The Day After Tomorrow by Allan Folsom

The Day After Tomorrow (original 1994; edition 1995)

by Allan Folsom

Member:jayverh
Title:The Day After Tomorrow
Authors:Allan Folsom
Info:Vision (1995), Mass Market Paperback, 752 pages

The Day After Tomorrow by Allan Folsom (1994)

English (13)  Dutch (2)  Spanish (1)  All languages (16)
good Osborn Dr. — Paris — good
father killed yrs ago — Nazi
cryogenics

A thriller which weaves together three stories of international intrigue. In the first a doctor has to confront his father's killer, in the second a detective investigates a series of horrific murders, and in the third an international organization devises a masterplan of apocalyptic dimensions.
  christinejoseph | Feb 8, 2016 |
Day After Tomorrow by Allan Folsom
5 Stars

Day After Tomorrow begins in a Paris cafe where an American surgeon named Paul Osborn looks across the room and sees the man he thinks murdered his father thirty years before. Meanwhile, in London, a former Los Angeles homicide cop named McVey joins Scotland Yard to look into a series of decapitations involving a severed head and seven headless corpses. Osborn decides to hire a private detective to help him find the man he saw in the cafe. Eventually Osborn becomes a suspect in the decapitations. He and McVey also become involved with a powerful secret organization which seems to reach into every corner of Europe. The two plots (Osborn's father and the decapitated bodies) converge into a thrilling finale.

The action starts immediately and in many ways this book reminded me of a Robert Ludlum or Frederick Forsyth style of novel. The author weaves together a wide array of well-developed, interesting characters in an international murder mystery in a WWII/Nazi/modern-era setting.

I absolutely loved "The Day After Tomorrow". I was completely engrossed. It is action-packed for sure. The plot is carefully laid out so you find yourself guessing throughout the book as to who you want to trust and who you can't trust. The bad guys are truly evil.

On the down side, there is so much action and plot that sometimes it seems like there are too many characters and it can be a bit confusing. The plots are complicated but Folsom is able to connect them over the long run.

It was excellent story and had everything I look for in a suspense novel. It was well written with interesting characters. I had no problem with the length of the book and was sorry when I reached the end.

Olivermagnus | Jan 17, 2016 |
This book was crazy! It was a fun, fast read, but it was crazy. The plot is pretty inane and there's so much gratuitous violence, it's not even funny. I've never read of so many murders in my life. But it was still enjoyable to read and I think it's worth a good four stars.

It starts out with Osborne, an American doctor in Europe for a conference. His father was murdered 30 years ago and he witnessed it. It was traumatic and he remembered the killer's face. Back to the present. He meets a female French doctor and they embark on a whirlwind romance that takes them to England and France. Meanwhile, a grizzled American detective from L.A., McVey, is in London helping to investigate a series of gruesome murders where they're finding detached heads, as well as a body. The remains are not all English, however. They come from various countries, including France, so he heads to Paris to investigate. At the same time, Osborne sees his father's killer in a cafe and attacks him, but the man gets away. And so begins a mysterious chase that leads to utter insanity. Think Nazi plot to regain world dominance, a secret organization with people who have infiltrated everywhere and everything, so no one is trustworthy. And everyone is trying to murder everyone else. Eventually, the plot takes you to Germany, where the top people in the country, and the richest, have gathered to hear a mysterious Swiss man who recently survived a stroke, give a rousing speech about who knows what. There are bad guys, of course, and maybe the worst is Von Holden, an Argentinian Nazi who was miraculously in both the Russian special forces and the East German special forces. Stretches believability, but then the whole plot, when unraveled at the end, is so damn silly as to make the book seem insane, or at least the author. Reviewers comment on the final sentence of the book and it is important, yes, and it explains all, but I thought it was somewhat predictable, so I wasn't really too shocked when I read it. Nonetheless, it was a good mystery/thriller and it was nuts, so I liked it. Not the best I've ever read, but definitely recommended for those who enjoy bizarre thrillers and who can stand a little bloodshed. ( )
  scottcholstad | Jan 15, 2015 |
As I was cruising through book choices from my library, this book was listed as a mystery thriller, and while I hate to admit it, when I first downloaded it, i thought it was the book that the movie that came out a few years ago was--how wrong I was (and happily so)!

This story is the story of how being in the wrought place at the right time can drastically change your life. For Paul, an American doctor from LA who is visiting Paris for a conference, it is the right time and place. However, for the contract killer who killed Paul's father years ago, who is having a cup of coffee after work in the same cafe as Paul, it is definitely the wrong time. Paul recognizes this man who killed his father in front of him and immediately attacks him. The waiters obviously don't know what provoked this attack, and stop him long enough for the killer to escape.

This is merely the beginning for Paul, however.

He hires a detective to find out who this man is and vows to kill him. What he doesn't know, however, is that there is way more to the story than just this man. There is a conspiracy afoot--that will cause Paul, his newly found love interest, international police, a lot of heart pounding excitement. This was a book I didn't want to put down. A very good read! ( )
1 vote csweder | Jul 8, 2014 |
I expected more of this one, but after a few chapters I still felt no interest in knowing what would happen, so I figured I better drop it while I still could. However I have to give this the benefit of the doubt because I've been rather uninspired to read lately, so maybe that influenced my lack of interest. ( )
  AshuritaLove | Apr 7, 2013 |

Folsom, Allanprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Kooijman, HansTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Karen . . .
Paul Osborn sat alone among the smoky bustle of the after-work crowd, staring into a glass of red wine.
This is a novel, not a film. In particular, this novel has nothing to do with the 2004 motion picture The Day After Tomorrow directed by Roland Emmerich, and should never (again) be combined with that picture.

When global warming triggers the onset of a new Ice Age, tornadoes flatten Los Angeles, a tidal wave engulfs New York City and the entire Northern Hemisphere begins to freeze solid. Now, climatologist Jack Hall (Dennis Quaid), his son Sam (Jake Gyllenhaal) and a small band of survivors must ride out the growing superstorm and stay alive in the face of an enemy more powerful and relentless than any they've ever encountered: Mother Nature!

In Paris, an American doctor spots the man who murdered his father and he tries to kill him. Thus begins a tale of international intrigue, the villains of which are Nazi survivors of World War II, plotting to take over the world.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,793,489 books! | Top bar: Always visible