The Inferno by Dante Alighieri

The Inferno

by Dante Alighieri

Series: The Divine Comedy (1)

15,726147113 (4.09)1 / 417

English (141)  Italian (1)  Swedish (1)  Dutch (1)  German (1)  French (1)  All (146)

Dante’s Inferno was the first book I was assigned to read in my high school World Literature class. Back then I couldn’t get over how much the emotion of fear set the tone as I read each page. I recently revisited this classic. Rather than a more conventional review – after all, there really is nothing I can add as a way of critical commentary –- as a tribute to the great poet, I would like to share the below microfiction I wrote a number of years ago:

Joyride

One balmy July evening at a seaside amusement park, Hector and his date strolled past the merry-go-round, toddlers’ swings and tooting fire engine out to the more hair-raising rides. At the very end of the pier, beyond the Wild Mouse and giant Ferris wheel, there was a new roller coaster that looked pretty frightening. Not only did the tracks have steep climbs and amazing plunges but there was an opening in the boardwalk where the roller coaster took its passengers under the pier.
"Look,” Hector said, pointing to the hole in the boardwalk, “I’ve never seen a roller coaster whose tracks go beneath the surface.”

“Oh!” his date squealed, eager for as much of a thrill as the amusements had to offer, “that must really be scary. Let’s go.”

They took their place in line behind the last thrill-seeker and watched as the roller coaster ascended, hurled down and sped around hairpin turns, finally climbing the highest hump of track and descending to where the track ran beneath the pier. Hector looked over at the spot in the boardwalk from which the train would eventually reemerge. He waited and waited. This was taking much more time than he though.

Hector’s girlfriend squeezed his hand. “Wow! I bet they’re really getting spooked down there.”

Hector heard shrieks coming from some place underneath their feet – shrieks not of delight or pleasure but shrieks to make your blood run cold.

“Oh, I can’t wait!” his date said, tugging at his shirtsleeve.

Hector crouched down to hear the shrieks and howls more clearly. Waves of heat rising from the spaces between the wooden boards of the boardwalk burned his face. After several uneasy moments he stood back up and watched as the roller coaster finally rolled through the cavernous opening in the boardwalk and stopped near the line.

All of the passengers’ faces were ashen and a middle-aged woman in the front seat was weeping on her husband’s shoulder.

“This must really be something,” Hector’s date said.

One terrified passenger unbuckled herself and climbed out. She walked past, eyes downcast, and Hector could both see and smell her hair was singed.

And if this wasn’t enough, the cheerless bearded man running the ride collected everyone’s tickets and pronounced lots would be drawn to determine who would have to ride in the first car. Hector’s date called out that if nobody else wanted, she would gladly volunteer for the front seat.

When the old man nodded, she pulled Hector by the hand to the front of the roller coaster and strapped him in next to her. Hector noticed for the first time the name of this ride – spelled out in red iridescent letters over their heads was “DANTE’S INFERNO.”

Hector slunk down in his seat next to his girlfriend, who was now giggling and playfully poking him in the ribs. As the roller coaster began moving, Hector tried to console himself with the grim fact that everyone on the preceding ride did at least come back alive.
  GlennRussell | Feb 16, 2017 |
The richness and depth of Dante's imagination is suggested by the incredible staying power of Inferno. This is a wonderful prose translation with extensive, helpful notes after each Canto. ( )
  jalbacutler | Jan 10, 2017 |
Stick with the original, this is "clever" yet not "readable." ( )
  librarylord99 | Nov 14, 2016 |
Exquisite edition. ( )
  Tracy_Tomkowiak | Sep 14, 2016 |
So I think this is my first Scarlet Blackwell read. It was a hot sexy read, an okay read and a boggling read (well in the last quarter of the book) because it seems like the author wrote 3 books in 1. So I was stumped on how to rate Inferno. So I'm breaking my review in thirds to try and work out a summary rating.

Follow along if you will:

Inferno based on the premise--FIVE STARS
A serial killer is on the loose and Detective Zack, a still-in-the-closet cop is mostly aroused but dissatisfied. (Seriously a stiff breeze would have turned him on...and this is before the ever-arousing Dante) There's a murder of a rent boy at Dante's club 'Inferno' and based on his strong attraction to Dante, Zack's prime suspect. The author shows Zacks struggle with his attraction to Dante. This good cop's about to go bad. And Dante...he is a little anti-hero-ish, the devil incarnate? Not really but he plays Zack like a fiddle and makes one great antagonist for this book. I liked that. I liked the steamy buildup, Zack having Dante sex nightmares/wet dreams, jerking off at all hours of the day cause he's consumed with Dante. Oh yeah me likey.

But see then...

Inferno based the actual delivery of 'suspense'--THREE STARS

The suspense was not as strong as I felt it started off in the story. I easily guessed the serial killer and the reason why the serial killer did, it is weird. Why not kill the rent boy at the end and his list of johns before? And you'd think after the second john gets killed the other ones would try not to go out clubbing at the scene of his murder...maybe? I guess the call of blowjobs strikes again. Blowjobs--1, Common Sense--0 LOL Ask Zack about it, he loses his job for them. But hey there is Dante, who's violet eyes, big...staff ;) and honey lip gloss (complete with gloss stick) helps soothes Zack's fears) But Dante can't carry this lackluster finish of the serial killer 'suspense'.

But wait the story's not finished. Then there's...

Inferno based the last quarter of the book--TWO STARS

It's a drama glitter stew with bitch slapping, excessive tears, tiramisu sex games or foul play (depends on who you ask), a fairy costume pageant(no I'm not making this up!) gold hotpants, glitter lip gloss & strawberry flavored lube!

How in the hell did Zack start Inferno" like this:

And then ends the story like this:

*scratches head* Um...WTF? Did a secret alien ship of drag queens abduct trapped-in-the-closet!Zack and exchange him with:

a gold lamé hot pants and miniskirt wearing, diva-like!Zack?

Now I appreciate a good hot gold lamé pant like the next girl but um...I think we've crossed into the land of overkill, population one (well maybe Zack's fellow pageant contestants are receiving their work visas there too) where slaps and tears are delivered like candy.

So in conclusion, I've learned tiramisu can be used as a sex toy, how to appreciate a good bitch slap and apparently I need to go pick up a pair of gold hot pants cause it brings all the boys to the yard, it works for Zack's yard (Kelis, apparently had it wrong, it's not milkshakes but gold lamé and glitter lip gloss brings the boys to the yard)

So what's the average rating? On Planet Drama, this book probably scores 10 honey lip glosses and a tiara (stars are so last season) but here on Earth, I'm rating it 3.25 STARS
" ( )
  SheReadsALot | Jun 20, 2016 |

Joyride

“Oh, I can’t wait!” his date said, tugging at his shirtsleeve.

“This must really be something,” Hector’s date said.

Alighieri, Danteprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Singleton, Charles S.Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Tiggelen, Chrisjan vanIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Tiller, TerenceEditorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Williams, HeathcoteNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
When I had journeyed half of our life's way, I found myself within a shadowed forest, for I had lost the path that does not stray. (Nel mezzo del cammin di nostra vita mi ritrovai per una selva oscura, che la diritta via era smarrita.)
Midway in his allotted threescore years and ten, Dante comes to himself with a start and realizes that he has strayed from the True Way into the Dark Wood of Error (Worldliness).
Abandon all hope, ye who enter here.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0451527984, Mass Market Paperback)

Considered to be one of the greatest literary works of all time- equal only to those of Shakespeare-Dante's immortal drama of a journey through Hell is the first volume of his Divine Comedy. The remaining canticles, The Purgatorio and The Paradiso, will be published this summer in quick succession.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:14:27 -0400)

In the first part of Dante's epic poem about the three realms of the Christian afterlife, a spiritual pilgrim is led by Virgil through the nine circles of Hell.

5 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0140440062, 0142437220, 0140448950, 0451531396, 0141195150

Indiana University Press

2 editions of this book were published by Indiana University Press.

Editions: 0253209307, 0253332141

NYRB Classics

An edition of this book was published by NYRB Classics.

W.W. Norton

An edition of this book was published by W.W. Norton.

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,212,218 books! | Top bar: Always visible