The Mindful Way through Depression: Freeing…

The Mindful Way through Depression: Freeing Yourself From Chronic… (2007)

by williamsjmarkg, Jon Kabat-Zinn, Zindel Segal, John Teasdale

I listened to this on audiobook, and I quite enjoyed it. The MBCT program it introduces is very similar to the MBSR program as outlined in Jon Kabat-Zinn's Full Catastrophe Living but with a few additions that make it specifically helpful to those who suffer from chronic or recurrent bouts of depression. These include the Three-Minute Breathing Space, the Body Door, the Thought Door, intended to help rewire our immediate reactions to unpleasant situations. I particularly like the focus on noticing bodily sensations and thoughts as symptoms rather than as part of who we.

I would listen to this book in the car on the way to and from the grocery store or in the kitchen while making supper and feel calm and relaxed and ready to cope with anything when I got home. And then I got home and the kids would be arguing or my spouse would wonder aloud why I spent $10 on mushrooms (it's because they were on sale and I bought a bunch of them) and I would totally lose my calm. But it was nice while it lasted.

The only thing I don't like about this book is that, like the MBSR program which I've done and found very helpful, it requires a pretty significant investment of time. Sure, it's worth it, but that doesn't make the time any easier to find or make it so I'm any less likely to fall asleep while trying to meditate. ( )
  ImperfectCJ | Jan 25, 2015 |
I started reading this and it was very hard. An emotional read for someone struggling with the issues he is discussing. I put it aside as I finished graduate school but need to pick it up again. The writing style and information is conveyed in such a warm and loving way. It feels like this book can be very helpful in the healing process.
  andrearules | May 13, 2013 |
First let me state that I believe the most effective treatment for my loved one is medication coupled with group and individual therapy, with that disclaimer out of the way I chose this book to read because I also believe in mindfulness. No doubt there are those who will use the techniques outlined in the book sans medication and therapy, however for my loved one that is not an option, but The Mindful Way Through Depression offers my loved one yet another tool toward healing and not suffering from a relapse. If you are reading this review then you know someone with a mood disorder and probably know that each person responds to different forms of treatment. I am not advocating one form of treatment over another, and with that stated, I would recommend this book to those who want a more holistic approach to depression. ( )
  knittingmomof3 | Jan 11, 2013 |
Simply life changing.
  Araxi | Oct 5, 2010 |
I purchased this book, based on references to John Teasdale's work given in Jeffrey M. Schwartz's book, "The Mind and the Brain: Neuroplasticity and the Power of Mental Force". Without having seen this book, I primed myself to think that it might not only give instruction on "The Mindful Way",but that it might also delve more deeply into Teasdale's research that Dr. Schwartz had mentioned.

Instead (and with the slightest bit more of research I should have realized this), this book describes more about how to achieve mindfulness. There is little to no neuroscience described. That is NOT a fault of this book, but a fault of my own wishes.

As far as a description of how to practice mindfulness, this book does an admirable job, but not in any way that is too much different from many other excellent sources (including some by one of the co-authors, Jon Kabat-Zinn), hence, I give it only 3 stars.

For someone that is just encountering mindfulness for the first time, I think it might be an excellent introduction and might rate higher. For such an individual, I DO recommend this book! ( )
  motjebben | Jun 16, 2010 |

williamsjmarkgprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Kabat-Zinn, Jonmain authorall editionsconfirmed
Segal, Zindelmain authorall editionsconfirmed
Teasdale, Johnmain authorall editionsconfirmed
Rintamäki, RaijaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Depression hurts.
Self help book on depression using Mindfulness-based Cognitive Behavioural Therapy techniques.

"In Mindful Way through Depression, four experts explain why our usual attempts to "think" our way out of a bad mood or just "snap out of it" lead us deeper into the downward spiral. With insightful lessons drawn from both Eastern meditative traditions and cognitive therapy, they demonstrate how to sidestep the mental habits that lead to despair, including rumination and self-blame, so you can face life's challenges with greater resilience."--BOOK JACKET.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 96,167,644 books! | Top bar: Always visible