The Nidderdale Murders (Yorkshire Murder Mysteries, #5)

by J. R. Ellis

313,335,302 (3)None
Recently added byelinevandm, lgpiper, MaureenJ

No tags

I don't know what it was about this book. It was essentially a police procedural. The police were investigating a murder in a small town in Yorkshire. A witness had identified the murderer, but then, when they searched diligently, the murder could not be found. Then, later on, another person was gunned down and a witness identified a second killer, who then disappeared without a trace.

It should have been an interesting book, but somehow it wasn't. Something about the writing style felt "off". I can't pin it down, but the interactions between the people seemed contrived and not real, and none of the primary characters was particularly likable. Then too, I find it hard to believe that folks who were locals at the pub, and who did odd jobs around town were also completely unknown to the people of the town. How do you be an odd-job man if there's no way for people to contact you? Small towns are full of gossiping and spying. How is it possible for someone to show up at the pub on a regular basis, but to have no one ever see the person come in to town or leave again? I dunno, it just didn't make sense.

Then too, I got a sense that I was supposed to be immersed in the wonder of the Yorkshire countryside, but I didn't find this book came close to even hinting about such wonders. The book told me from time to time how wonderful Yorkshire can be. But it never showed me Yorkshire's natural wonders. It's much different from my experience imagining Shetland from Anne Cleeves' books, or western Canada from the writings of Harold Blindloss or James Oliver Curwood. Then, of course, we have the masterful descriptions of Wessex as described by Thomas Hardy.

#NetGalley

lgpiper | Jan 10, 2021 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 155,698,347 books! | Top bar: Always visible