La Inmortalidad by Milan Kundera

La Inmortalidad (original 1990; edition 2002)

by Milan Kundera

Member:BibMurchante
Title:La Inmortalidad
Authors:Milan Kundera
Info:Tusquets Editor (2002), P
Collections:Narrativa y literatura, Favorites
Rating:***
Tags:narrativa, novelas, favoritos

Immortality by Milan Kundera (1990)

English (22)  Hebrew (2)  French (1)  Russian (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (27)
A novel of ideas like Musil's Man Without Qualities. The immortality sought stems from a gesture seen by the novelist-god as he looked on an older woman waving to a young lifeguard at a swimming pool -- like the screenplay for "A Separation" came to the writer as he watched a man button his old dad's tunic for him. A real cast of characters with heartbreaks and breakthroughs. Bittersweet to my tastebuds. ( )
  ted_newell | Jun 20, 2015 |
I remember reading this as a student and being really blown away by it. Re-reading it now I was surprised how little I remembered, and felt it was a bit shallow in the end but probably got some different things out of it. Not knowing much about Goethe I found those sections about Bettina interesting, how she positioned herself next to the prominent men of the era and gained some immortality by association, she sounds like quite a character. I also quite like way Kundera puts himself in the novel and how it feels like reality is intruding into invention. It's a mixed bag, a patchy book, and a little dated, but still worth reading. ( )
  AlisonSakai | Apr 8, 2015 |
Having enjoyed some of Kundera's books before and with a friend's recommendations in my ear I started on this. Great disappointment. A bitty hotchpotch of scenes with Goethe and photographers, Napoleon meeting Goethe, Goethe doing sleazy stuff with young girl, Goethe meeting Hemingway in heaven (for goodness sake!) interspersed with a bunch of parisian bourgeois of no particular interest and empty musings on the image in modern society. Life is too short for "Immortality" ( )
  vguy | Aug 15, 2014 |
This is one of those books which, while I have to admit I'm sure I don't really understand most of what it is about, I "resonate" with it intensely. I enjoy Kundera's writing style immensely. I like the way he throws many scenes and ideas at me and trusts me to think deeply about the complex relationships he's presenting, without telling me exactly what conclusions I should draw from them. For how he impacts my mind, I would "rank" him with Tolstoy and with Iris Murdock. What I like best about Kundera's books is that they make me think and with a feeling that thinking and questioning is important; I feel more alive, and I feel it is not only worthwhile being me (existing, and expressing Being in my particular way), but it is also essential to my being that I think about the story of my life and that I choose to further that "story" and contribute to it. I think this is my response particularly to Kundera's "Immortality" because one of the things he's writing "about" is the intersections of "fact" and "fiction.". The fact that he makes himself one of his characters in the novel is the main catalyst for my contemplating the story of my life in this particular way. Like I said, I don't claim to understand everything Kundera is writing "about.". If there are others out there who read this review and have read many of Kundera's books, I would enjoy reading your reflections on his writing and/or learning of any helpful study guides on Kundera, particularly regarding the themes addressed in "Immortality." ( )
  CarlisleMLH | May 29, 2014 |
It has just a little bit of plot and a smidgen of character underneath a great deal of philosophy, so it's definitely not for everyone. But I found it entertaining and surprising, even the parts where I felt completely lost in the ramblings and grotesqueries the author includes quite self-consciously. ( )
  rmagahiz | Dec 21, 2013 |

Milan Kunderaprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Beranová, JanaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Valenzuela, Fernando deTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Zgustová, MonikaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
The woman might have been sixty or sixty-five.
"Journalists realized that posing questions was not merely a practical working method for the reporter modestly gathering information with notebook and pencil in hand; it was a means of exerting power. The journalist is not merely the one who asks questions but the one who has a sacred right to ask anyone about anything."
Original title: Nesmrtelnost

Milan Kundera's sixth novel springs from a casual gesture of a woman to her swimming instructor, a gesture that creates a character in the mind of a writer named Kundera. Like Flaubert's Emma or Tolstoy's Anna, Kundera's Agnès becomes an object of fascination, of indefinable longing. From that character springs a novel, a gesture of the imagination that both embodies and articulates Milan Kundera's supreme mastery of the novel and its purpose: to explore thoroughly the great themes of existence.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:15:26 -0400)

Steven is a charming lethal master of seduction with whom passion is a game of life and death.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,122,752 books! | Top bar: Always visible