Rain Storm by Barry Eisler

Rain Storm (2004)

by Barry Eisler

English (11)  Dutch (1)  All languages (12)
I'll be honest, I bought the book because I knew it wouldn't hold me in a chair all night until I finished reading it. I read Hard Rain and was less than engrossed. But I did want to see how the conspiracy evolved.
Unfortunately the conspiracy does not continue in this book, so I still don't know and probably won't read another one.
Eisler is still bogged down in t0o much metaphoric imagery. Pages of descriptions of scenery while Rain takes long lonely walks to make sure he is being followed. I skipped most of it, and which at least made the pace of the book move a bit faster for me.
***Vague spoiler in next paragraph***
However, Eisler has improved his plotting and character skills. He does allow Rain to be weaker, so you at least get a sense of underdog on occasion. However, he still missed the point of the underdog. The underdog should win. He should overcome his burdens and triumph. Instead Rain is overcome, gives up and is saved by a friend. Gives up is the key there. Heroes don't give up, Eisler.
I'm not a fan of neurotic over thinking in novels. I am a fan of the maxim "Show, Don't Tell." Rain does A LOT of internal dialog and it drains the interest out of the plot for me. I skipped a lot of that too.

blatherlikeme | Sep 28, 2014 |
It was fun, contemporary spy/assassin novel. I think this was the second book with Rain in it & I haven't read the first. It stood alone well & was pretty good. There were a few too many digressions with Rain philosophizing over his life & situation, feeling sorry for himself due to the way he is cut off from having a close relationship with a woman. It got old by the end, but it was the major theme of the book & the overall hook. The paranoia in his life was severe & he did find he could trust one person, much to his surprise. The lead to it was a bit heavy handed, though.

I doubt I'll ever want to read it again, but it was an enjoyable diversion. ( )
  jimmaclachlan | Aug 18, 2014 |
really good read. John Rain, assassin is a likeable character. ( )
  magentaflake | Jan 7, 2013 |
This book continues and expands our insight into John Rain. Eisler's prose is great, as usual. And yep, I'm still looking up a couple of words I don't know in each of his books, lol. That man is literate!

Okay, I rated this book down slightly compared to others in the series so far. Some aspects of the plot, digging around in the CIA, felt tedious to me. Also, Eisler is getting more ambitious in describing some fight scenes. That made them harder for me to follow. Also, if Rain had a concern about his girlfriend Naomi at the start of the book, why wouldn't he dig around on his own(plant a bug, or use his hacker skills, claimed in previous novel) to confirm them before ruining the relationship?

I very much enjoy seeing Rain's weaknesses (women & lifestyle habits) and exploring why they remain. They make a lot of sense to me, being willing to risk a lethal weakness for the benefit. But maybe I'm just a guy, ha ha.

Given how Rain talks about knives, even in the last book, I think it is silly he walks around without even a pocket knife. If that was because of a legal issue in Macau or Hong Kong I didn't spot that explanation.

The rest of Eisler's research shines through. His writing exudes authenticity regarding locations, people, cuisines, and such. That takes work and especially to integrate into a pleasing piece of fiction instead of a travel article.

Loved the Dox character and how you don't know if he is really a friend until the very end. Eisler makes all the main characters memorable. They feel three-dimensional and vivid. ( )
1 vote Penforhire | Nov 10, 2010 |
A lot more "soap-opera" in this one than in the first 2 of the series - John Rain is questioning his life-choices, his life, his future, his "friends", heck, even his capabilities as he ages.

This doesn't make the story bad, however, if you haven't read the first books in this series, you won't care very much for John Rain's ponderings 'cause you don't know him yet.

Normally I don't like the soap-opera behaviors of kick-butt protagonists (they should fight, not think) but in this case, Rain asks himself the same questions I wanted answers to - like, how can Eisler have additional books in this series when Rain is aging and will end up getting his butt physically handed to him by some young bad boy.

Of course, these questions aren't answered here, but at least we know they've been thought of.

I'll definitely read more in the series 'cause I like Rain. ( )
  crazybatcow | Jul 26, 2010 |
This book has an alternate title - Choke Point.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0451215508, Mass Market Paperback)

Barry Eisler has given us a new hero - Japanese-American John Rain, the cynical, romantic, conscientious assassin - one of the most clever and vibrant protagonists we've seen in years.  In this new novel, Rain has fled to Brazil to escape the killing business and the enemies encircling him. But his knack for making death seem to have been from "natural causes" and his ability to operate unnoticed in Asia continue to create unwelcome demand for his services. His old employer, the CIA, persuades him to take on a high-risk assignment: a ruthless arms dealer operating in Southeast Asia." The upside? Financial, of course, along with the continued chimera of moral redemption. But first, Rain will have to survive the downside: a second assassin homing in on the target; the target's consort, an alluring woman with an agenda of her own; and the possibility that the entire mission is nothing but an elaborate setup. From the gorgeous beaches of Rio to the glitzy casinos of Macau to the gritty back streets of Hong Kong and Kowloon, Rain becomes a reluctant player in an international game far deadlier and more insidious than any he has encountered before.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:02:44 -0400)

"John Rain has fled to Brazil to clear his killing conscience. But his talents are still in demand. The assignment: take out an arms dealer in Southeast Asia. The upside: strictly financial. The downside: crossing the path of an Israeli spy equipped with her own unique talents--for seduction, betrayal, and life-and-death games more sinister than any that Rain has encountered before."--P. [4] of cover.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,706,007 books! | Top bar: Always visible