08 - Whistling In the Dark - June 2013…

08 - Whistling In the Dark - June 2013 Selection (edition 2007)

by Lesley Kagen

Member:RobinBrz
Title:08 - Whistling In the Dark - June 2013 Selection
Authors:Lesley Kagen
Info:NAL Trade (2007), Paperback, 336 pages
Collections:Your library, Book Club '12-'13

Whistling in the Dark by Lesley Kagen

Die hellen Tage by Zsuzsa Bánk (cometahalley)
    cometahalley: L'infanzia, i sogni. il candore e l'innocenza.

English (35)  Italian (1)  All (36)
A book written in the voice of a 10 year old girl and her sister. Sally O'Malley lost her father in a car accident that her uncle and sister were also in The uncle ends up brain damaged and the sister, Troo, refuses to talk about the accident. The story focuses on Sally and her search for a guy that has raped and killed two little girls in the area within the past 2 years. Her imagination takes her to many places. A good book, although I felt Sally is portrayed much younger then 10 at times and it was hard to feel she was an authentic 10 year old. ( )
  camplakejewel | Sep 21, 2017 |
I had to check several times to make sure that Sally was indeed 10 yrs old and Troo, even younger. The author tried too hard to make the narrator sound like a 10 yr old at times yet at other times the thinking, language, and experiences were of a much older girl. No way was Troo believable as a 9 yr old. Matter of fact most of the story was simply implausible. Even though the book was under 300 pages it felt much longer. The story was so slow at times that I had to fight the urge to skim just to be done with it. The author tried to cram every “social issue” in one story: extramarital affairs, drug use, teen pregnancy, alcoholism, neglect, abuse, the mentally handicapped, and yes, even the obligatory gay priest. The ending was contrived. There are few books that can believably pull off a child narrator. Harper Lee’s To Kill A Mockingbird is of course the benchmark. This one falls far, far short. Don't waste your time. ( )
  janb37 | Feb 13, 2017 |
It is the summer of 1959 in Wisconsin. 10-year-old Sally O'Malley is still trying to come to terms with the death of her father, who died two years previously. Her mother has been admitted to the hospital and may or may not be released. Her stepfather is mean, often drunk, and often not around. Sally tends to try to avoid her older half-sister, and that leaves only she herself to look after her younger sister Troo. In the meantime, there's a murderer/molester running loose and Sally is convinced she is going to be his next victim.

I really enjoyed this novel. The storyline itself was perhaps not mind-blowing, but it was good. But what appealed to me most about this story was the author's ability to really capture the feeling and the atmosphere of growing up as a young girl in the Midwest in 1959. I grew up approximately 15-20 years after this time period, but reading things from Sally's point of view made me very nostalgic for the good ol' days. I loved immersing myself into this story.

I read this on audio, which was read by the author. Her somewhat deep and husky voice (reminded me of a smoker's voice) was initially mildly annoying to me. However, her ability to bring to life the character's voices eventually made up for this and I wholeheartedly enjoyed the story. I'm looking forward to reading the sequel, Good Graces. ( )
  indygo88 | Jun 14, 2016 |
One of my favorite books. I loved the girl in the book. Her voice was so genuine for her age. It was everything I hope for in a book. I think of this book often even though I read it years ago. Highly recommended. ( )
  lacey.tucker | Mar 10, 2016 |
Whistling in the Dark is mainly appealing for the amazing first person narrative. The story is told by Sally, a girl who is often confused by her own imagination. Her character is naive, which I not only found endearing, but realistic for the time. Children were just not privy to the facts of life and slang as they are now... which brings me to her sister, Troo. Troo was not a believable character. Although the sisters spend a lot of time running the streets with a variety of characters, it is still not plausible that Troo would have the knowledge that she did.
I found the struggles of Sally and her sister, Troo, to be heartbreaking at times, but it seemed less authentic with the overwhelming amount of things that were against not only these sisters, but the community, and was surprised that the pacing was slow at times with all that the author had to work with.
Admittedly, I read the book in a day, so I have to wonder if this book wouldn't have been better served as a buddy read that was spread out over time. I think that the pacing may of been less noticeable, and therefore, less of an annoyance.
As far as the ending goes, it was largely predictable, but was still quite beautiful. ( )
  StephLaymon | Feb 3, 2016 |
For my sisters
I never heard exactly who it was that found Sara Heinemann's dead body over at the lagoon.

It was the summer on Vliet Street when we all started locking our doors...

Sally O'Malley made a promise to her daddy before he died. She swore she'd look after her sister, Troo. Keep her safe. But like her Granny always said-actions speak louder than words. Now, during the summer of 1959, the girls' mother is hospitalized, their stepfather has abandoned them for a six pack, and their big sister, Nell, is too busy making out with her boyfriend to notice that Sally and Troo are on the Loose. And so is a murderer and molester.

Highly imaginative Sally is pretty sure of two things. Who the killer is. And that she's next on his list. Now she has no choice but to protect herself and Troo as best she can, relying on her own courage and the kindness of her neighbors.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:24:13 -0400)

During the summer of 1959, ten-year-old Sally O'Malley fears that a child predator, who has already murdered two girls, will target her or her little sister, Troo, next. Sally's mom is in the hospital, while her big sister, Nell, is distracted by love and her stepdad, Hall, by the bottle.… (more)

Lesley Kagen is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 118,487,756 books! | Top bar: Always visible