Maus II: A Survivor's Tale: And Here My…

Maus II: A Survivor's Tale: And Here My Troubles Began (1991)

by Art Spiegelman

Palestine by Joe Sacco (SqueakyChu)
    SqueakyChu: This is only for those not too raw after reading Maus and its sequel. I must warn you that Palestine does not paint a pretty picture of Jews or Israel, but Joe Sacco does an amazing job of revealing the story of a people through the use of graphic novel. He uses this genre, as does Art Spiegelman, to reveal heartfelt pain.… (more)
    Maus I: A Survivor's Tale: My Father Bleeds History by Art Spiegelman (Anonymous user)
    Open Me... I'm a Dog! by Art Spiegelman (JessamyJane)
    Persepolis: The Story of a Childhood by Marjane Satrapi (Tjarda)
    Kafka by David Zane Mairowitz (gust)
    De avonden een beeldverhaal by Dick Matena (gust)
    gust: Ook een graphic novel
    We Are On Our Own: A Memoir by Miriam Katin (JessamyJane)
    Death Is My Trade by Robert Merle (yokai)
    The Plot Against America by Philip Roth (bertilak)
    Fatelessness by Imre Kertész (SqueakyChu)

English (103)  Swedish (1)  All languages (104)
The Complete Maus🍒🍒🍒🍒🍌
By Art Speigelman
1986

This true graphic memoir tells the story of Vladek Spiegelman and his wife, Anja, and their survival through the Holocaust in Hitlers Europe.
Heartwarming and heart wrenching at the same time, Speigelman so vividly brings to life the tension, desperation and desolation of his situation, it's so personal and real. The strife he felt, humiliation and torture he endured and his resilience and pure determination to survive and maybe escape....to find his wife Anja after years of this.....was profound. And touched me deeply.
This was so good but so hard to read....this is one of the best books about the holocaust I've read and deserves to up there with 'Night' by Wiesel.
Highly recommended. I'm speechless. ( )
  over.the.edge | Sep 16, 2018 |
I am not a huge fan of graphic novels, but this was stunning! ( )
  jlydia | Jun 25, 2018 |
A continuation of the first Maus, Art Spiegelman illustrates his father's experiences of World War II and the Nazi War Machine, specifically the brutal fate of the Jews during war time. In personifying these groups, good and bad, as cats and mice, Spiegelman presents a complicated story to those of a younger age. ( )
  justagirlwithabook | Jun 2, 2018 |
This one is a lot better than the first one. We see more of Vladek and his resourcefulness. We also see Vladek and Artie's relationship more. It would be good also to see the point of view of Anja, too bad the diaries were burned. ( )
  krizia_lazaro | Apr 15, 2018 |
Excellent graphic novel! Talking to our elders isn't always easy, and this comic reflects that, but the stories of his father's time during the Nazi Era is both touching and heartbreaking and incredibly timeless. ( )
  RivetedReaderMelissa | Mar 22, 2018 |
Perhaps no Holocaust narrative will ever contain the whole experience. But Art Spiegelman has found an original and authentic form to draw us closer to its bleak heart.

By writing and drawing simply, directly and earnestly, Mr. Spiegelman is able to lend his father's journey into hell and back an immediacy and poignance... In recounting the tales of both the father and the son in "Maus" and now in "Maus II," Mr. Spiegelman has stretched the boundaries of the comic book form and in doing so has created one of the most powerful and original memoirs to come along in recent years.

Mickey Mouse is the most miserable ideal ever revealed...Healthy emotions tell every independent young man and every honorable youth that the dirty and filth-covered vermin, the greatest bacteria carrier in the animal kingdom, cannot be the ideal type of animal...Away with Jewish brutalization of the people! Down with Mickey Mouse! Wear the Swastika Cross!
--newspaper article, pomerania, Germany, mid-1930s
Thanks to Paul Pavel, Deborah Karl, and Mala Spiegelman for helping this volume into the world.
Thanks to the John Simon Guggenheim Memorial Foundation for a fellowship that allowed me to focus on completing Maus.
And my thanks, with love and admiration, to Francoise Mouly for her intelligence, integrity, editorial skills, and for her love.
For Richieu and for Nadja
Summer vacation. Francoise and I were staying with friends in Vermont...
This is the single volume edition of "Maus II: A Survivor's Tale: And Here My Troubles Began". It does NOT contain the first volume of the story, Maus I.

DO NOT COMBINE with the omnibus edition containing both Maus I: A Survivor's Tale: My Father Bleeds History and Maus II: A Survivor's Tale: And Here My Troubles Began!!!

A memoir of Vladek Spiegleman, a Jewish survivor of Hitler's Europe, and about his son, a cartoonist who tries to come to terms with his father, his story, and history. Cartoon format portrays Jews as mice, Nazis as cats. Using a unique comic-strip-as-graphic-art format, the story of Vladek Spiegelman's passage through the Nazi Holocaust is told in his own words. Acclaimed as a "quiet triumph" and a "brutally moving work of art," the first volume of Art Spiegelman's Maus introduced readers to Vladek Spiegelman, a Jewish survivor of Hitler's Europe, and his son, a cartoonist trying to come to terms with his father, his father's terrifying story, and History itself. Its form, the cartoon (the Nazis are cats, the Jews mice), succeeds perfectly in shocking us out of any lingering sense of familiarity with the events described, approaching, as it does, the unspeakable through the diminutive. As the New York Times Book Review commented," [it is] a remarkable feat of documentary detail and novelistic vividness...an unfolding literary event." This long-awaited sequel, subtitled And Here My Troubles Began, moves us from the barracks of Auschwitz to the bungalows of the Catskills. Genuinely tragic and comic by turns, it attains a complexity of theme and a precision of thought new to comics and rare in any medium. Maus ties together two powerful stories: Vladek's harrowing tale of survival against all odds, delineating the paradox of daily life in the death camps, and the author's account of his tortured relationship with his aging father. Vladek's troubled remarriage, minor arguments between father and son, and life's everyday disappointments are all set against a backdrop of history too large to pacify. At every level this is the ultimate survivor's tale -- and that too of the children who somehow survive even the survivors.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,960,202 books! | Top bar: Always visible