No Talking by Andrew Clements

No Talking (original 2007; edition 2009)

by Andrew Clements

Member:rookbeader
Title:No Talking
Authors:Andrew Clements
Info:Atheneum Books for Young Readers (2009), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 160 pages
Collections:Gra Kinder, Lu 2nd Form, Aloud, Read but unowned, Children's, Lurad, Grazem
Rating:*****
Tags:Audio

No Talking by Andrew Clements (2007)

The Strange Case of Origami Yoda by Tom Angleberger (cf66)
    cf66: Ragazzi che cercano soluzioni con originalità a problemi quotidiani

This was *so* funny! Clements is kinda the Spinelli for the younger set, imo. It had insight, poignancy, that kind of thing - but mostly I just couldn't stop laughing. ( )
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Jun 6, 2016 |
When Dave, one of the noisiest boys in the fifth grade at Laketon Elementary decides that he is going to take after Gandhi and be quite, people notice. This internal decision is put into action when a dare between the boys and girls arises. Team captains Dave and Lynsey are the two in charge and making all rules, such as only speaking to an adult and only being allotted three words per sentence. Anything else would result in points against the opposing team. The halls of school are now quite from the fifth graders who are normally "un-hushable." Through the story they make mistakes but find ways to complete this task and keep quite. Many others notice the change in these students and are eager to find out, in particular the teachers.
I did not care for the writing of this book, the style made me lose focus a few times. Although I did not care for this book, I think that students would because I feel that they would be able to connect more with the book and really enjoy it. The writing style was being affected when the speaker or point of view changed. I did think that the book overall was cute but it was not one of my favorite books I have read thus far. ( )
  mlanford3 | Feb 19, 2016 |
Fifth grader Dave of Laketon Elementary School decides a daring contest between boys and girls. Lynsey is the leader for the girls and both Dave and Lynsey are in heat of the contest of who can be silence the most. As the story progresses, it gets more intensified when boys and girls fulfilled their no talking rules to each other. Even teachers were involve in the contest when their react to their students to the situation. Written in third person perspective point of view, the reader can several several characters' thoughts and feelings. With plot, the author does a good job constructing plot in a suspenseful way in which the reader wonders what will happen to the fifth graders as the reader reads on more and more. One of the theme in this book is the importance of conducting yourself in a polite manner as well as being obedient of your elders when told to do so. Overall, this book is entertaining and yet quirky. ( )
  jhcao20 | Feb 17, 2016 |
No Talking, is a great book about students learning what it means to be silent and take in knowledge before they speak. The point of view is confusing to me, because the narrator is never identified. I like how the reader knows the thoughts and actions of all the characters. Taking in what others say and thinking before you speak is a great lesson to be learned. This theme is very prevalent throughout the book. This theme is connected to the plot by getting all the characters involved and thinking about silence and not talking. ( )
  Theresa_Kieffer | Feb 14, 2016 |
No Talking an entertaining and thought provoking book by Andrew Clements. The story focuses on a notoriously loud and chatty group of fifth graders, led by Dave Packer and Lynsey Burgess. The students' typical boy vs. girl mentality is intensified when an argument between Dave and Lynsey leads to a No Talking contest between the fifth grade boys and girls. The manner in which the students go about fulfilling the no talking rule and the unexpected reactions they receive from their teachers and principal is what truly makes this book entertaining. The point of view is from a thirds person’s perspective. I think that this effects the way the book is because if it was written from the teacher’s point of view, we would be looking at the situation from their point of view. This book has the ability to teach students conduct of manner and I am sure teachers will love it because I sure did! ( )
  Diana_94 | Feb 14, 2016 |

From the dust jacket: "The fifth-grade girls and the fifth-grade boys at Laketon Elementary don't get along very well. But the real problem is that these kids are loud and disorderly. That's why the principal uses her red plastic bullhorn. A lot.
Then one day Dave Packer, a certified loudmouth bumps into an idea - a big one that makes him try to keep quiet for a whole day. But what does Dave hear during lunch? A girl, Lynsey Burgess, jabbering away. So Dave breaks his silence and lobs an insult. And those words spark a contest: Which team can say the fewest words during two whole days? And it's the boys against the girls.

How do teachers react to the silence? What Happens when the principal feels she's losing control? And will Dave and Lynsey plunge the whole school into chaos?

This funny and surprising book is about language and thought, about words unspoken, words spoken in anger, and especially about the power of words spoken in kindness... with or without a bullhorn."

The noisy fifth grade boys of Laketon Elementary School challenge the equally loud fifth grade girls to a "no talking" contest.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 106,793,580 books! | Top bar: Always visible