The Book of Lights by Chaim Potok

The Book of Lights (edition 1997)

by Chaim Potok

Member:debnance
Title:The Book of Lights
Authors:Chaim Potok
Info:Ballantine Books (1997), Paperback

The Book of Lights by Chaim Potok

English (8)  Dutch (1)  All languages (9)
  cavlibrary | Jun 3, 2013 |
Light from Kabbalah draws rabbinical student; light representing guilt of friend's whose father worked on the atomic bomb
  Folkshul | Jan 15, 2011 |
The story of a Jewish chaplain in the Korean War, this also deals with the theme of Kabbalah. It is a thought provoking book and a good read. ( )
  RRHowell | Mar 2, 2010 |
Not a book that you want to rush through, I found. My first thought was that The Book of Lights is markedly different from My Name is Asher Lev, yet some of the same themes dominate the book. What does it mean to be a Jew? What are one's responsibilities to one's family? Should one go through the motions or should one find one's passion? How can a person be both faithful to his family's traditions and faithful to making his way in the world? Important questions, all. ( )
  debnance | Jan 29, 2010 |
This book just sucked me in.: This is my second favorite Potak novel. My favorite is "The Gift of Asher Lev".

I had a slow time starting this story, but it didn't take long for me to be drawn into the setting and the story and the characters. Soon I was living inside this novel -- watching every scene with rapt attention.

Potok has a way of making me not only think, but to feel deeply. This is one of his most intuitive novels, so I was able to feel this story to the innermost part of my bones.
2 vote iayork | Aug 9, 2009 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0449245691, Mass Market Paperback)

Gershon Loran, a quiet rabinical student, is troubled by the dark reality around him. He sees hope in the study of Kabbalah, the Jewish bok of mysticism and visions, truth and light. But to Gershon's friend, Arthur, light means something else, the Atom bomb, his father helped create. Both men seek different a refuge in a foreign place, hoping for the same thing....

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:43:10 -0400)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,495,233 books! | Top bar: Always visible