The Mindful Way through Depression: Freeing…

The Mindful Way through Depression: Freeing Yourself From Chronic… (2007)

by Mark Williams, Jon Kabat-Zinn, Zindel Segal, John Teasdale

I started reading this and it was very hard. An emotional read for someone struggling with the issues he is discussing. I put it aside as I finished graduate school but need to pick it up again. The writing style and information is conveyed in such a warm and loving way. It feels like this book can be very helpful in the healing process.
  andrearules | May 13, 2013 |
First let me state that I believe the most effective treatment for my loved one is medication coupled with group and individual therapy, with that disclaimer out of the way I chose this book to read because I also believe in mindfulness. No doubt there are those who will use the techniques outlined in the book sans medication and therapy, however for my loved one that is not an option, but The Mindful Way Through Depression offers my loved one yet another tool toward healing and not suffering from a relapse. If you are reading this review then you know someone with a mood disorder and probably know that each person responds to different forms of treatment. I am not advocating one form of treatment over another, and with that stated, I would recommend this book to those who want a more holistic approach to depression. ( )
  knittingmomof3 | Jan 11, 2013 |
Simply life changing.
  Araxi | Oct 5, 2010 |
I purchased this book, based on references to John Teasdale's work given in Jeffrey M. Schwartz's book, "The Mind and the Brain: Neuroplasticity and the Power of Mental Force". Without having seen this book, I primed myself to think that it might not only give instruction on "The Mindful Way",but that it might also delve more deeply into Teasdale's research that Dr. Schwartz had mentioned.

Instead (and with the slightest bit more of research I should have realized this), this book describes more about how to achieve mindfulness. There is little to no neuroscience described. That is NOT a fault of this book, but a fault of my own wishes.

As far as a description of how to practice mindfulness, this book does an admirable job, but not in any way that is too much different from many other excellent sources (including some by one of the co-authors, Jon Kabat-Zinn), hence, I give it only 3 stars.

For someone that is just encountering mindfulness for the first time, I think it might be an excellent introduction and might rate higher. For such an individual, I DO recommend this book! ( )
  motjebben | Jun 16, 2010 |
This book isn't exactly a quick read, but it does a great job of explaining the way in which negative thinking patterns make (and keep) people depressed, and how to overcome them. Do you ever find yourself feeling bad about feeling bad? This book explains that such an approach just creates more suffering, and it's better to accept the first bad feeling without piling more bad feelings on top of it.

For the record, I do believe in medication and therapy (and use both), but I also find mindfulness invaluable. I don't think the two fields are incompatible. There's a limit to what you can learn about mindfulness from a book--I recommend seeing if your local mindfulness center has a beginner course available--but if you're going to, this book is a good place to start.

The "eight-week program" the book mentions isn't outlined until the very last chapter, so if you're just looking to jump into the practical side of mindfulness, skip to that chapter. It tells you which chapters in the book are related to each week of the program, so you can go back and read those at the appropriate times.

Study after study has shown that people who meditate regularly are healthier than those who don't, on both a physical and mental level. Don't discount it. ( )
2 vote notemily | Jan 30, 2010 |

Mark Williamsprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Kabat-Zinn, Jonmain authorall editionsconfirmed
Segal, Zindelmain authorall editionsconfirmed
Teasdale, Johnmain authorall editionsconfirmed
Rintamäki, RaijaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Depression hurts.
Self help book on depression using Mindfulness-based Cognitive Behavioural Therapy techniques.

"In Mindful Way through Depression, four experts explain why our usual attempts to "think" our way out of a bad mood or just "snap out of it" lead us deeper into the downward spiral. With insightful lessons drawn from both Eastern meditative traditions and cognitive therapy, they demonstrate how to sidestep the mental habits that lead to despair, including rumination and self-blame, so you can face life's challenges with greater resilience."--BOOK JACKET.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,288,809 books! | Top bar: Always visible