Maus II : And Here My Troubles Began by Art…

Maus II : And Here My Troubles Began (original 1991; edition 1991)

by Art Spiegelman

4,97192919 (4.49)298
Member:gcoupe
Title:Maus II : And Here My Troubles Began
Authors:Art Spiegelman
Info:Pantheon (1991), Edition: Graphic No, Hardcover
Tags:biography, art

Maus II: A Survivor's Tale: And Here My Troubles Began by Art Spiegelman (Author) (1991)

Palestine by Joe Sacco (SqueakyChu)
    SqueakyChu: This is only for those not too raw after reading Maus and its sequel. I must warn you that Palestine does not paint a pretty picture of Jews or Israel, but Joe Sacco does an amazing job of revealing the story of a people through the use of graphic novel. He uses this genre, as does Art Spiegelman, to reveal heartfelt pain.… (more)
    Maus : a survivor's tale I by Art Spiegelman (Anonymous user)
    Open Me...I'm a Dog by Art Spiegelman (JessamyJane)
    Persepolis: The Story of a Childhood by Marjane Satrapi (Tjarda)
    Kafka by David Zane Mairowitz (gust)
    De Avonden / Een beeldverhaal 1 by Gerard Reve (gust)
    gust: Ook een graphic novel
    We Are On Our Own: A Memoir by Miriam Katin (JessamyJane)
    Death Is My Trade by Robert Merle (yokai)
    The Plot Against America by Philip Roth (bertilak)
    Fatelessness by Imre Kertész (SqueakyChu)

English (91)  Swedish (1)  All languages (92)
I actually like II more than I--not that it's better per se, I just appreciated all of himself and his wife that the author put into this book.

Is this really YA? That is where my library shelves it, but these are really quite amazing books for anyone. The comic form and the black and white only make it very powerful--and the authors drawings are amazing. I also liked that the author included his own questioning of this project in the book. I can only imagine how difficult the questioning and listening to his father was, as well as how difficult it must have been for his father to tell. ( )
  Dreesie | Apr 12, 2016 |
I read the #1 in 2011, so finally read #2. I really liked #2 even more than the first. As far as a memoir of the holocaust, I learned more from this graphic novel than many novel type books. This graphic novel made it real with the pictures. I also appreciated the authors description of his own experience as a child of a holocaust survivors. Glad i finally made it to book 2. ( )
  Kristelh | Apr 4, 2016 |
A must read after the first volume. ( )
  ndpmcIntosh | Mar 21, 2016 |
Wow! I am not a big comic/graphic fan, but I was amazed at how well this story worked! ( )
  Jen.ODriscoll.Lemon | Jan 23, 2016 |
  Jen.ODriscoll.Lemon | Jan 23, 2016 |
Perhaps no Holocaust narrative will ever contain the whole experience. But Art Spiegelman has found an original and authentic form to draw us closer to its bleak heart.

By writing and drawing simply, directly and earnestly, Mr. Spiegelman is able to lend his father's journey into hell and back an immediacy and poignance... In recounting the tales of both the father and the son in "Maus" and now in "Maus II," Mr. Spiegelman has stretched the boundaries of the comic book form and in doing so has created one of the most powerful and original memoirs to come along in recent years.

Mickey Mouse is the most miserable ideal ever revealed...Healthy emotions tell every independent young man and every honorable youth that the dirty and filth-covered vermin, the greatest bacteria carrier in the animal kingdom, cannot be the ideal type of animal...Away with Jewish brutalization of the people! Down with Mickey Mouse! Wear the Swastika Cross!
--newspaper article, pomerania, Germany, mid-1930s
Thanks to Paul Pavel, Deborah Karl, and Mala Spiegelman for helping this volume into the world.
Thanks to the John Simon Guggenheim Memorial Foundation for a fellowship that allowed me to focus on completing Maus.
And my thanks, with love and admiration, to Francoise Mouly for her intelligence, integrity, editorial skills, and for her love.
For Richieu and for Nadja
Summer vacation. Francoise and I were staying with friends in Vermont...

A memoir of Vladek Spiegleman, a Jewish survivor of Hitler's Europe, and about his son, a cartoonist who tries to come to terms with his father, his story, and history. Cartoon format portrays Jews as mice, Nazis as cats. Using a unique comic-strip-as-graphic-art format, the story of Vladek Spiegelman's passage through the Nazi Holocaust is told in his own words. Acclaimed as a "quiet triumph" and a "brutally moving work of art," the first volume of Art Spiegelman's Maus introduced readers to Vladek Spiegelman, a Jewish survivor of Hitler's Europe, and his son, a cartoonist trying to come to terms with his father, his father's terrifying story, and History itself. Its form, the cartoon (the Nazis are cats, the Jews mice), succeeds perfectly in shocking us out of any lingering sense of familiarity with the events described, approaching, as it does, the unspeakable through the diminutive. As the New York Times Book Review commented," [it is] a remarkable feat of documentary detail and novelistic vividness...an unfolding literary event." This long-awaited sequel, subtitled And Here My Troubles Began, moves us from the barracks of Auschwitz to the bungalows of the Catskills. Genuinely tragic and comic by turns, it attains a complexity of theme and a precision of thought new to comics and rare in any medium. Maus ties together two powerful stories: Vladek's harrowing tale of survival against all odds, delineating the paradox of daily life in the death camps, and the author's account of his tortured relationship with his aging father. Vladek's troubled remarriage, minor arguments between father and son, and life's everyday disappointments are all set against a backdrop of history too large to pacify. At every level this is the ultimate survivor's tale -- and that too of the children who somehow survive even the survivors.… (more)

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 108,398,419 books! | Top bar: Always visible