.
This is a great glimpse into the making the making of modern India, and is a good book for Indians and foreigners alike. ( )
  RajivC | Jul 27, 2012 |
Khilnani presents interesting ideas about where it came from, how it might have morphed, and how it may continue to survive. Here is an excerpt: http://www.purao.net/wiki/IdeaIndia_excerpt ( )
  sandeep-purao | Jan 27, 2009 |
The book is not a dry recitation of information but is a colorful expression of ideas that opens the reader's thoughts to a place that most have never seen and could barely imagine. The Idea of India is not a comprehensive discussion of the country of India but an adequate overview like one may get from spending the day walking through a forest rather than a year studying its trees. In the same way, the beauty and intricacies of India still become apparent through this brief introduction to the country and culture.
added by sgump | editSoutheast Review of Asian Studies, Tromila Wheat (Dec 1, 2005)

The key book on India in the postnuclear era, with a new Introduction by the author.Our appreciation of the importance of India can only increase in light of the recent revelations of its nuclear capabilities. Sunil Khilnani's exciting, timely study addresses the paradoxes and ironies of this, the world's largest democracy. Throughout his penetrating, provocative work, he illuminates this fundamental issue: Can the original idea of India survive its own successes?

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:30:53 -0400)

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,498,044 books! | Top bar: Always visible