dismiss

The Inferno

by Dante Alighieri

Series: The Divine Comedy (1)

18,818175154 (4.08)1 / 463
Led by Virgil, the poet is taken down into the depths and shown the seven layers of Hell and those doomed to suffer eternal torment for vices exhibited and sins committed on earth. The 'Inferno' is the first part of the 'Divine Comedy' which continues the journey through Purgatory and Paradise.
    Soul Retrievers by David Burton (Skylles)
    Skylles: Explorations of Hell

English (167)  Catalan (2)  Swedish (1)  Italian (1)  French (1)  German (1)  Spanish (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (175)
I think it's good to read this every ten years or so, to marvel at Dante's inventiveness at the miseries these souls (heavily weighted toward those who were his contemporaries) have made for themselves, and how he makes himself so perfectly clueless about the very cosmology he devised. I paid particular attention to how as the author and his guide descend into Hell the sense of fantastic horror increases in a way that I don't think existed before. It felt like the aim was to burn out all vice in the Dante character so that he could re-emerge on the other side ready to take the path back toward heaven, maybe because of all the strife and tumult he'd experienced in his very political life up till then.
Reading the whole book in a month, about one canto a day, it just the right pace to allow one to study the endnotes. Most of the individual stories he crams in here I'd already forgotten from the previous times I've read the book. Of course many of these have now been adopted by other artists, but there are lots of others whom we know only through a couple of lines of verse seven centuries after they lived.
This is the second time I've read Pinsky's translation. I like it, but maybe not as much as John Ciardi's which seems more graceful, less brutal in places. The poem is a terrible beauty, studded with those amazing metaphors Dante was so fond of. ( )
  rmagahiz | Jul 9, 2020 |
This is a wonderful translation of The Inferno, especially for American readers. Robert Pinsky really made the text come alive. Who knew a romp through Hell could be so much fun? ( )
  MMKY | Jul 3, 2020 |
Having read this long enough ago to have largely forgotten it's contents, it was time to go through it again. However, listening to it as an audio book while doing something else reduced the attention that I gave to it and it was less meaningful to me. Perhaps the translation also made a difference

Still, as I passed being 20% of the way through the book it became more meaningful to me. I also thought about the reaction of offended contemporaries; what kind of person was Dante to write with such chance of causing enemies? I began to notice that nearly all of the people mentioned seemed to be Italian. What reaction was there to the book? ( )
  bread2u | Jul 1, 2020 |
I'm glad I tried this classic... but it was a bit much. Yea, Hell is bad and scary but I feel like this was gratuitously obscene and the lack of actual plot or character didn't help that. I knew going in that it was essentially a trip through hell, but I thought maybe there was more to it. Nope. ( )
  hopebarton2014 | Jun 15, 2020 |
İlahi Komedya'nın ilk cildi olan Cehennem'i okudum.

Rekin Teksoy eseri mükemmel bir şekilde çevirmiş. Eserin orjinaline uygun bir şekilde, yapabildiği kadar şiirsel dili korumaya çalışmış. Bolca dipnotlara yer vermiş, hatta bazen gereğinden bile fazla dipnot koymuş. Eğer bu kitabı okumayı düşünüyorsanız Rekin Teksoy çevirisinden okumanızı tavsiye ederim.

Şairin dili çok hoşuma gitti. Cehennem'i güzelce tasvir etmiş, cehennem ahalisine bolca yer vermiş. Kitap bu yöneleriyle çok başarılı; ama şair gıcık kaptığı herkesi cehenneme tıkmış, eserini çoğu yerde intikam güdüsüyle yazmış. Ayrıca kitapta çok fazla isim ve gönderme geçtiği için bu durum okumayı zorlaştırıyordu, bir yerden sonra bu yüzden dipnotlara bile bakmadım. Nasıl olsa tanımadığım kişilerden bahsetmiş dedim.

Kitap bence yeterince evrensel bir eser değil. İtalyanca için önemli bir eser olabilir; ama bir Dünya Klasiği olarak adlandırılmasını doğru bulmuyorum, çok fazla yerel bir eser.

Sanırım diğer iki cildini okumayacağım. ( )
  Tobizume | Jun 9, 2020 |

Williams, Heathcotesecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Williams, HeathcoteNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wright, S. FowlerTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wright, S. FowlerTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
When I had journeyed half of our life's way, I found myself within a shadowed forest, for I had lost the path that does not stray.

Questa nuova opera dantesca conserva - e consolida - la fortunata idea-forza delle precedenti dello stesso autore: trasparenza e didatticità dei commenti e delle note esplicative, aggiornamento e puntualità degli interventi critici.
Ciascuno dei tre volumi si apre con una introduzione mirata alla struttura fisica e all'ordinamento morale di ciascuna delle tre cantiche. In particolare il volume dedicato all'Inferno reca anche un'introduzione globale su tutto l'oltremondo dantesco.
In ciascuno dei tre volumi compaiono tutti i canti.
Ogni canto, completo nei versi e negli apparati, è preceduto da un'introduzione di sintesi narrativa, di valutazione critica, di inquadramento storico. Ed è concluso da una o due letture critiche su temi focali di Dante e della cultura che fu sua, desunte dalle opere dei maggiori dantisti e medievisti italiani e stranieri; da una ricca bibliografia di approfondimento multidisciplinare; da una batteria di proposte di ricerca.
Spesso, al termine del canto, ricorre la rubrica dei "passi controversi" dove vengono considerati i luoghi cruciali del poema di più complessa interpretazione filologica.
Un dossier di tavole illustrate fuori testo testimonia la fortuna iconografica della Commedia nei secoli, dai primitivi maestri miniatori ai grandi pittori del '900.
Rispetto alle precedenti opere dantesche dello stesso autore è stato accresciuto il numero complessivo delle pagine, è stata notevolmente migliorata la leggibilità, sono state aggiunte nuove letture, sono state rivisitate e ampliate molte proposte di ricerca.
(piopas)
"Abandon all hope",
A journey begun in Hell,
But not ended there.
(hillaryrose7)

5 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0140440062, 0142437220, 0140448950, 0451531396, 0141195150

Indiana University Press

2 editions of this book were published by Indiana University Press.

Editions: 0253209307, 0253332141

NYRB Classics

An edition of this book was published by NYRB Classics.

W.W. Norton

An edition of this book was published by W.W. Norton.

Arcade Publishing

An edition of this book was published by Arcade Publishing.

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 147,865,451 books! | Top bar: Always visible