Wees maar eens koning by John Steinbeck

Wees maar eens koning (original 1957; edition 1964)

by John Steinbeck

Member:Philippe_Nollet
Title:Wees maar eens koning
Authors:John Steinbeck
Info:Amsterdam Querido 1964
Collections:Literatuur, Your library
Rating:***
Tags:20e eeuw, Amerika, Amerikaanse literatuur, Klassieker, Komedie, Fictie, Humor, Literatuur, Nobelprijs, Roman, Politiek, Satire, Verenigde Staten, Frankrijk

The Short Reign of Pippin IV by John Steinbeck (1957)

English (7)  Hebrew (1)  French (1)  All languages (9)
The Short Reign of Pippin IV : A Fabrication by John Steinbeck (1957)
  BipashaR | Sep 2, 2010 |
This is the book that made me a royalist when I was young. ( )
  antiquary | Jun 7, 2010 |
A very humorous spoofy take on an ordinary man who is a star gazer being forced to become the King of France. And while it was quite cute and funny, I have to admit that I found myself skimming pages.
It is very different than anything Steinbeck I have ever read before. And other than the above, it is really difficult to explain it. It was so different and I am such a Steinbeck fan that I think I just really could not get my head wrapped around it.
There are the Christians, there are the Communist Christians, there are the Atheist Christians, there are the Christian Christians.
And then there are the politics. This poor man wants nothing more than to be removed from this monarchy.
I don't know how I really feel about this one. I don't know how to recommend it. It was..................different, funny, a spoof. Perhaps, I just didn't get it. ( )
2 vote rainpebble | Sep 10, 2009 |
This is one of my favorite of Stenbeck's books. Likely because it is a comedy. ( )
  gam3 | Mar 10, 2009 |
No one I've talked to has ever heard of this Steinbeck short novel, but my friend Steve read it recently and knew I'd like it, so he sent me his copy. He was right. I loved it. Those of you who only know Steinbeck from Of Mice and Men or The Grapes of Wrath really owe it to yourselves to try this book or Cannery Row or Sweet Thursday just to get a taste of his lighter side. The cover copy on this one says, "John Steinbeck's Hilarious and Affectionate Spoof on French Politics, Texas Millionaires, Teen-Age Girl Novelists, Sex, and Other Human Frailties." It's as good a summation as any I could give you.

There's a scene in this book that made me think of Monty Python's Life of Brian. Remember when they had the Judean People's Front, the Popular People's Front, the People's Front of Judea, etc.? Well, there's one in here where they have the Christian Communists, the Christian Christians, the Christian Atheists, etc. Made me laugh out loud.

And any book that contains the sentence, "Luxembourg mobilized," is worth reading. ( )
4 vote jennyo | Sep 13, 2008 |

John Steinbeckprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Morsberger, Katharine M.Introductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Morsberger, Robert EustisIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To my sister Esther
Number One Avenue de Marigny in Paris is a large, square house of dark and venerable appearance.

LA BELLE FRANCE

was head-over-heals in the worst Government crisis of all time - and fifty million Frenchmen, from the biggest Cabinet Minister to the littlest fille de joie,decided that what their country needed was a KING!

So they nominated quiet, unassuming M. Pippin Arnuld Heristat, an amateur stargazer, lineal descendant of Charlemagne, who looked as if he'd take orders form the gatekeeper's dog.

But, soon as they slapped the crown on his head, Pippin IV jumped off his throne and started triumphantly screwy, utterly different, brand-new French Revolution ....
--------------------------

Setinbeck's story about the little Frenchman who didn't want to be King is irresistibly delightful, from his royal misadventures aboard a motor scooter, to his fascinating relationship with his chief adviser, a wise nun who learned about life as a stripper with the Folies Bergere.

A work of antic political satire from an American master

In The Short Reign of Pippin IV, John Steinbeck turns the French Revolution upside down as amateur astronomer Pippin Héristal is drafted to rule the unruly French. Steinbeck creates around the infamous Pippin the most hilarious royal court ever: Pippin?s wife, Queen Marie, who ?might have taken her place at the bar of a very good restaurant?; his uncle, a man of dubious virtue; his glamour-struck daughter and her beau, the son of the so-called ?egg king? of Petaluma, California; and a motley crew of courtiers and politicians, guards and gardeners.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:20:39 -0400)

In "The Short Reign of Pippin IV," John Steinbeck turns the French Revolution upside down as amateur astronomer Pippin Hristal is drafted to rule the unruly French. Steinbeck creates around the infamous Pippin the most hilarious royal court ever: Pippins wife, Queen Marie, who might have taken her place at the bar of a very good restaurant; his uncle, a man of dubious virtue; his glamour-struck daughter and her beau, the son of the so-called egg king of Petaluma, California; and a motley crew of courtiers and politicians, guards and gardeners.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,655,360 books! | Top bar: Always visible