No title (2007)

No Talking by Andrew Clements (2007)

Recently added byAltSchoolNYC, KimSalyers, private library, KA_Books, dberry6, KevinShin, kmaran, rparks, lasmith7
    The Strange Case of Origami Yoda by Tom Angleberger (cf66)
    cf66: Ragazzi che cercano soluzioni con originalità a problemi quotidiani

In my opinion this is a great book. One of the main things I liked about this book is that even though it was a chapter book, there were still a few pages with just pictures. Being able to look at the pictures helped me to relate to the characters because I could picture them in my head when I was reading about them. I also liked the plot of the story. It was very entertaining to read because I could picture the events happening in real life which made it easier to relate to. The main message in this story is that if at first you don't get along, try again because you could surprise yourself. Another main message is that students learn from teachers but that teachers can learn from students as well. ( )
  dberry6 | Oct 11, 2016 |
Dave wants to be like Gandhi and be silent to see if it'll really clear his mind as it did to Gandhi, But he mistakenly battles the 5th grade girls to a contest with no talking. Ground rules are made and the competition is in full effect. In the midst teachers start to notice and where some don’t seem to be bothered by it others are. Later down the line, they are trying to make it where neither team loses or win. The boys and girls showed an recognizable amount of change during the book. They no longer cared about the competition because they like each other. I think students should be more quiet as they did in the book but rather at the correct time. I liked the maturity they gained throughout the whole book. It went to boys and girls arguing to them basically giving up the comp. I didn’t too much like the book, but it was really decent and taught a great lesson. ( )
  lasmith7 | Sep 17, 2016 |
No Talking covers an entire 5th grade's boy vs. girl contest on the ability to keep quiet for 48 hours. Dave and Lynsey set up the contest after one is inspired by history. Teachers soon catch on and are torn between allowing the hi-jinx to continue or end them. Clements writes the story in a way that the narrator is both omniscient as well as limited, as well as exposing the challenges that comes with limited communication. We have to be mindful with our words, respectful of our children, understanding that speech is not always necessary. I loved this book, the changing point of views made it interesting and different, the premise is incredibly realistic and relateable. ( )
  rparks | Sep 15, 2016 |
This book is about a no talking contest between the boys and the girls in the class. Each team had a captain who could only say a certain amount of words for their team. Some of the teachers do not agree with it and some teachers love the idea. At the end they made it even and they had fun doing it even though they had a lot of conflict. This book is good to teach children to work through their problems and be fair to each other. ( )
  knbenson6584 | Sep 15, 2016 |
No Talking is about a little boy named, Dave, who challenges the girls in his fifth grade class to a competition of not talking.
Dave read about Gandhi's practice of maintaining silence to "bring his mind to order" and thought that he could do the same. Soon enough, Dave and Lynsey spread the word to their other fifth grade friends and everyone in their class begins to do it. If the teacher asked a question or made a comment the children would either smile and nod or not exceed three words in a sentence.This book is very funny and witty. What really drew me into this book was the narration. It felt like someone was giving me a tour of this funny little guy, Dave. I recommend this book for students to read because it is entertaining, teaches a great lesson, and shows that kids can have self-discipline. ( )
  Neshia.Rowe | Sep 15, 2016 |

From the dust jacket: "The fifth-grade girls and the fifth-grade boys at Laketon Elementary don't get along very well. But the real problem is that these kids are loud and disorderly. That's why the principal uses her red plastic bullhorn. A lot.
Then one day Dave Packer, a certified loudmouth bumps into an idea - a big one that makes him try to keep quiet for a whole day. But what does Dave hear during lunch? A girl, Lynsey Burgess, jabbering away. So Dave breaks his silence and lobs an insult. And those words spark a contest: Which team can say the fewest words during two whole days? And it's the boys against the girls.

How do teachers react to the silence? What Happens when the principal feels she's losing control? And will Dave and Lynsey plunge the whole school into chaos?

This funny and surprising book is about language and thought, about words unspoken, words spoken in anger, and especially about the power of words spoken in kindness... with or without a bullhorn."

The noisy fifth grade boys of Laketon Elementary School challenge the equally loud fifth grade girls to a "no talking" contest.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,741,610 books! | Top bar: Always visible