Maus II : And Here My Troubles Began by Art…

Maus II : And Here My Troubles Began (original 1991; edition 1991)

by Art Spiegelman

Member:gcoupe
Title:Maus II : And Here My Troubles Began
Authors:Art Spiegelman
Info:Pantheon (1991), Edition: Graphic No, Hardcover
Tags:biography, art

Maus II: A Survivor's Tale: And Here My Troubles Began by Art Spiegelman (Author) (1991)

Palestine by Joe Sacco (SqueakyChu)
    SqueakyChu: This is only for those not too raw after reading Maus and its sequel. I must warn you that Palestine does not paint a pretty picture of Jews or Israel, but Joe Sacco does an amazing job of revealing the story of a people through the use of graphic novel. He uses this genre, as does Art Spiegelman, to reveal heartfelt pain.… (more)
    Maus I: A Survivor's Tale by Art Spiegelman (Anonymous user)
    Open Me...I'm a Dog by Art Spiegelman (JessamyJane)
    Persepolis I : The Story of a Childhood by Marjane Satrapi (Tjarda)
    Kafka by David Zane Mairowitz (gust)
    De Avonden / Een beeldverhaal 1 by Gerard Reve (gust)
    gust: Ook een graphic novel
    We Are On Our Own by Miriam Katin (JessamyJane)
    Death is My Trade by Robert Merle (yokai)
    The Plot Against America by Philip Roth (bertilak)
    Fatelessness by Imre Kertész (SqueakyChu)

English (83)  Swedish (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (85)
This was just as complete and emotional as the first part. I think the characters became alive this time around, enough to even give me a slight annoyance (not always a bad thing). ( )
  yougotamber | Aug 22, 2014 |
How does one even try to explain the horrors that were the death camps of Nazi Germany? How can one approach the story of someone who survived to tell the tale?

Art Spiegelman's black and white graphic novels tell the complex story of his relationship with his survivor father and Vladek's survival of Auschwitz.

I love the choice of using black and white, instead of color, to tell this story. It makes for a more stark and rich telling, as does the choice to make the characters into animals.

What horrors told, each survivor and family member trying to live with the pain and suffering while trying to make sense of the utter destruction that was the Final Solution. ( )
  AuntieClio | Jun 22, 2014 |
Painful and amazing. ( )
  Moem | Mar 11, 2014 |
Every bit as powerful as the first volume. I found myself less sympathetic with Art here, though. It became more and more obvious that the exchange of story for time with his son was the same as the bribes to stay alive or get things done in camp, and that Art used this to his advantage. The last few pages felt rushed compared to the pace of the rest of the book, but the story closes well. Recommended. ( )
  JWarren42 | Oct 10, 2013 |
Most anything I could say about this has already been said, and more eloquently than I could manage. It's powerful stuff, not just Vladek's story itself, but the poignant depiction of the relationship between Art and Vladek.

Art bares his soul complete with his survivor guilt, embarassment over his father's behaviour as an old man, over his mother, and yet manages to show that troubled as it was, he and his father loved each other as best they could manage.

The art is wonderful, there's so much going on - small touches that you don't even notice until later. One that struck me hard was the crossroads morphing into the terrifying shape of a looming swastika, as Vladek and Anja stand trying to decide if they should go home from the first ghetto or look for somewhere else to stay. As if to say, no matter what they choose, no good is to come of it.

Also ,the deconstruction of "race" through animals is quite striking, and works well for me. The idiocy of seeing everyone from any race (or country, or group) as alike becomes clear. That it's thrown into sharp relief by the elderly Vladek's reaction to the kids picking up a black hitchhiker, as a lesson that he failed to learn even though he'd been on the sharp end of it is raw, but honest.

And yes, this one gets 5 stars, because it's ever so slightly better than the first half (but only barely - if this were a 10 star scale, they'd be at 9 and 10). And that wartime photo of Vladek near the end, looking me right in the eye, young and strong and proud, really got to me somehow. ( )
  krazykiwi | Sep 22, 2013 |
Perhaps no Holocaust narrative will ever contain the whole experience. But Art Spiegelman has found an original and authentic form to draw us closer to its bleak heart.

By writing and drawing simply, directly and earnestly, Mr. Spiegelman is able to lend his father's journey into hell and back an immediacy and poignance... In recounting the tales of both the father and the son in "Maus" and now in "Maus II," Mr. Spiegelman has stretched the boundaries of the comic book form and in doing so has created one of the most powerful and original memoirs to come along in recent years.

Mickey Mouse is the most miserable ideal ever revealed...Healthy emotions tell every independent young man and every honorable youth that the dirty and filth-covered vermin, the greatest bacteria carrier in the animal kingdom, cannot be the ideal type of animal...Away with Jewish brutalization of the people! Down with Mickey Mouse! Wear the Swastika Cross!
--newspaper article, pomerania, Germany, mid-1930s
Thanks to Paul Pavel, Deborah Karl, and Mala Spiegelman for helping this volume into the world.
Thanks to the John Simon Guggenheim Memorial Foundation for a fellowship that allowed me to focus on completing Maus.
And my thanks, with love and admiration, to Francoise Mouly for her intelligence, integrity, editorial skills, and for her love.
For Richieu and for Nadja
Summer vacation. Francoise and I were staying with friends in Vermont...

A memoir of Vladek Spiegleman, a Jewish survivor of Hitler's Europe, and about his son, a cartoonist who tries to come to terms with his father, his story, and history. Cartoon format portrays Jews as mice, Nazis as cats. Using a unique comic-strip-as-graphic-art format, the story of Vladek Spiegelman's passage through the Nazi Holocaust is told in his own words. Acclaimed as a "quiet triumph" and a "brutally moving work of art," the first volume of Art Spiegelman's Maus introduced readers to Vladek Spiegelman, a Jewish survivor of Hitler's Europe, and his son, a cartoonist trying to come to terms with his father, his father's terrifying story, and History itself. Its form, the cartoon (the Nazis are cats, the Jews mice), succeeds perfectly in shocking us out of any lingering sense of familiarity with the events described, approaching, as it does, the unspeakable through the diminutive. As the New York Times Book Review commented," [it is] a remarkable feat of documentary detail and novelistic vividness...an unfolding literary event." This long-awaited sequel, subtitled And Here My Troubles Began, moves us from the barracks of Auschwitz to the bungalows of the Catskills. Genuinely tragic and comic by turns, it attains a complexity of theme and a precision of thought new to comics and rare in any medium. Maus ties together two powerful stories: Vladek's harrowing tale of survival against all odds, delineating the paradox of daily life in the death camps, and the author's account of his tortured relationship with his aging father. Vladek's troubled remarriage, minor arguments between father and son, and life's everyday disappointments are all set against a backdrop of history too large to pacify. At every level this is the ultimate survivor's tale -- and that too of the children who somehow survive even the survivors.… (more)

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,330,714 books! | Top bar: Always visible