The Rest of Her Life by Laura Moriarty

The Rest of Her Life

by Laura Moriarty

Recently added bythukpa, LaMensch, HeatherLINC, Connie-D

This was a gripping and thought-provoking book about how one careless mistake changed the lives of a family forever. ( )
  HeatherLINC | Jan 23, 2016 |
The plot in Laura Moriarty books has much to be desired. Very little actually happens. I consider her books to be more of a character study. The main character's thoughts are so intriguing to me that I'm caught up in what she's going to think next. Even though I can never identify with any of her characters, I feel like I know them. As with her other books, I could not put this one down. It is interesting how people either love or hate this author. ( )
  valorrmac | Aug 19, 2015 |
Despite the cover, which on my copy carried a glowing endorsement from Jodi Picoult and a romantic image of a wistful teenager, this is actually a very good book, in my opinion. I'm sure the reason it doesn't get a higher rating from most LibraryThing readers is that they'd rather read Jodi Picoult's rather more commercial work with a happier ending. But Laura Moriarty has actually given us what appears to be a somewhat more realistic view of the consequences of a tragic accident. People don't live happily ever after. Some people do live on but with permanent damage. No one feels that justice has been done and people who are involved do not become reconciled by some miracle of god or human kindness. Families that seemed to be functioning OK before the trauma now have their hidden problems brought out into the open. Friendships are stretched, almost to the limit. ( )
1 vote oldblack | Feb 9, 2015 |

"Leigh is the mother of high-achieving, popular high school senior Kara. Their relationship is already strained for reasons Leigh does not fully understand when, in a moment of carelessness, Kara makes a mistake that ends in tragedy - the effects of which not only divide Leigh's family, but polarize the entire community. We see the story from Leigh's perspective, as she grapples with the hard reality of what her daughter has done and the devastating consequences her actions have on the family of another teenage girl in town; all while struggling to protect Kara in the face of rising public outcry."--BOOK JACKET.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,190,548 books! | Top bar: Always visible