How to Read a Book: The Classic Guide to…

How to Read a Book: The Classic Guide to Intelligent Reading (original 1940; edition 1996)

by Mortimer J. Adler, Charles Van Doren

Member:nikkimagenta
Title:How to Read a Book: The Classic Guide to Intelligent Reading
Authors:Mortimer J. Adler
Other authors:Charles Van Doren
Info:Simon & Schuster (1996), Paperback, 426 pages

How to Read a Book by Mortimer J. Adler (1940)

This book deserves a detailed review but, I think the best review I could give it is this:

Oh how I wish I had read this when I was 18!

Highly recommended. ( )
  dham340 | May 10, 2015 |
If you want to understand the bible or any book for that matter better then get this book and read it ( )
  Theodore.Gebretsadik | Feb 8, 2015 |
I was disappointed in this book, it seemed to have promise. It approached reading in a dictatorial style, there are things you must do or you don’t have a right to judge the book. It feels pedagogic and somewhat demeaning, like a teacher instructing young kids. There is no discussion of alternative opinions or ideas, very little argument even in support of its positions.

Most of the book is just common sense. It is slow, the writing is tedious. I won’t say its advice is bad, but if you’ve read much, you already know it.

Will you enjoy it? Many comments are quite favorable, people seem to like it or hate it. I think if you’ve read much, you probably won’t get anything from the book. If you don’t read, why would you be interested? ( )
  Nodosaurus | Jan 7, 2015 |
The information was good, but it was obvious that it was written in a time when people were more patient in the way information was presented. It was really dry and I couldn't stay focused on what I was reading. ( )
  Mirandalg14 | Aug 18, 2014 |
I first read this book in the late 1970s. I count it among the Top Ten Most Influential Books of my reading life. Perhaps the most valuable lesson I learned was when to *stop* reading a book because it does not have much worth to say, or to be able to know when just to scan a book for the kernel of what the author has to say, and pass over the fluff and froth. ( )
  KirkLowery | Mar 4, 2014 |

Adler, Mortimer J.primary authorall editionsconfirmed
Van Doren, Charlesmain authorall editionsconfirmed
To Mark and Arthur
How to Read a Book was originally published in the early months of 1940. - Preface
This is a book for readers and for those who wish to become readers.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0671212095, Paperback)

How to Read a Book, originally published in 1940, has become a rare phenomenon, a living classic. It is the best and most successful guide to reading comprehension for the general reader. And now it has been completely rewritten and updated.

You are told about the various levels of reading and how to achieve them -- from elementary reading, through systematic skimming and inspectional reading, to speed reading, you learn how to pigeonhole a book, X-ray it, extract the author's message, criticize. You are taught the different reading techniques for reading practical books, imaginative literature, plays, poetry, history, science and mathematics, philosophy and social science.

Finally, the authors offer a recommended reading list and supply reading tests whereby you can measure your own progress in reading skills, comprehension and speed.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:15:09 -0400)

Discusses the various levels of reading and how to achieve them, the different reading techniques for reading practical books, imaginative literature, plays, poetry, history, science, mathematics, philosophic and social science, and finally, a recommended reading list and reading tests whereby you can measure your own progress in reading skills, comprehension and speed.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,034,141 books! | Top bar: Always visible