The Fall of Hyperion by Dan Simmons

The Fall of Hyperion (original 1989; edition 1991)

by Dan Simmons

4,684641,010 (4.09)1 / 72
Member:st.hedges
Title:The Fall of Hyperion
Authors:Dan Simmons
Info:Spectra (1991), Mass Market Paperback, 528 pages
Tags:science fiction

The Fall of Hyperion by Dan Simmons (1989)

English (60)  Italian (2)  Finnish (1)  French (1)  All (64)
The Fall of Hyperion picks up right where Hyperion left off, with the remaining pilgrims encamped at the mysterious Time Tombs. This book attempts to tell the tales of all of the pilgrims (who are often separated in ways that let them interact with their own backstories), as well as that of the galactic CEO and what's going on in the larger political scale, and that of a second cybrid John Keats (independent of the one who died in the previous book) to get a look at what's happening withing the AI Megasphere. As you can tell, there is a *lot* going on in this novel, and I'm not sure that is to the book's advantage--the author rapidly jumps around from one plotline to the next in a way that's a little dizzying. Gone is the sense of mystery from the previous book, as this one features a lot more action than wonder. Despite all this, the book did end the narrative well, featuring a plot twist that I both enjoyed and didn't see coming. On the whole, though, myriad disconnected plotlines featuring characters that I had trouble connecting with causes me to regard this one more critically than not. ( )
  Phrim | Apr 7, 2017 |
I just received my copy of The Fall of Hyperion by Dan Simmons recently re-released by Subterranean Press in a beautiful bound volume illustrated by John Picacio and of course had to reread the novel.

Let's just say this - the Hyperion Cantos - made up of the Hyperion and The Fall of Hyperion easily lands on my list as one of my top 5 favorite Speculative Fiction novels of all time. The story of the Hyperion travelers which so dominated the first volume takes a back seat to a wider story in the second book in which the story, through galactic intrigue, regarding the pending downfall of man is told.

Man's struggle with his creation, the binding force of the universe and the destiny of man are all talked about.

Just as good the second or third time as the first, it is a must read. ( )
  bhuesers | Mar 29, 2017 |
The Fall of Hyperion is a sequel to Hyperion. We return to the world of Hyperion where seven pilgrims and an infant are seeking an audience with the Shrike, a creature rumored to grant only one wish. In Hyperion the pilgrims and their life stories are laid out, allowing for the plot in The Fall of Hyperion to concentrate on the politics (the Time Tombs are opening; there is a war going on). Taking place in the 29th century and mostly in the Valley of the Tombs, each pilgrim encounters a personal struggle. We finally are introduced to the Tree of Pain where individuals are long suffering, impaled on thorns of steel. Strange. No one is dead on the Tree of Pain. The point is they are supposed to suffer.
[To be honest, I had trouble knowing if and when someone died. I don't think it's a spoiler alert to say that everyone died because most of them come back again, one way or another.] ( )
  SeriousGrace | Feb 27, 2017 |
the Tombs open, Mankind destroys the Farcaster web to escape domination by the TechnoCore and the Ousters show the Hegemony the path to the future. Full of philosophical dialogue, religious overtones and weird ideas. Well done. ( )
  BookstoogeLT | Dec 10, 2016 |
I didn't like this one as much as the first book. It seemed to ramble a bit and I didn't feel as connected to the characters. Then there was the surreal, time travel stuff that was just really confusing. Fortunately whenever I started to feel like giving up, some thing really interesting would happen or some really interesting concept would be brought up and I would get sucked right back in.

This seems like a good place to take a break from the series because there's a lot of closure. Since all the books are audio, I expect to get back to it at some point. ( )
  ragwaine | Aug 20, 2016 |

Dan Simmonsprimary authorall editionscalculated
Ahokas, JuhaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Gibbons, LeeCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ruddell, GaryCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To John Keats

Whose Name Was Writ

in Eternity
On the day the armada went off to war, on the last day of life as we know it, I was invited to a party.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0553288202, Mass Market Paperback)

The stunning continuation of the epic adventure begun in Hyperion. On the world of Hyperion the mysterious Time Tombs are opening. And the secrets they contain mean that nothing--nothing anywhere in the universe--will ever be the same.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:12:04 -0400)

In the continuation of the epic adventure begun in Hyperion, the far future is resplendent with drama and invention. On the world of Hyperion, the mysterious Time Tombs are opening. And the secrets they contain mean that nothing--nothing anywhere in the universe--will ever be the same.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 114,467,358 books! | Top bar: Always visible