La Inmortalidad by Milan Kundera

La Inmortalidad (original 1990; edition 2002)

by Milan Kundera

Member:BibMurchante
Title:La Inmortalidad
Authors:Milan Kundera
Info:Tusquets Editor (2002), P
Collections:Narrativa y literatura, Favorites
Rating:***
Tags:narrativa, novelas, favoritos

Immortality by Milan Kundera (1990)

English (25)  Hebrew (2)  French (1)  Russian (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (30)
I absolutely loved this book - thoroughly recommend it... its depiction of how we construct ourselves and immortalise ourselves is outstanding. Emotional and honest. ( )
  nigeljaycooper | May 11, 2016 |
Milan Kundera's sixth novel springs from a casual gesture of a woman to her swimming instructor, a gesture that creates a character in the mind of a writer named Kundera. Like Flaubert's Emma or Tolstoy's Anna, Kundera's Agnes becomes an object of fascination, of indefinable longing. From that character springs a novel, a gesture of the imagination that both embodies and articulates Milan Kundera's supreme mastery of the novel and its purpose; to explore thoroughly the great, themes of existence.
  bostonwendym | Mar 3, 2016 |
The author is sitting by the pool of his health club when he sees a woman make a gesture that brings on a flood of speculations about her life. Mixed in with these fantasies are anecdotes that may or may not be true about the lives of Goethe, Hemingway, Rimbaud, Rubens, Beethoven, and other famous artists. Along the way, Kundera attempts to deconstruct the novel as an art form.

This book really requires a lot of concentration and thought, and I just didn’t have it in me to put the necessary amount of work into reading it. I appreciate what Kundera was trying to do with deconstructing the novel, but I didn’t enjoy it. I also disagree with a lot of what his characters said about the nature of life and humanity, so it was difficult to empathize with them. ( )
  AmandaL. | Jan 16, 2016 |
A novel of ideas like Musil's Man Without Qualities. The immortality sought stems from a gesture seen by the novelist-god as he looked on an older woman waving to a young lifeguard at a swimming pool -- like the screenplay for "A Separation" came to the writer as he watched a man button his old dad's tunic for him. A real cast of characters with heartbreaks and breakthroughs. Bittersweet to my tastebuds. ( )
  ted_newell | Jun 20, 2015 |
I remember reading this as a student and being really blown away by it. Re-reading it now I was surprised how little I remembered, and felt it was a bit shallow in the end but probably got some different things out of it. Not knowing much about Goethe I found those sections about Bettina interesting, how she positioned herself next to the prominent men of the era and gained some immortality by association, she sounds like quite a character. I also quite like way Kundera puts himself in the novel and how it feels like reality is intruding into invention. It's a mixed bag, a patchy book, and a little dated, but still worth reading. ( )
  AlisonSakai | Apr 8, 2015 |

Milan Kunderaprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Beranová, JanaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Valenzuela, Fernando deTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Zgustová, MonikaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
The woman might have been sixty or sixty-five.
"Journalists realized that posing questions was not merely a practical working method for the reporter modestly gathering information with notebook and pencil in hand; it was a means of exerting power. The journalist is not merely the one who asks questions but the one who has a sacred right to ask anyone about anything."
Original title: Nesmrtelnost

Milan Kundera's sixth novel springs from a casual gesture of a woman to her swimming instructor, a gesture that creates a character in the mind of a writer named Kundera. Like Flaubert's Emma or Tolstoy's Anna, Kundera's Agnès becomes an object of fascination, of indefinable longing. From that character springs a novel, a gesture of the imagination that both embodies and articulates Milan Kundera's supreme mastery of the novel and its purpose: to explore thoroughly the great themes of existence.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:15:26 -0400)

Steven is a charming lethal master of seduction with whom passion is a game of life and death.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,816,568 books! | Top bar: Always visible