Winter's Frost by R. D. Wingfield

English (5)  Dutch (1)  All (6)
The Frost series just keeps getting better and better. Detective Inspector Frost is in top form dealing with a serial killer of local prostitutes, a new acting inspector Liz Maud, and the continual harassment from Superintendent Mullett, who can never quite understand why Frost can never seem to find a filling station that provides printed receipts for his gasoline reimbursement. Fortunately, Frost has a new DC who is quite adept at completing long overdue crime statistic reports and changing "5's" to "8's" on the gasoline reimbursement forms. Lots of the scenes had me laughing out loud. He continues to have a knack at dealing with suspects: "Do you want to confess now, or shall we waste time beating you up and claiming you fell down the stairs while drunk?" Insisting that a bus load of drunken revelers be kept out of the station, fearing the mess they would make, Mullett orders them to be gotten out of the way. Frost has the inspired idea of putting them back on the bus, whereupon they steal it, driving off quickly, and smashing Mullett's new car in the process.

Mullett is already livid because his usual parking place had been taken by the bus when he arrived. Frost meets him in the parking lot and begins, "Your best bet is to say it was parked and some drunken sod ran into it." "That's exactly what did happen," snapped Mullett. "Good for you!" nodded Frost approvingly. "I almost believe you myself, and I can always see through a lie." Frost really has his hands full in this one. He has someone killing and molesting children, a serial rapist and killer abducting and torturing local prostitutes, a DC who keeps getting everything wrong, and then suddenly a thirty-fiveyear old skeleton pops up with its skull bashed in. Throughout he keeps making mistakes, wrong guesses, constantly flagellating himself for his errors, no doubt wishing it could be Mullett instead.

Throughout, he has to cajole, bribe, and browbeat Mullett into assigning more men to stakeouts, spending more on overtime, and signing Frost's forged receipts. Then his prime suspect commits suicide in a holding cell, claiming that Frost badgered him and humiliated an innocent man. And to make things worse, the evidence begins to point to the man's innocence. Set aside some time for this one, the ending will keep you riveted to your seat and chuckling all the while. Great stuff. ( )
  ecw0647 | Sep 30, 2013 |
At the risk of repeating myself, I am once again singing the praises of DI Frost and his creator, R.D. Wingfield. Winter Frost which is the 5th book in this police procedural series is as good, if not better, than his previous four. Frost is still the sloppy, funny, seemingly inept policeman that eventually solves his cases. He is still aided and abetted by a wonderful cast of characters including his dogmatic, rule imposing, boot licking superior and his new assistant who is even lazier and more slovenly than Frost himself but excels in fiddling both Frost’s expenses and the Crime Stats Report.

Don’t get me wrong, these books are far from cozy, they are very dark. This time out Frost is searching for missing children and hunting a serial murderer who targets prostitutes. As one missing child turns up brutally raped and strangled, the pressure mounts. Thrown into the mix are the numerous other cases that Frost and his cronies must deal with, from armed robbery, hit-and-run accidents and the thirty year old remains of a skeleton.

These books are great reads, dark, intense, yet able to make you laugh out loud. An old-fashioned policeman, Frost very rarely goes by the book, he muddles through and eventually arrives at the correct finish. Deep down he is a very honourable man and is doing his best for the public Slightly formulaic in nature, I like to spread these reads out, and it is my great sadness that after this book I only have one more to look forward to. ( )
1 vote DeltaQueen50 | Aug 27, 2011 |
I do not usually read mystery novels, but I find the Frost stories fun to read. In this case, Frost is looking for someone who abducts young girls, sexually assaults them and then abandons them in isolated areas. While trying to get a handle on this case, he is also trying to stopped a serial killer from killing more prostitutes. Other characters who hinder his investigations are his incompetent assistant, Morgan and his supervisor, Chief Superintendent Mullet whose main concern is to look good to his superiors. Wingfield's Frost novels are an odd combination of dark, evil, crime ridden streets and laugh out loud humour mainly provided by Frost's sarcasm. I could not put this book down until I reached the conclusion. ( )
  lamour | May 5, 2010 |
Escapism of a pleasant kind - there's nothing too serious in all the bad things that happen here. Everything is a little predictable but I found a lot of it amusing and I like the setting. Wingfield's Frost books are so easy to read that I'm surprised he found writing them such an onerous task. Still, you need a bit of a break between reading them so I'm saving 'killing Frost' until later but I'm looking forward to it already. ( )
  evening | May 31, 2008 |
Usual well written Jack Frost detective novel, with humourous dialogue leavening the sometimes bleak plotline of serial killer and dead prostitute. ( )
  edwardsgt | Oct 28, 2007 |
He had the photographs spread out on the tabl ein front of him and was savouring them once again.

In this fifth novel in the DI Jack Frost series, a serial killer surfaces in Denton, killing prostitutes and abducting small girls. With Frost following false leads and unable to catch the killer, his own position in the force is put in jeopardy.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:20:02 -0400)

In Winter Frost, the fifth novel to date in the Frost series, a serial killer surfaces in Denton and seems to be a two-headed monster, killing both prostitutes and abducting small girls. Frost has an army of suspects rising from every gutter, from the simpering Charlie Weaver, who loves his mother so much, to the sex- obsessed local dentist and the foul-mouthed taxi driver. As Frost chases up a succession of blind alleys, his own position on the Force hangs in the balance. Will he be able to find the killer before he loses his own job? And will Frost's own cock-eyed attitude towards women not to mention his tolerance of a plainly intolerable colleague mean that he'll miss a vital clue?… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,076,455 books! | Top bar: Always visible