The Fall of Hyperion by Dan Simmons

The Fall of Hyperion (original 1989; edition 1991)

by Dan Simmons

4,509561,075 (4.1)1 / 65
Member:st.hedges
Title:The Fall of Hyperion
Authors:Dan Simmons
Info:Spectra (1991), Mass Market Paperback, 528 pages
Tags:science fiction

The Fall of Hyperion by Dan Simmons (1989)

English (52)  Italian (2)  Finnish (1)  French (1)  All languages (56)
The book takes a different route in storytelling than Hyperion. It starts where Hyperion left off and finishes the pilgrimages journey but also centers a lot on the rest of the universe. It is masterful done as all the pilgrims' importance reveal themselves and that the shrike is not just a religious aspect of Hyperion. The futuristic world that Simmons has created is vastly interesting. The religious components and thee role and reliance of technology is well done. The prose is beautiful. While I would say this book is not as great as the first, it still is an incredible continuation of the story. ( )
  renbedell | Mar 12, 2016 |
  MisaBookworm | Feb 2, 2016 |
Pain is the curl and foam of a wave that does not break.

So, I'm writing this review around three full months after reading The Fall of Hyperion, and I'm still not really sure what to say about it. Did I enjoy it? Absolutely. Did I think it was as good as Hyperion? Absolutely not. But then, in the realm of science fiction, Hyperion, for me, was a cut above the rest. This is a perfectly satisfying conclusion, one that I am happy with, and one that answers a lot of the weirdness that went on in Hyperion.

As my memory of what happened at what point in this story wanes, I have but a few general points to make about the story. This very much feels like a resolution, in that almost all of the question that you have at the end of Hyperion – and there are or will be many! - are answered in a way that might be satisfying to you, or might not, depending on what you really wanted out of the story. I think, perhaps, my favourite of the character progressions/”stories” were those of Meina Gladstone and Sol Weintraub (though not that of his daughter – which I know sounds weird given how tied up they were together. But what happens to him in the story is fine, while the whole Rachel/Moneta thing felt both creepy and overly-convenient to me. It's probably not a point I could solidly defend, but it is one that reduced my enjoyment of Rachel's involvement in things.) The extended portrayal of Sol's grief and hope really felt incredibly realistic to me, so I appreciated the sensitive treatment of such here.

As for Meina, well, I just have a thing for morally ambiguous female leaders (Malazan slight spoiler think Tavore in MBotF, perhaps?). The exploration of the relationships between the AI and the humans is much more fleshed out here too – I had some difficulty in grasping it in the first book but my fears were allayed by the events of this one. That doesn't hold true for some other things, though. I found what happened around the Time Tombs often felt like a bit of a plot device that changed to suit the other places he wanted the narrative to go. I also felt like ( the bits with the Keats persona dragged a little. I don't know if it was just me, but I would have preferred not to spend quite so much time with him compared to some of the other things that were happening or could have potentially happened.) I really wanted to spend more time, for example, on the Priest's story and the Catholic Church as a whole – I felt the way that organisation had shifted (and not shifted) over the years to be really intriguing, and I just wanted to read more in that direction.

I've been well warned by someone I trust to end my relationship with these books here, and so I shall. But it's been incredibly enjoyable and rewarding. While I may not have enjoyed this book as much as the first, it's far above average science fiction, and definitely one to read if you enjoy the genre. I give The Fall of Hyperion nine out of ten.

hoegbottom | Jan 30, 2016 |
Didn't enjoy it quite as much as part 1, but definitely a good read. ( )
  cvalin | Jan 24, 2016 |
Seven pilgrims have travelled through space on a pilgrimage to the shrike; for at least six this will most likely result in death. One of them is carrying his infant daughter, Rachel, who is suffering from Merlin sickness and who has been getting younger day by day for the past twenty-six years. In the meantime, Gladstone, who is head of the Hegemony that helps rule humankind on a multitude of planets linked by farcasters that mess with space and time to allow almost instantaneous travel between these planets, is preparing for war with the Ousters. There is also a conglomeration of artificial intelligence life forms in The Core that help rule and who provide information to the Hegemony. There appears to me more on her agenda, however, early on in the book. Ousters are genetically modified humans who have been designed to live in zero gravity and live beyond the Hegemony. She receives updates on the pilgrims via a man who sees what happens in his dreams. The entire question of this book is whether or not humans will continue to exist, or, if they do, if it will be just the Ousters.

I read this to learn what became of Rachel, which naturally we don’t know until right near the end of the book. While the first book had those last two marvelous chapters that helped compensate for the weaker first few chapters (there are only about six long chapters in the first book), overall I really didn’t find anyone I liked enough here. There wasn’t enough of the characters I was able to like last time, and once again, too much graphic violence for my tastes, unbelievable technology that doesn’t have a good enough book around it to help me suspend my disbelief, and not enough likable characters. The political, moral and ethical messages are nothing new. I’m not going to bother with he next two books, which don’t even pick up where this leaves off, nor am I likely to read Dan Simmons again.

Why two stars and not one? It got the second star because I didn’t absolutely hate it so much that I couldn’t read a set number of pages per day and because there are some interesting sections and tidbits in there.
  Karin7 | Jan 21, 2016 |

Dan Simmonsprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Ahokas, JuhaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Gibbons, LeeCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ruddell, GaryCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To John Keats

Whose Name Was Writ

in Eternity
On the day the armada went off to war, on the last day of life as we know it, I was invited to a party.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0553288202, Mass Market Paperback)

The stunning continuation of the epic adventure begun in Hyperion. On the world of Hyperion the mysterious Time Tombs are opening. And the secrets they contain mean that nothing--nothing anywhere in the universe--will ever be the same.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:12:04 -0400)

In the continuation of the epic adventure begun in Hyperion, the far future is resplendent with drama and invention. On the world of Hyperion, the mysterious Time Tombs are opening. And the secrets they contain mean that nothing--nothing anywhere in the universe--will ever be the same.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 106,922,250 books! | Top bar: Always visible