Check out the Pride Celebration Treasure Hunt!

Maus II: A Survivor's Tale: And Here My…

Maus II: A Survivor's Tale: And Here My Troubles Began (1991)

by Art Spiegelman

Palestine by Joe Sacco (SqueakyChu)
    SqueakyChu: This is only for those not too raw after reading Maus and its sequel. I must warn you that Palestine does not paint a pretty picture of Jews or Israel, but Joe Sacco does an amazing job of revealing the story of a people through the use of graphic novel. He uses this genre, as does Art Spiegelman, to reveal heartfelt pain.… (more)
    Persepolis: The Story of a Childhood by Marjane Satrapi (Tjarda)
    Maus I: A Survivor's Tale: My Father Bleeds History by Art Spiegelman (Anonymous user)
    Open Me... I'm a Dog! by Art Spiegelman (JessamyJane)
    Kafka by David Zane Mairowitz (gust)
    De Avonden / Een beeldverhaal 1 by Gerard Reve (gust)
    gust: Ook een graphic novel
    We Are On Our Own: A Memoir by Miriam Katin (JessamyJane)
    Death Is My Trade by Robert Merle (yokai)
    The Plot Against America by Philip Roth (bertilak)
    Fatelessness by Imre Kertész (SqueakyChu)

English (111)  Swedish (1)  All languages (112)
The second and final book in the series, this one seemed to read faster than the first one. This installment details Art's fathers time in the concentration camps and his subsequent liberation. From the description of the camps, it is amazing that anyone came out alive. The graphic format helps bring the tale to life. ( )
  readingover50 | Jun 11, 2019 |
Some light shabbos reading ( )
  miri12 | May 31, 2019 |
This is a touching graphic novel. I wish I'd read it as a younger person and I'd definitely recommend it for teenagers as it is definitely told from a younger person's POV. They have little understanding of how trauma and the breakdown of the body can have a tremendous effect on the lives of older people. Resistance to change and clinging to old ways is a wall and a defense mechanism. Without those walls, the sorrow and pain will come crashing in. The survivors of the death camps in Europe during WWII must have some powerful walls to have survived into this modern age and we should respect that. The main character's father has built his walls, but still allows his son to take a peek now and then. Those tiny peeks are Maus. The story is solid and the drawings are creative and clear. ( )
  authenticjoy | Mar 29, 2019 |
This is a true story of Vladek Spiegelman and his wife, Anja. It is a graphic memoir about their survival of the Holocaust where the characters are portrayed as mice. This graphic novel was heartbreaking as it so vividly brings his experience to life. He was tortured, humiliated, and yet remained strong and resilient through it all. I liked how this was a personal account of the Holocaust that wasn't too graphic so it can be appropriate for older children. ( )
  gharot1 | Mar 10, 2019 |
This shouldn't have worked for me, yet it did. The images haunted, the details beyond the panels even more. Is this place to begin a discussion - that's so daft, we need to remain solemn and to shrug - at every opportunity. ( )
  jonfaith | Feb 22, 2019 |
Perhaps no Holocaust narrative will ever contain the whole experience. But Art Spiegelman has found an original and authentic form to draw us closer to its bleak heart.

By writing and drawing simply, directly and earnestly, Mr. Spiegelman is able to lend his father's journey into hell and back an immediacy and poignance... In recounting the tales of both the father and the son in "Maus" and now in "Maus II," Mr. Spiegelman has stretched the boundaries of the comic book form and in doing so has created one of the most powerful and original memoirs to come along in recent years.

Mickey Mouse is the most miserable ideal ever revealed...Healthy emotions tell every independent young man and every honorable youth that the dirty and filth-covered vermin, the greatest bacteria carrier in the animal kingdom, cannot be the ideal type of animal...Away with Jewish brutalization of the people! Down with Mickey Mouse! Wear the Swastika Cross!
--newspaper article, pomerania, Germany, mid-1930s
Thanks to Paul Pavel, Deborah Karl, and Mala Spiegelman for helping this volume into the world.
Thanks to the John Simon Guggenheim Memorial Foundation for a fellowship that allowed me to focus on completing Maus.
And my thanks, with love and admiration, to Francoise Mouly for her intelligence, integrity, editorial skills, and for her love.
For Richieu and for Nadja
Summer vacation. Francoise and I were staying with friends in Vermont...
This is the single volume edition of "Maus II: A Survivor's Tale: And Here My Troubles Began". It does NOT contain the first volume of the story, Maus I.

DO NOT COMBINE with the omnibus edition containing both Maus I: A Survivor's Tale: My Father Bleeds History and Maus II: A Survivor's Tale: And Here My Troubles Began!!!

A memoir of Vladek Spiegleman, a Jewish survivor of Hitler's Europe, and about his son, a cartoonist who tries to come to terms with his father, his story, and history. Cartoon format portrays Jews as mice, Nazis as cats. Using a unique comic-strip-as-graphic-art format, the story of Vladek Spiegelman's passage through the Nazi Holocaust is told in his own words. Acclaimed as a "quiet triumph" and a "brutally moving work of art," the first volume of Art Spiegelman's Maus introduced readers to Vladek Spiegelman, a Jewish survivor of Hitler's Europe, and his son, a cartoonist trying to come to terms with his father, his father's terrifying story, and History itself. Its form, the cartoon (the Nazis are cats, the Jews mice), succeeds perfectly in shocking us out of any lingering sense of familiarity with the events described, approaching, as it does, the unspeakable through the diminutive. As the New York Times Book Review commented," [it is] a remarkable feat of documentary detail and novelistic vividness...an unfolding literary event." This long-awaited sequel, subtitled And Here My Troubles Began, moves us from the barracks of Auschwitz to the bungalows of the Catskills. Genuinely tragic and comic by turns, it attains a complexity of theme and a precision of thought new to comics and rare in any medium. Maus ties together two powerful stories: Vladek's harrowing tale of survival against all odds, delineating the paradox of daily life in the death camps, and the author's account of his tortured relationship with his aging father. Vladek's troubled remarriage, minor arguments between father and son, and life's everyday disappointments are all set against a backdrop of history too large to pacify. At every level this is the ultimate survivor's tale -- and that too of the children who somehow survive even the survivors.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,462,884 books! | Top bar: Always visible