The Trial of Socrates by I. F. Stone

The Trial of Socrates (original 1988; edition 1988)

by I. F. Stone, Pearl Lau (Cover designer)

Member:JeffersonBallard
Title:The Trial of Socrates
Authors:I. F. Stone
Other authors:Pearl Lau (Cover designer)
Info:Boston: Little, Brown and Company
Tags:History

The Trial of Socrates by I. F. Stone (1988)

English (6)  Dutch (2)  Swedish (1)  All languages (9)
Socrates for Dummies.

This is typical of the kind of Anglo-Saxon popular history on classical Athens (see Peter Green, Tom Holland, John Hale, et al.) that takes at face value the Greeks’ political-mythologizing, makes a fetish of “freedom” and “democracy,” and fails utterly to grasp the fundamentals of Greek philosophy. For Stone, democracy is good → Socrates had a “vendetta against democracy” → Socrates was bad. For aficionados of the simplistic and superficial only. ( )
  HectorSwell | Mar 3, 2014 |
Interesting book which shows the real reason why Socrates was executed, because of his political beliefs against democracy. The key point of the book is the chapter that describes Socrates interview with the dictators. He could have chosen to say an offense to the dictators, but he did not. On the other hand he decided to offend the democratic jury forcing the democracy to kill him, proving that democracies are not much different from dictatorships (which we can see nowadays in Guantánamo) and becoming a martyr. ( )
  caju | Apr 16, 2007 |
After reading this book, I've decided if Socrates were alive today, we'd execute him, too. Not for his anti-democratic views, but because of the nonsense "philosophy" he taught. He was obnoxious.

Socrates is one of those people I've heard referred to many times, but never actually knew what his beliefs were or what he taught. I had no idea he was an ardent supporter of dictatorships.

Stone is an excellent writer, he kept me interested every step of the way. ( )
  ArmyAngel1986 | Apr 3, 2007 |
Freedom of speech and philosophy, a potent combination.
  Fledgist | Feb 13, 2006 |
Stone makes an interesting point: Socrates committed a type of ritual suicide. He would have been let off, but he purposely insulted the jury. He could of escaped imprisionment and went into an honorable exile. He chose not to. Remember almost all we know of Socrates is filtered through Plato who had his own motives for Socrates' memory. Compelling read. ( )
  Smiley | Jan 8, 2006 |
To my wife, Esther
without whom this, and so much else of me, would not have been possible
This is really a fragment of what was originally meant to be a larger, a much larger, work.

In unraveling the long-hidden issues of the most famous free speech case of all time, noted author I.F. Stone ranges far and wide over Roman as well as Greek history to present an engaging and rewarding introduction to classical antiquity and its relevance to society today. The New York Times called this national best-seller an "intellectual thriller."

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:45:50 -0400)

Combines classical scholarship with techniques of modern investigative journalism in an attempt to unravel the mystery behind the trial and conviction of Athens' most prominent philosopher.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,658,806 books! | Top bar: Always visible