Salvador by Joan Didion

Info:Vintage (1994), Paperback, 112 pages
Collections:Your library, To read, Non-fiction
Tags:vintage, softcover

Salvador by Joan Didion

Recently added byrr-k, awinder, kathytapia, jennifersoule, private library, sangreal, NigelYoung, Moiravw, Sitting_Room
Legacy LibrariesThomas C. Dent, William Gaddis

After reading [Slouching Toward Jeruselum] I was left wanting more [[Didion]]. Stretch's review of [Salvador] and my own interest in the history of U.S. involvement there made it the next logical choice. My four children were mostly out of toddlerhood when this was happening, and my attention was again turning outward. This was really when I first more deeply understood some new things: my country was not the good guy, both
sides in this conflict were slaughtering people, there were more than two sides, it was way more complicated than good guy vs. bad guy. (Yeah, I'm a slow learner.)

It was intriguing to see Didion's writing applied to such a topic as Salvador and the ugliness that was happening. I especially appreciated the way she compared Salvadoran use of language to more linear U.S. language use, especially in the use of numbers. She talked about Salvadoran use as being more generally descriptive of their world beyond numbers and into deeper meaning and how this was misunderstood by Americans. It reminded me of a ten year old client who kept insisting there were hundreds of empty beer bottles at his dad's house. His mom was upset and wanted him to be more specific because he was going to have to testify in court. He was an exceptionally bright child so she could not understand nor tolerate his exaggeration. She finally got it tho - he wasn't telling her how many bottles there were. He was telling her how scared and overwhelmed he felt. Didion talks about this difficulty describing Salvador in terms many of us understand, that she found herself without the words.

It's an interesting and quick read at only 100 pages. I had my first Salvadoran student in the early 2000s and wish I could have had more time with him. I'd like current information on it if anyone has any suggestions for sources. ( )
  mkboylan | Apr 4, 2013 |
Salvador is Didion's account her 2-week trip to El Salvador in 1982, then a country in the early stages of a 12 year brutal civil war. Her opening report describes some of the carnage and the everyday terror Salvadorans experience. The opening report is a vividly disturbing picture of just how cruel we can be to one another. From there Didion describes her encounters with various powerful citizens and American embassy officials, who relate the corruption and the utter confusion that permeates this civil war from the top to the bottom. From these interviews it is fairly plan to see that the Salvadorans and those in charge have become desensitized to the violence and disappearances, and are largely apathetic to any reforms proposed by the government. Yet the terror is still very much with them without abatement. Reconciliation is clearly not on the table and the average citizen has no hope that this war is ending soon. Also, discussed to some extent is the ineffectiveness of the U.S. Foreign policy in the murkiness of the civil war. A war in which our allies are more content with the continuation of this war in order to consolidate power rather than fight over ideological outcome or for a greater purpose. In the wake of needless bloodshed on such a massive scale, all an ambassador can do is work towards small victories like trials before executions and doing everything possible to insure the safety of the citizens in their charge.

Salvador is not a factual history of the war in 1982. It is, however, the war seen through the eyes of a journalist with limited time and resources in country. Bias is inherit in this kind of journalism and time and events told second hand become as fluid as the eye witness accounts. Didion tries to elevate these problems by sprinkling quotes and statements taken from official and vetted sources related to story is she is conveying. It's a one-sided truth, but I have not doubt that it is the truth to Didion. So while it's not a scholarly account of the events taking place in El Salvador in 1982, it is an invaluable piece that gives voice to the experiences and horrific events that shaped the lives of Salvadorans for over a decade.

Advice for other writers: Do not attempt to write like Didion unless your name is Didion. She does things with her sentence structure I didn't think was possible. At no point in my wildest imagination would paragraph sized sentence featuring a colon, a semi-colon, eight commas, and two sets of parentheses come off as anything but a clunky mess. Yet Didion's prose is so smooth and her phrasing so good that I hardly ever took notice of her peculiar style. She spews words onto the page and it comes out as a coherent, well constructed thought. She's a remarkable talent. ( )
4 vote stretch | Feb 18, 2013 |
Classic expose of life in the Salvador during the Reagan administration and its roots in Central American politics. ( )
  stpnwlf | Jul 16, 2007 |

"Terror is the given of the place." The place is El Salvador in 1982, at the ghastly height of its civil war. The writer is Joan Didion, who delivers an anatomy of that country's particular brand of terror–its mechanisms, rationales, and intimate relation to United States foreign policy.As ash travels from battlefields to body dumps, interviews a puppet president, and considers the distinctly Salvadoran grammar of the verb "to disappear," Didion gives us a book that is germane to any country in which bloodshed has become a standard tool of politics.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:40:50 -0400)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,643,968 books! | Top bar: Always visible