A Name of Her Own (Tender Ties Historical…

A Name of Her Own (Tender Ties Historical Series #1) (edition 2002)

by Jane Kirkpatrick

Member:gwynramsey
Title:A Name of Her Own (Tender Ties Historical Series #1)
Authors:Jane Kirkpatrick
Info:WaterBrook Press (2002), Paperback, 400 pages
Rating:*****

A Name of Her Own by Jane Kirkpatrick

Been on my list a long time and I finally got around to reading it, just to put it aside shortly after I started. I'm glad I picked it back up to finish. Loved the story, perspective and the details. Will DEFIANTLY read more of Jane Kirkpatrick's books. ( )
  untitled841 | Aug 20, 2015 |
A slow read.

Although this novel has been highly acclaimed by other readers, I found it a slow read. The sections where Marie interracted with other characters on a personal level flowed well, but I got bogged down in the minutiae of the general day to day survival.

Marie was based on Marie Dorion who travelled with an investigatory expedition from St. Louis to Astoria in Oregon. She accompanied her interpreter husband with two young sons, across thousands of miles of inhospitable terrain and we are with her for every gruelling mile. Whilst I am sure Jane Kirkpatrick has done thorough research, this felt like a history lesson and failed to capture my imagination.

I have the second volume, Every Fixed Star, waiting to follow on, but I am seriously considering giving it a miss. ( )
  DubaiReader | Dec 20, 2011 |
Courage and self-reliance are as important to the character's growth as her faith. Her faith develops very slowly as she survives crisises. A non-Christian could enjoy the adventure and women's fiction readers. The historical details are well researched and involved in the story. ( )
  ktoonen | Dec 1, 2011 |
A very likely choice for my 2010 book of the year. Jane Kirkpatrick sat next to me at a Oregon Women for Ag dinner. Afterward I was able to buy a couple of books and have her sign them. Sacajawea was one of my childhood hero’s and the heroine in this book share a very similar story. The book is about Marie an Indian woman who insists on taking her children and going with her French-Indian husband to Oregon Territory with the Aster Party. The Aster Party were the second party to successfully make the journey overland to Oregon, and they founded the city of Astoria. But they were badly managed and suffered many tragedies. Marie Dorion is a founding mother of Oregon, and this story is well researched and historically sound, but told as if you were watching it all unfold. ( )
  Rosenectur | Feb 20, 2011 |
Based on a true story. During the fur-trapping era of the 1800's, with two children, Marie Dorian refuses to be left behind in St. Louis when her husband heads west.
  hgcslibrary | Nov 29, 2009 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 073942954X, Hardcover)

A Name of Her Own is a fictionalized account of the life of Marie Dorion. With 2 young sons to raise, Marie refuses to stay in St. Louis when her husband heads West with the Wilson Hunt Astoria expedition of 1811, making her the first mother to cross the Rockies and stay in the Northwest. On the trip, Marie meets the famous Lewis and Clark interpreter, Sacagawea. Both are pregnant Indian women married to mixed-blood men of French Canadian and Indian descent who have traveled with expeditions led by white men and are raising sons in a white world.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:04:29 -0400)

Based on the true story of Madame Marie Dorion, this audiobook richly details the life of this indomitable woman and the men who, along with her, opened the West to trade and settlement.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 114,507,977 books! | Top bar: Always visible