First Counsel by Brad Meltzer

First Counsel (original 2001; edition 2001)

by Brad Meltzer

Member:gpangel
Title:First Counsel
Authors:Brad Meltzer
Info:Coronet (2001), Paperback, 496 pages
Collections:thrillers, Your library

The First Counsel by Brad Meltzer (2001)

English (7)  Dutch (1)  German (1)  All languages (9)
I have read a number of Brad Meltzer's books, and I don't know how I missed this when it first came out.

The First Counsel is an outstanding book--well written and with a great plot. Michael Garrick is a White House lawyer who begins a relationship with Nora Hartson, daughter of the President of the United States. Taking on such a relationship would definitely bring its own set of problems; however, with Nora, nothing is normal, and "problems" is an understatement.

A seemingly innocent night out on the town throws Michael into the center of a murder investigation with $10,000 of money intended for the victim in his name at a police station. The Secret Service, the FBI, and internal staff are all out to find the killer, and most of them are looking at Michael.

Can Nora help him or will she throw him to the wolves?

Great book! ( )
  cmeilink | Feb 13, 2011 |
The last chapters were good. ( )
  kaylol | Dec 9, 2010 |
A lot more fast paced than The Tenth Justice and a bit more believeable. Again, Meltzer is a bit waspish with the characters, but the ending was an unpredictable surprise. Nice change of pace. ( )
  debavp | Dec 2, 2009 |
If anything, I have learned more about my own reading pleasures through this book. I prefer a book that is realistic but still helps me escape from the realism of daily life, that develops relationships that matter, where evil is unquestionably identified, and where good clearly triumphs over evil. This book struck me as similar to a long, hard game of chess with a total stranger - at the end I know little of my opponent, in fact only what he has deliberately chosen to reveal, and it still ends in a clear stalement. No one wins, and it leaves a sense of discouragement and failure. Despite the clear suspense and unpredictable twists, this book left me regretting I had spent the time reading it. ( )
  taylorsteve | Aug 4, 2009 |
My favorite of Meltzer's books until I read THE BOOK OF LIES. A super fun read about the first daughter and the trouble she gets into. ( )
  miriamparker | Mar 19, 2009 |
For Cori,
my First Counsel,
my First Lady,
my First Love

And for my sister, Bari,
for never tattling when we were little,
and for always reading my mind as we grow up
I'm afraid of heights, snakes, normalcy, mediocrity, Hollywood, the initial silence of an empty house, the enduring darkness of a poorly lit street, evil clowns, professional failure, the intellectual impact of Barbie dolls, letting my father down, being paralyzed, hospitals, doctors, the cancer that killed my mother, dying unexpectedly, dying for a stupid reason, dying painfully, and worst of all, dying alone.

JOHN F KENNEDY, JR. WAS LARK.
AMY CARTER WAS DYNAMO
CHELSEA CLINTON WAS ENERGY
MEET SHADOW

Shadow is the Secret Service code name for First Daughter Nora Harston. And when White House lawyer Michael Garrick begins dating the irresistibly Nora, he's instantly spellbound, just like everyone else in her world. then, late one night, the two witness something they were never meant to see. Now, in a world where everyone watches your every move, Michael is suddenly ensnared in someone's secret agenda. Trusting no one, not even Nora, he finds himself fighting for his innocence - and, ultimately, his life.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 044661064X, Mass Market Paperback)

Aficionados of the hit TV show The West Wing who are suffering through holiday reruns will jump right into Brad Meltzer's third novel (after The Tenth Justice and Dead Even), which takes readers into the White House office of the president's own law firm and introduces a first daughter whose complex psychological problems jump-start this fast-paced thriller. Michael Garrick loves his job as deputy counsel, but when he falls for Nora Hartson, the president's daughter, the conflict between his professional ethics and his growing love for her puts him right in the middle of a murder plot that may reach all the way to the Oval Office.

Meltzer excels at plotting, and he knows the back corridors, family quarters, and secret tunnels of the executive branch as well as those of the Supreme Court, which he revealed in his first two blockbusters. He's not as skillful at characterization. It's hard to believe that the sociopathic tendencies of people in a president's inner circle--or even his family--would have managed to escape the scrutiny of an FBI investigation during his rise to power. And Nora, in particular, doesn't quite come off as the misguided victim she must be in order to make the rest of the story credible. But that's not a huge quibble; Meltzer manages to make Edgar Simon, Michael's boss, the most interesting White House counsel since John Dean. The First Counsel is a cleverly commercial mix of legal thriller and political chicanery guaranteed to keep you turning pages until Meltzer puts the third branch of government in his sights, too. --Jane Adams

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:52:26 -0400)

"Shadow is the Secret Service code name for First Daughter Nora Hartson. And when Michael Garrick, a young White House lawyer, begins dating the irresistible Nora, he's instantly spellbound, just like everyone else in her world." "It's a world all of us have heard about but few of us really know. A world where power is an aphrodisiac, your father is the president, your close friends wear earpieces and carry guns, and everyone watches your every move." "Like most, Michael thinks he can handle the pressure. Until, while together late one night, he and Nora witness something they were never meant to see - and become ensnared in a secret agenda, a scheme by a White House insider that includes betrayal and murder.""Suddenly, this young Washington power broker, who just yesterday was out on a dream date, finds himself trusting no one, not even Nora, in a battle to prove his innocence. It's a battle that will shake the walls of the Oval Office to their foundations - and may ultimately cost Michael Garrick his life."--BOOK JACKET.… (more)

Four editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,483,790 books! | Top bar: Always visible