The Boats of the Glen Carrig by William…

The Boats of the "Glen Carrig" (1907)

by William Hope Hodgson

Me encanta este escritor, y prácticamente todo lo que ha escrito, con pocos altibajos.
Para mí es el escritor definitivo de Horror ambientado en el mar, y es un placer leer su estilo moderno, atemporal, que le dan un valor difícilmente explicable.

Cuando acabas de leer libros como "Los botes del Glen Garrig" realmente te quedas con la sensación de haber hecho un extraño viaje, y eso es para mí impagable.

Sería un grave error que no lo leyeras ;)

Mi reseña completa aquí
  LuisBermer | Sep 2, 2018 |
This was a surprisingly good book. The language used was quaint but didn’t hamper the story. A good bit of marital language is used but I didn’t find it hard to follow the story. The tale itself reminds me of a H.P. Lovecraft story. The “monsters” are left to your imagination and the atmosphere of the book is otherworldly. ( )
  Arkrayder | Jun 20, 2018 |
Prior to selecting The Boats of the ‘Glen Carrig’ as my next read on Serial Reader, I was unaware that William Hope Hodgson was a source of inspiration for Lovecraft. In fact, as I devoured the novel, I remember remarking to myself how much it felt like something Lovecraft would write – and no wonder!

The Boats of the ‘Glen Carrig’ is written in first-person point of view and feels largely epistolary in form (though it is actually a travelogue). There is no dialogue and readers only know what Winterstraw writes. The story follows a marooned ship and its crew first as they encounter an odd island and then as they end up stranded in what appears as a Hell on Earth – or in this case, the sea. There, they discover another ship entangled in seaweed for seven years (yeah, I don’t get that either, but hey who’s judging?).

Oddly enough, despite the myriad oddities that those aboard the Glen Carrig encounter, it is the second ship they find that truly bewilders me and crosses me as unbelievable. I’m all for the time of creatures this group encounters, but I cannot fathom how it is possible that so many individuals survived on ship that was, for the most part, dead in the water. I kept waiting and waiting for something to go wrong, for something truly disturbing to happen in regards to the other boat and well… there was nothing.

Even though I feel disappointed by the outcome of things with the other ship, overall I found The Boats of the ‘Glen Carrig’ a fun read. For fans of H. P. Lovecraft, it is a must-read. The Wildside Press publication of this book, as well as several other public domain publications, are available on Amazon, free of charge. An audio version can be found on Librivox, an organization comprised of volunteers that come together to record audiobooks of titles that are in the Public Domain. ( )
  agrimscythe | Mar 20, 2018 |
This was a totally creepy story about a ship’s crew that becomes stranded on a mysterious continent, where the waters are choked with weeds and teem with creatures that seem to be part worm, part octopus, and all disgusting. I enjoyed this story very much, particularly with the author’s judicious use of overt horror. Much easier to be scared when the horror is lurking in the corner of your eye rather than getting up in your face all the time. There were several occasions that prompted cries of disgust and surprise! The only complaint I have is that the story seemed to end rather abruptly. Otherwise, recommended. ( )
  rabbitprincess | Nov 30, 2017 |
'The Boats of the Glen Carrig' starts with a group of shipwreck survivors already in the lifeboats and looking for a safer landfall. The first land they find is anything but safe; later, they leave that place, survive a storm and finally sail through a sea of vegetation to find an island where they can plan their escape from danger. In between times, they endure attacks by a variety of strange sea creatures. China Miéville’s introduction to the omnibus edition where I read this warned me that Hodgson indulged in nautical techno-babble (and provided a hilarious example of such from Jonathan Swift), but despite that and the relative simplicity of the plot, the imagery is remarkable. But the imagery is just plonked into the story for effect – ‘we rowed past this ship that was in the grip of a giant octopus’ sort of thing. It’s utterly memorable; but as for where the giant octopus came from, why it was attacking the ship, or indeed where any of the weird and not-so-wonderful creatures came from is never made clear. They are just strange things that happen at sea. Indeed, this seems to be a recurrent theme in Hodgson’s writing. Also a recurrent theme is the sudden reveal, although these are not exactly gasp-inducing plot twists. Towards the end, we find out that our narrator was a passenger on board the Glen Carrig, not one of the crew. Lest anyone accuse me of dropping spoilers into the discussion, let me add that that does not affect the plot one tiny bit.
1 vote RobertDay | Nov 1, 2017 |

William Hope Hodgsonprimary authorall editionscalculated
Carter, LinIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Edwards, LesCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
LoGrippo, RobertCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Turetsky, MarkNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
MADRE MIA

People may say thou art no longer young
And yet, to me, thy youth was yesterday,
A yesterday that seems
Still mingled with my dreams.
Ah! how the years have o'er thee flung
Their soft mantilla, grey.

And e'en to them thou art not over old;
How could'st thou be! Thy hair
Hast scarcely lost its deep old glorious dark:
Thy face is scarcely lined. No mark
Destroys its calm serenity. Like gold
Of evening light, when winds scarce stir,
The soul-light of thy face is pure as prayer.
Now we had been five days in the boats, and in all this time made no discovering of land.
This is the standalone edition of Boats of the "Glen Carrig", not the Night Shade Press edition which include not only Boats but much additional weird nautical fiction from Hodgson.

1st Sphere edition paperback, fine

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:13:51 -0400)

The Boats of the "Glen-Carrig" is a horror novel written by William Hope. The novel is written archaically, and pretends to be an authentic account of shipwreck survivors in 1757. Thrilling and masterfully written, this book will appeal to lovers of frightening fiction, and will be of special interest to fans and collectors of Hope's chilling work. This book was first published in 1907, and is being republished now in an affordable, high-quality, modern edition. It comes complete with a specially commissioned biography of the author.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 133,489,387 books! | Top bar: Always visible