Radical Simplicity: Small Footprints on a…

Radical Simplicity: Small Footprints on a Finite Earth

by Jim Merkel

The book was well written and for information on calculating your own foot print was well done. I only gave it two stars because it wasn't what I was exactly looking for. I thought it would be. It touched on the living with less but was more about the authors journey and then formula notes on how to map how much you have and track what you use. I'm in the space of wanting to do hands on stuff like go through all my shit and seriously pair down. I dunno. It just wasn't what I was exactly looking for but that doesn't mean it wasn't a good book. I'm also tired and rambling now. Good night. ( )
  Darkkatpouncing007 | Nov 21, 2013 |
Summary: How to measure your possessions and lifestyle to come closer to a sustainable way of living that benefits everyone on the planet.
Review: Great book, lots of reasoned information about how to consume wisely. Having already found Your Money or Your Life (which is given a lot of page time), the most practical things I got were easy-to-use tools to calculate my ecological footprint, and suggestions to make it sustainably smaller.
  jwitsoe | Aug 9, 2007 |
SPl
  ChristinaMarie | Jan 28, 2007 |

Imagine you are first in line at a potluck buffet. The spread includes not just food and water, but all the materials needed for shelter, clothing, healthcare, and education. How do you know how much to take? How much is enough to leave for your neighbors behind you—not just the six billion people, but the wildlife, and the as-yet-unborn?

In the face of looming ecological disaster, many people feel the need to change their own lifestyles as a tangible way of transforming our unsustainable culture. Radical Simplicity is the first book that guides the reader to a personal sustainability goal, then offers a process to monitor progress to a lifestyle that is equitable amongst all people, species, and generations. It employs three tools to help readers begin their customized journey to simplicity:

>It builds on steps from Your Money or Your Life so readers can design their own personal economics to save money, get free of debt, and align their work with their values.
It uses refined tools from Our Ecological Footprint so readers can measure how much nature is needed to supply all they consume and absorb their waste.
Combining lyrical narrative, compassionate advocacy, and absorbing science, Radical Simplicity is a practical, personal answer to twenty-first century challenges that will appeal as much to Cultural Creatives and students as to spiritual seekers, policy makers, and sustainability professionals.

Jim Merkel quit his job as a military engineer following the Exxon Valdez disaster and has since worked to develop tools for personal and societal sustainability. He founded the Global Living Project to further this work and conducts workshops around North America on this topic.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:25:25 -0400)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,476,015 books! | Top bar: Always visible