Inferno: A New Translation by Dante…

Inferno: A New Translation (edition 2012)

by Dante Alighieri, Henrik Drescher (Illustrator), Mary Jo Bang (Translator)

15,170144124 (4.09)1 / 400
Member:Mz.Balma
Title:Inferno: A New Translation
Authors:Dante Alighieri
Other authors:Henrik Drescher (Illustrator), Mary Jo Bang (Translator)
Info:Graywolf Press (2012), Edition: Illustrated, Hardcover, 352 pages
Rating:***
Tags:Poetry, Verse Novels/Epic Poetry

The Inferno by Dante Alighieri

English (138)  Italian (1)  Swedish (1)  Dutch (1)  German (1)  French (1)  All languages (143)
I adore how accessible this translation is. I didn't really know what I was getting when I picked it up at a bookstore back in high school. I was peripherally thinking of starting out on Dante without any major clues as to what I should be looking for translation wise. I'm very glad (and lucky) that this happened to be my first encounter with The Inferno.

I think Dante's form and meaning is beautifully preserved in Pinsky's translation where it can be rather jumbled up in other translations I've read since. He seems to have worked very hard to remain true to the context and it's very helpful to have the original text right alongside the translation in order to do your own research into parts that catch you. In fact, it's this translation that largely sparked my desire to study other languages. ( )
  lamotamant | Jun 23, 2016 |
So I think this is my first Scarlet Blackwell read. It was a hot sexy read, an okay read and a boggling read (well in the last quarter of the book) because it seems like the author wrote 3 books in 1. So I was stumped on how to rate Inferno. So I'm breaking my review in thirds to try and work out a summary rating.

Follow along if you will:

Inferno based on the premise--FIVE STARS
A serial killer is on the loose and Detective Zack, a still-in-the-closet cop is mostly aroused but dissatisfied. (Seriously a stiff breeze would have turned him on...and this is before the ever-arousing Dante) There's a murder of a rent boy at Dante's club 'Inferno' and based on his strong attraction to Dante, Zack's prime suspect. The author shows Zacks struggle with his attraction to Dante. This good cop's about to go bad. And Dante...he is a little anti-hero-ish, the devil incarnate? Not really but he plays Zack like a fiddle and makes one great antagonist for this book. I liked that. I liked the steamy buildup, Zack having Dante sex nightmares/wet dreams, jerking off at all hours of the day cause he's consumed with Dante. Oh yeah me likey.

But see then...

Inferno based the actual delivery of 'suspense'--THREE STARS

The suspense was not as strong as I felt it started off in the story. I easily guessed the serial killer and the reason why the serial killer did, it is weird. Why not kill the rent boy at the end and his list of johns before? And you'd think after the second john gets killed the other ones would try not to go out clubbing at the scene of his murder...maybe? I guess the call of blowjobs strikes again. Blowjobs--1, Common Sense--0 LOL Ask Zack about it, he loses his job for them. But hey there is Dante, who's violet eyes, big...staff ;) and honey lip gloss (complete with gloss stick) helps soothes Zack's fears) But Dante can't carry this lackluster finish of the serial killer 'suspense'.

But wait the story's not finished. Then there's...

Inferno based the last quarter of the book--TWO STARS

It's a drama glitter stew with bitch slapping, excessive tears, tiramisu sex games or foul play (depends on who you ask), a fairy costume pageant(no I'm not making this up!) gold hotpants, glitter lip gloss & strawberry flavored lube!

How in the hell did Zack start Inferno" like this:

And then ends the story like this:

*scratches head* Um...WTF? Did a secret alien ship of drag queens abduct trapped-in-the-closet!Zack and exchange him with:

a gold lamé hot pants and miniskirt wearing, diva-like!Zack?

Now I appreciate a good hot gold lamé pant like the next girl but um...I think we've crossed into the land of overkill, population one (well maybe Zack's fellow pageant contestants are receiving their work visas there too) where slaps and tears are delivered like candy.

So in conclusion, I've learned tiramisu can be used as a sex toy, how to appreciate a good bitch slap and apparently I need to go pick up a pair of gold hot pants cause it brings all the boys to the yard, it works for Zack's yard (Kelis, apparently had it wrong, it's not milkshakes but gold lamé and glitter lip gloss brings the boys to the yard)

So what's the average rating? On Planet Drama, this book probably scores 10 honey lip glosses and a tiara (stars are so last season) but here on Earth, I'm rating it 3.25 STARS
" ( )
  SheReadsALot | Jun 20, 2016 |
I read the Longfellow translation and despite a huge lack of historical knowledge about Dante's contemporary Florence I really enjoyed Inferno.

The imaginative punishments are gruesome enough to capture your attention and the whole poem is successful in painting quite a visual image of Dante's incarnation of hell.

1 vote Laurochka | Feb 6, 2016 |
This was the most difficult book to understand i have ever read do to so many old local events and characters in it. It was hell but I am glad i got through it. it felt like an acomplishment ( )
  Bruce_Deming | Feb 5, 2016 |
I like this series better than her adult series. There is less mating drama, and Ash and the other Hunter's are so much more interesting when he's dealing with these young ones. I loved it, it was fun, adventurous, touching and frustrating.
Nick is still struggling with his powers and the realization that he may be the end of all he loves. He is changing, faster than expected. His trust is broken between him and his girl. His knowledge of what her job is hurts him too deeply to ignore.
When a hot cheerleader come onto him his teenage hormones drag him to her body where he finds it really nice. Yeh, except everything is not what it seems, is it ever ? His father is weakening, forces are after him, his hormones are wild, his controls are slipping and he finally gets to drive. He's already on the edge, then his mother goes missing. Can you say ballistic ? Things are a changing, and Nick and friends scramble to keep up. ( )
  TheYodamom | Jan 29, 2016 |

Sinclair, John D.Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Singleton, Charles S.Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Tiggelen, Chrisjan vanIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Williams, HeathcoteNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
When I had journeyed half of our life's way, I found myself within a shadowed forest, for I had lost the path that does not stray. (Nel mezzo del cammin di nostra vita mi ritrovai per una selva oscura, che la diritta via era smarrita.)
Midway in his allotted threescore years and ten, Dante comes to himself with a start and realizes that he has strayed from the True Way into the Dark Wood of Error (Worldliness).
Abandon all hope, ye who enter here.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0451527984, Mass Market Paperback)

Considered to be one of the greatest literary works of all time- equal only to those of Shakespeare-Dante's immortal drama of a journey through Hell is the first volume of his Divine Comedy. The remaining canticles, The Purgatorio and The Paradiso, will be published this summer in quick succession.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:14:27 -0400)

In the first part of Dante's epic poem about the three realms of the Christian afterlife, a spiritual pilgrim is led by Virgil through the nine circles of Hell.

6 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0140440062, 0142437220, 0140441050, 0140448950, 0451531396, 0141195150

Indiana University Press

2 editions of this book were published by Indiana University Press.

Editions: 0253209307, 0253332141

NYRB Classics

An edition of this book was published by NYRB Classics.

W.W. Norton

An edition of this book was published by W.W. Norton.

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 106,848,924 books! | Top bar: Always visible