Rain Storm by Barry Eisler

Rain Storm (2004)

by Barry Eisler

Recently added byprivate library, darcy36, robjallen, TomCrowley3, Hardboiled, Cashstacker, Mhg014, phreadingcentre

English (11)  Dutch (1)  All languages (12)
really good read. John Rain, assassin is a likeable character. ( )
  magentaflake | Jan 7, 2013 |
Not quite as strong as the first two. Here Rain follows through on his plans to decamp to Brazil for security reasons, in a couple of stages. However, the CIA pulls him back into, wanting him to dispose of an arms dealer. It isn't as simple as that though, pointing out that the CIA right hand doesn't know what the left hand is doing. As in attempting to hire an old sniper acquaintance from Afghanistan named Dox to get rid of Rain. This pleases neither of these gentlemen. Further complications ensue as he discovers his target's current girlfriend is actually a Mossad spy.

http://freesf.strandedinoz.com/wordpress/2012/01/rain-storm-barry-eisler/ ( )
  BlueTysonSS | Jan 23, 2012 |
Rain Storm is the third John Rain novel I've read. Oddly, it falls short of the first two. Too much tedious introspection by Rain and an unnecessarily gruesome, intricately detailed description of an execution. I sensed that Eisler was getting paid by the word and thus padded the writing. His first Rain book was tightly crafted and suspenseful, though Eisler leavened the plot with interesting revelations about Japanese culture. The diversions and stalls in Rain Storm detracted from the story. ( )
  gvmcgowan | Nov 13, 2011 |
This book continues and expands our insight into John Rain. Eisler's prose is great, as usual. And yep, I'm still looking up a couple of words I don't know in each of his books, lol. That man is literate!

Okay, I rated this book down slightly compared to others in the series so far. Some aspects of the plot, digging around in the CIA, felt tedious to me. Also, Eisler is getting more ambitious in describing some fight scenes. That made them harder for me to follow. Also, if Rain had a concern about his girlfriend Naomi at the start of the book, why wouldn't he dig around on his own(plant a bug, or use his hacker skills, claimed in previous novel) to confirm them before ruining the relationship?

I very much enjoy seeing Rain's weaknesses (women & lifestyle habits) and exploring why they remain. They make a lot of sense to me, being willing to risk a lethal weakness for the benefit. But maybe I'm just a guy, ha ha.

Given how Rain talks about knives, even in the last book, I think it is silly he walks around without even a pocket knife. If that was because of a legal issue in Macau or Hong Kong I didn't spot that explanation.

The rest of Eisler's research shines through. His writing exudes authenticity regarding locations, people, cuisines, and such. That takes work and especially to integrate into a pleasing piece of fiction instead of a travel article.

Loved the Dox character and how you don't know if he is really a friend until the very end. Eisler makes all the main characters memorable. They feel three-dimensional and vivid. ( )
1 vote Penforhire | Nov 10, 2010 |
A lot more "soap-opera" in this one than in the first 2 of the series - John Rain is questioning his life-choices, his life, his future, his "friends", heck, even his capabilities as he ages.

This doesn't make the story bad, however, if you haven't read the first books in this series, you won't care very much for John Rain's ponderings 'cause you don't know him yet.

Normally I don't like the soap-opera behaviors of kick-butt protagonists (they should fight, not think) but in this case, Rain asks himself the same questions I wanted answers to - like, how can Eisler have additional books in this series when Rain is aging and will end up getting his butt physically handed to him by some young bad boy.

Of course, these questions aren't answered here, but at least we know they've been thought of.

I'll definitely read more in the series 'cause I like Rain. ( )
  crazybatcow | Jul 26, 2010 |
This book has an alternate title - Choke Point.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0451215508, Mass Market Paperback)

Barry Eisler has given us a new hero - Japanese-American John Rain, the cynical, romantic, conscientious assassin - one of the most clever and vibrant protagonists we've seen in years.  In this new novel, Rain has fled to Brazil to escape the killing business and the enemies encircling him. But his knack for making death seem to have been from "natural causes" and his ability to operate unnoticed in Asia continue to create unwelcome demand for his services. His old employer, the CIA, persuades him to take on a high-risk assignment: a ruthless arms dealer operating in Southeast Asia." The upside? Financial, of course, along with the continued chimera of moral redemption. But first, Rain will have to survive the downside: a second assassin homing in on the target; the target's consort, an alluring woman with an agenda of her own; and the possibility that the entire mission is nothing but an elaborate setup. From the gorgeous beaches of Rio to the glitzy casinos of Macau to the gritty back streets of Hong Kong and Kowloon, Rain becomes a reluctant player in an international game far deadlier and more insidious than any he has encountered before.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:21:24 -0400)

"John Rain has fled to Brazil to clear his killing conscience. But his talents are still in demand. The assignment: take out an arms dealer in Southeast Asia. The upside: strictly financial. The downside: crossing the path of an Israeli spy equipped with her own unique talents--for seduction, betrayal, and life-and-death games more sinister than any that Rain has encountered before."--P. [4] of cover.… (more)

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,609,376 books! | Top bar: Always visible