Pride & Promiscuity: The Lost Sex Scenes of…

Pride & Promiscuity: The Lost Sex Scenes of Jane Austen (2001)

by Arielle Eckstut

English (13)  Danish (1)  All languages (14)
I think the author should have done a little more research into styles of pre-Victorian erotica before putting pen to paper. It's all very well to try and mimic Austen's voice, but when it comes out like fan fiction sex it is funny for all the wrong reasons. The writing felt forced, it did not read smoothly like Austen (despite her paragraph long sentences), dialogue didn't show the same depth in characters, and I thought it all rather trivial. I'm sure if Austen had left us some raunchy sex scenes tucked away in a box somewhere, they would have been more enticing and character driven than these, "oh what a large billiard cue you have" efforts. I wasn't a fan. ( )
  KatiaMDavis | Dec 19, 2017 |
From the back of the book: In 2002, an amateur Jane Austen scholar, while staying at Hertfordshire estate, stumbled upon a hidden cache of manuscript pages and made an extraordinary literary discovery - lost scenes from Jane Austen's novels that reveal an altogether different dimension of her oeuvre.

This book, much like The Princess Bride, would have you believe that it's contents are legitimate; except that William Goldman really tricked me into thinking his story was real :| . Eckstut proves that her findings of Auten's lost manuscripts are legitimate by including a letter of approval from English professor, Elfrida Drummond, authoress of splendid works, such as Pride in Punctuation and Proof and Prejudice. Alas, dear readers, Jane Austen didn't hide away sex scenes that her publisher refused to allow into all six of her novels, but this book was still a quick, quirky little read.

There's nothing erotic (in my opinion) about this novel, so if you're looking for detailed intimate moments between Elizabeth and Darcy, per say, you should probably look elsewhere. The best thing about this book is that Eckstut did her best to stick to the language of Austen's time and the scenes felt almost authentic. I say almost for two reasons: the writing doesn't really have Austen's voice, and some of the scenarios are too ridiculous to be believed. Re: Miss Bingley and Hurst involved in a threesome with Jane Bennett to test her marital suitability to Bingley. Again, there's nothing vulgar or overly explicit in the details, but the themes are intended for adult readers.

Some scenes made me roll my eyes - primarily the one mentioned above, but others did make me chuckle. Re: Emma pleasuring herself to the thought of how useful she is to everyone in her life and "how essential she was to the flawless running of the household." At 145 pages I didn't feel like I wasted my time, and I actually wished it were a little longer. Eckstut had some very clever moments and I would have loved to see them further developed, especially the comedic aspects. This book didn't blow me away, but if you're open-minded and in the mood for a chuckle or two, check it out! If you're looking for hot and heavy Regency-era action, I'd say look elsewhere. ( )
  MillieHennessy | Nov 3, 2014 |
This is a fun parody and quick, entertaining read. The premise with this one is that a failed Austen scholar happens across a box of sex scenes that were expunged from Jane Austen’s novels before publication. The saucy minx! I would say these are all along the lines of naughty and suggestive, rather than erotic or explicit. It’s been a couple of days and I’m still laughing about Charlotte Lucas dressing up as a dominatrix Lady Catherine de Bourgh.

Recommended for: Austen fans with a sense of humour. ( )
1 vote Nickelini | Dec 23, 2013 |
short, quick read of never before published scenes from Jane Austen novels (aka The Lost Sex Scenes of Jane Austen). I don't really agree with the title so much because while some snippets are racy, others are pretty docile. But if the author is telling the truth that these are in fact unpublished pieces but Austen that were found and later revealed, I'm sure at that time these would be considered the "Fifty Shades" of that time period. It was interesting to read but not one of my favorites. ( )
  blondierocket | Jun 15, 2013 |
A mixed bag. Some of the stories were amusing; I'm particularly taken with the Charlotte/Mr. Collins story, which would make that relationship work much better for me if it were canon, and while I don't remotely buy the Frank Churchill story, the wordplay was entertaining. Others, well, ick. It was worth checking out from the library and reading once, but I'm not going to buy a copy. ( )
  castiron | May 10, 2013 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 068487265X, Hardcover)

So it wasn't just subtext after all! In an unparalleled literary discovery, previously unknown writings unmask the Jane Austen hidden from history and reveal a writer whose sense and sensibility were more than matched by her knowledge of sex and sensuality. In a pitch-perfect literary parody, Arielle Eckstut and David Auburn claim to have stumbled upon lost manuscript pages from Jane Austen's novels, along with shocking letters to her sister and publisher. The 'excerpts' take readers behind closed doors to behold some very naughty goings-on among the characters of Pride and Prejudice, Sense and Sensibility, Emma and all of Austen's novels. Emma, it is revealed, takes self-satisfaction to a whole new level; Charlotte Lucas dresses up as Lady Catherine de Bourgh to give Mr. Collins the spanking of his life; and Fanny and Edmund are not the only ones at Mansfield Park flirting with incest. Elegantly packaged and 'authenticated' by a so-called Austen expert, Pride and Promiscuity belongs on the bookshelf of Austen fanatics and the millions who have made the films based on her works so popular. Even the most serious literary scholar would bet his tenure at whist to get his hands on this spirited and witty gem that proves Jane is hotter than any of us ever imagined!

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:23:35 -0400)

Funny collection of X-rated parodies of Jane Austen's fiction.

Canongate Books

An edition of this book was published by Canongate Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 137,437,407 books! | Top bar: Always visible