Pistols for Two by Georgette Heyer

Pistols for Two (original 1960; edition 2005)

by Georgette Heyer

Member:CelesteM
Title:Pistols for Two
Authors:Georgette Heyer
Info:Arrow Books Ltd (2005), Paperback, 320 pages
Tags:historical fiction, British

Pistols for Two by Georgette Heyer (1960)

English (24)  German (1)  All (25)
Fun - a set of short stories which are...pretty much Heyer novels condensed. At least one actually turned into a novel - I remember the miser, though I don't remember which book it was (and the circumstances certainly changed, in the novel). I think I enjoyed them even more than her novels - no long scenes of banter, but also no extended misunderstandings. Much the same characters - the sardonic hero, the sensible heroine, the naive heroine, the sensible hero driven out of his sensible ways...at least one "adorable brat", though she was more sheltered and therefore silly rather than the intentionally obnoxious ones Heyer seems to like. Two extracts from other books, both of which I've read - Venetia and Sylvester. Oddly enough, although I loved Venetia, the extract didn't make me want to reread - but I do want to reread Sylvester. Fun, worth reading, possibly worth rereading. ( )
  jjmcgaffey | Mar 2, 2017 |
I never knew Georgette Heyer wrote short stories on top of the prodigious number of full length novels she wrote over her career, until after I bought this book at a used book shop.

11 short stories, all entertaining, but average, with Gretna Green and comedic misunderstandings playing heavily through most of them. Short stories are not Heyer's strength, if this collection is anything to go by, as most of them have romances in them that skip right over the wooing part and go from introductions to betrothals. Still, they're light and entertaining, with Heyer's trademark cheekiness. ( )
  murderbydeath | Oct 25, 2016 |
I did enjoy this book of short stories set in Regency England. Duels, elopements, arranged marriages.... even a gothic suspense style story. Heyer's characterisation is excellent even in short stories, and her plotting, as always flawless.

I did roughly remember some of the outcomes or the stories as I read, but enjoyed reading them all the same. ( )
  SueinCyprus | Jan 26, 2016 |
An collection of short stories about duels and elopements. Utterly ridiculous, but an entertaining light-hearted read nonetheless. ( )
  cazfrancis | Oct 18, 2014 |
Read during Fall 2004

A collection of Regency Romance short stories with one mystery thrown in. Rather predictable and more references to trips to Gretna Green than I could ever imagine but fun.
  amyem58 | Jul 3, 2014 |
In the end, the quarrel, smouldering for so many weeks, flared up over such a trifle that anyone, Tom reflected, would have laughed to have known the cause. (Pistols for Two)

CONTENTS:

The Duel

Hazard

Snowdrift

Full Moon

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 009947638X, Paperback)

Affairs of honour, affairs of the heart, and all the gallantry, villainy and elegance of the age that Georgette Heyer has made her own are exquisitely revived in these eleven short stories of the Regency.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:20:33 -0400)

'Pistols for Two' contains 11 stories of the Regency. They feature affairs of honour between bucks and blades, rakes and rascals; and affairs of the heart between heirs and orphans, beauties and bachelors - all the romance and intrigue of the age.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,175,167 books! | Top bar: Always visible