The Fall of Hyperion by Dan Simmons

The Fall of Hyperion (original 1989; edition 1991)

by Dan Simmons

4,659631,019 (4.09)1 / 72
Member:st.hedges
Title:The Fall of Hyperion
Authors:Dan Simmons
Info:Spectra (1991), Mass Market Paperback, 528 pages
Tags:science fiction

The Fall of Hyperion by Dan Simmons (1989)

English (59)  Italian (2)  Finnish (1)  French (1)  All (63)
I just received my copy of The Fall of Hyperion by Dan Simmons recently re-released by Subterranean Press in a beautiful bound volume illustrated by John Picacio and of course had to reread the novel.

Let's just say this - the Hyperion Cantos - made up of the Hyperion and The Fall of Hyperion easily lands on my list as one of my top 5 favorite Speculative Fiction novels of all time. The story of the Hyperion travelers which so dominated the first volume takes a back seat to a wider story in the second book in which the story, through galactic intrigue, regarding the pending downfall of man is told.

Man's struggle with his creation, the binding force of the universe and the destiny of man are all talked about.

Just as good the second or third time as the first, it is a must read. ( )
  bhuesers | Mar 29, 2017 |
The Fall of Hyperion is a sequel to Hyperion. We return to the world of Hyperion where seven pilgrims and an infant are seeking an audience with the Shrike, a creature rumored to grant only one wish. In Hyperion the pilgrims and their life stories are laid out, allowing for the plot in The Fall of Hyperion to concentrate on the politics (the Time Tombs are opening; there is a war going on). Taking place in the 29th century and mostly in the Valley of the Tombs, each pilgrim encounters a personal struggle. We finally are introduced to the Tree of Pain where individuals are long suffering, impaled on thorns of steel. Strange. No one is dead on the Tree of Pain. The point is they are supposed to suffer.
[To be honest, I had trouble knowing if and when someone died. I don't think it's a spoiler alert to say that everyone died because most of them come back again, one way or another.] ( )
  SeriousGrace | Feb 27, 2017 |
the Tombs open, Mankind destroys the Farcaster web to escape domination by the TechnoCore and the Ousters show the Hegemony the path to the future. Full of philosophical dialogue, religious overtones and weird ideas. Well done. ( )
  BookstoogeLT | Dec 10, 2016 |
I didn't like this one as much as the first book. It seemed to ramble a bit and I didn't feel as connected to the characters. Then there was the surreal, time travel stuff that was just really confusing. Fortunately whenever I started to feel like giving up, some thing really interesting would happen or some really interesting concept would be brought up and I would get sucked right back in.

This seems like a good place to take a break from the series because there's a lot of closure. Since all the books are audio, I expect to get back to it at some point. ( )
  ragwaine | Aug 20, 2016 |
Pain is the curl and foam of a wave that does not break.

So, I'm writing this review around three full months after reading The Fall of Hyperion, and I'm still not really sure what to say about it. Did I enjoy it? Absolutely. Did I think it was as good as Hyperion? Absolutely not. But then, in the realm of science fiction, Hyperion, for me, was a cut above the rest. This is a perfectly satisfying conclusion, one that I am happy with, and one that answers a lot of the weirdness that went on in Hyperion.

As my memory of what happened at what point in this story wanes, I have but a few general points to make about the story. This very much feels like a resolution, in that almost all of the question that you have at the end of Hyperion – and there are or will be many! - are answered in a way that might be satisfying to you, or might not, depending on what you really wanted out of the story. I think, perhaps, my favourite of the character progressions/”stories” were those of Meina Gladstone and Sol Weintraub (though not that of his daughter – which I know sounds weird given how tied up they were together. But what happens to him in the story is fine, while the whole Rachel/Moneta thing felt both creepy and overly-convenient to me. It's probably not a point I could solidly defend, but it is one that reduced my enjoyment of Rachel's involvement in things.) The extended portrayal of Sol's grief and hope really felt incredibly realistic to me, so I appreciated the sensitive treatment of such here.

As for Meina, well, I just have a thing for morally ambiguous female leaders (Malazan slight spoiler think Tavore in MBotF, perhaps?). The exploration of the relationships between the AI and the humans is much more fleshed out here too – I had some difficulty in grasping it in the first book but my fears were allayed by the events of this one. That doesn't hold true for some other things, though. I found what happened around the Time Tombs often felt like a bit of a plot device that changed to suit the other places he wanted the narrative to go. I also felt like ( the bits with the Keats persona dragged a little. I don't know if it was just me, but I would have preferred not to spend quite so much time with him compared to some of the other things that were happening or could have potentially happened.) I really wanted to spend more time, for example, on the Priest's story and the Catholic Church as a whole – I felt the way that organisation had shifted (and not shifted) over the years to be really intriguing, and I just wanted to read more in that direction.

I've been well warned by someone I trust to end my relationship with these books here, and so I shall. But it's been incredibly enjoyable and rewarding. While I may not have enjoyed this book as much as the first, it's far above average science fiction, and definitely one to read if you enjoy the genre. I give The Fall of Hyperion nine out of ten.

thebookmagpie | Aug 7, 2016 |

Dan Simmonsprimary authorall editionscalculated
Ahokas, JuhaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Gibbons, LeeCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ruddell, GaryCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To John Keats

Whose Name Was Writ

in Eternity
On the day the armada went off to war, on the last day of life as we know it, I was invited to a party.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0553288202, Mass Market Paperback)

The stunning continuation of the epic adventure begun in Hyperion. On the world of Hyperion the mysterious Time Tombs are opening. And the secrets they contain mean that nothing--nothing anywhere in the universe--will ever be the same.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:12:04 -0400)

In the continuation of the epic adventure begun in Hyperion, the far future is resplendent with drama and invention. On the world of Hyperion, the mysterious Time Tombs are opening. And the secrets they contain mean that nothing--nothing anywhere in the universe--will ever be the same.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,322,512 books! | Top bar: Always visible