The Rest of Her Life by Laura Moriarty

The Rest of Her Life

by Laura Moriarty

Despite the cover, which on my copy carried a glowing endorsement from Jodi Picoult and a romantic image of a wistful teenager, this is actually a very good book, in my opinion. I'm sure the reason it doesn't get a higher rating from most LibraryThing readers is that they'd rather read Jodi Picoult's rather more commercial work with a happier ending. But Laura Moriarty has actually given us what appears to be a somewhat more realistic view of the consequences of a tragic accident. People don't live happily ever after. Some people do live on but with permanent damage. No one feels that justice has been done and people who are involved do not become reconciled by some miracle of god or human kindness. Families that seemed to be functioning OK before the trauma now have their hidden problems brought out into the open. Friendships are stretched, almost to the limit. ( )
1 vote oldblack | Feb 9, 2015 |
Leigh Churchill is the mother of two lovely children - eighteen-year-old Kara - a high-achieving, popular high school senior, destined to go on to college; and Justin - a shy, awkward fourteen-year-old. While she has a wonderful relationship with Justin, for some reason that she can't identify, Leigh's relationship with Kara is strained and difficult. For the life of her, she can't understand what she may have done - or didn't do - that caused such coolness between herself and her daughter.

Then, in a single moment of careless distraction, Kara makes a mistake that ends in tragedy - something that no matter how much she may want to, she can't change or take back. Kara's actions not only divide Leigh's family, but polarize the entire community. We see the story from Leigh's perspective: as she watches her daughter struggling with the feelings of guilt and grief caused by what she has done; as Leigh herself grapples with the harsh reality of what happened and the devastating consequences which Kara's actions have on the family of another teenage girl in town; all while trying to shield and protect Kara in the face of rising public outcry.

The Rest of Her Life: A Novel by Laura Moriarty delivers a luminous, compassionate, and provocative look at how even mothers and daughters with the best intentions can be blind to the harm they do to one another. Ms. Moriarty's novel is one of complex moral dilemma, filled with nuanced characters and a page-turning plot that makes readers ask themselves, "What would I do if I were in a similar situation?"

For myself, I absolutely loved this book. The story was filled with complex characters and intricate family dynamics, just the sort of story that I enjoy reading. I found Ms. Moriarty's writing and plot development to be spot on; very believable and with a strong basis in reality. I give The Rest of Her Life: A Novel by Laura Moriarty an A+! I will certainly be on the look out for more of Laura Moriarty's books to read in the future. ( )
  moonshineandrosefire | Dec 22, 2014 |
The rest of her life is the story of a girl who accidentally kills another girl in her town due to reckless driving. The story is told from her mothers point of view. Their relationship is failing and her mother is trying desperately to fix it. It tells of her mothers past and how she was trying to improve their life.
This was hard for me to read however because a person close to me had this happen to a person in their family. This book was very good but it got to hard for me to read. I would like to read it again when I'm older though. The accident happened pretty recently so it's still hard for the family. It was very well written and it explained the court that they were having to go through. I really liked how they explained it because that can be confusing. I really like how the author writes and her style of writing. I would definitely recommend this book to more kids so they know about what happens when they don't pay attention while driving. ( )
  br14raro | Dec 18, 2013 |
I like to browse the ‘sale’ shelf at my local library when I go. Most books are only 50 cents. So when I saw The Rest of Her Life by Laura Moriarty, it was an easy decision to grab it. As always, the first thing that caught my eye was the cover, but the blurb, which compared this novel to a Jodi Picoult novel, also sounded interesting. I have to say, while I did enjoy this book, I would not compare it to Jodi Picoult.

This is the story of a family in the aftermath of tragedy. On the eve of her graduation, just as she is about to begin her life, Kara, a bright, talented young woman, is involved in an accident that takes the life of another student. Some readers have mentioned they felt mislead, because the book doesn’t really center on the feelings of the daughter, but instead of her mother, Leigh. This really didn’t bother me.

This was a quick interesting read, which I enjoyed right until the end. The problem I had with the book was the end, or rather, the lack of an end. There really was no resolution of the storyline at the end of the book. One example is the character of Justin, the younger brother of Kara. He is an intelligent, sensitive young man, and the author implies he is.....what? I’m not sure. Maybe he is gay, maybe he is on the autism spectrum, maybe he has social anxiety. That is a bit of story that is started but not developed. I’m not really even sure why this story was started, unless maybe to show us that her husband had as much trouble relating to his child as Leigh did.

The other thing is the storyline with Kara. Very early, of course, we learn she has had an accident with her SUV that kills another girl. She is devasted with feeling of guilt and feels like she deserves to be punished. We learn this very early. Even at the end, we only know Kara is carrying a great deal of guilt. We don’t know if will ever forgive herself, if she will ever return to school. I really don’t feel like know much more after 300 pages than I did after 50 page!

I almost felt like the author had a page limit and reached it, so had to wrap up the story quickly. Or perhaps she wasn’t sure what happened to the characters, so she left it for the reader to figure out. Either way, the ending was unsatisfactory. I felt the author owed us at least an epilogue skipping forward into the future to give us an idea of what happened with the characters. I did enjoy the book, but the lack of resolution lessened that enjoyment. ( )
  Time2Read2 | Jul 15, 2013 |
Erin Quinty
January 24, 2013
Bunny foo foos
Final Draft
Brutal
In the book Brutal, written by Michael Harmon was a book based on a story of a teenager that has been forced to go back and forth between her parents houses, and that hard time going through that awkward teen stage. Sixteen year old Poe is living with her annoying, know it all mother, who thinks she’s the queen of the world. But living in L.A. with her top end apartment and all of that “girly” stuff everywhere from the living room to her moms closet, Poe does really seem to fit in with her dark, punk cloths. Their life styles are very different from a girly, goody to shoes, to a punk, rock band personalities, the mother daughter relationship never really work out for them. Their relationship is mostly bickering and disagreeing on everything they would talk about. Now as Poe’s mom once again taking another trip for work, this time Poe is forced to go to her father’s house due to her being gone for a year. As usual Poe will try to talk her mother out of it, for this journy for Poe will be very frightening because she has never, in her 16 years of life has never meet her father. What will Poe come to find about her father? Will thet get along? What will the school be like? And how will she ever meet any one as a punk, rock bad girl in a preppy small town of Benders Hallow?
Brutal written by Michael Harmon, was a horrible book about a 16 year old girl named Poe that is at a tough time in her life. The author never really pulled you in the begging of the book. He used words that did not paint any pictures in my head, never wanting me to keep reading. This was a typical book about a rough time a teen’s life. But for the readers who do like to read books about bad relationships with their parents, going to new schools, meeting new friends, or trying to fit in this would be a good book for you. I would give this book 2 ½ stars.
  br13erqu | Mar 11, 2013 |

"Leigh is the mother of high-achieving, popular high school senior Kara. Their relationship is already strained for reasons Leigh does not fully understand when, in a moment of carelessness, Kara makes a mistake that ends in tragedy - the effects of which not only divide Leigh's family, but polarize the entire community. We see the story from Leigh's perspective, as she grapples with the hard reality of what her daughter has done and the devastating consequences her actions have on the family of another teenage girl in town; all while struggling to protect Kara in the face of rising public outcry."--BOOK JACKET.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 98,422,948 books! | Top bar: Always visible