Wolf Brother by Michelle Paver

Wolf Brother (2004)

by Michelle Paver

Series: Chronicles of Ancient Darkness (1)

1,826675,851 (4)61
    Eragon by Christopher Paolini (Hedgepeth)
    Ghost of Spirit Bear by Ben Mikaelsen (range6)
    range6: Tribal life and the importance of the Spirit Bear appear in both stories.
    My Side of the Mountain by Jean Craighead George (Anonymous user)

English (63)  French (2)  Dutch (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (67)
Standard children's book. One could easily map Joseph Campbell's archetypes onto it. Made brilliant by Ian McClellen's narration. Felt like a kid again, but with adult's awareness of the great power of stories in teaching. ( )
  maryroberta | Oct 29, 2018 |
I read it in one day. What more do you need?
I loved this story and will look out for the next books in the series.
*SPOILERS*
Anything with a wolf is bound to get my attention, and Wolf in this story is fully realised - not just a furry human. I really liked that Wolf had a life apart from Torak's, a mind that differed from Torak's, and that he (Wolf) could make his own decisions and in fact leave Torak behind. Wolf in fact achieved the quest to the World Spirit, though Torak killed the bear. Great - and the promise of meeting up in the future - excellent.
I found the ending a bit rushed. I would have loved more detail about the final confrontation and the parting of the ways (so 4.5 stars not 5). Renn, Torak's friend, is a redoubtable girl, and I hope that in future episodes she is shown to be as important and fore-ordained as Toral himself. Don't get me wrong - Torak is a very likeable character - but he does rather fulfil the cliches of the traditional hero ie secret childhood, unexpected abilities, surprising courage and skills - think young King Arthur pulling the sword from the stone. I hope Renn is just as important to the Prophecy as she is to Torak's success.
More! More!
And I truly LOVE the illustrations by Geoff Taylor. ( )
  ClareRhoden | Sep 26, 2018 |
Dit vond ik ook een leuk boek, alleen wel erg langdradig. Voor jongens is dit een heel erg leuk boek. ( )
  Karlijnd | Dec 5, 2017 |
4.5/5 stars
I enjoyed this book just as much as I did when I read it for the first time a few years ago. This is definitely more a middle grade novel, but that made it no less enjoyable. Definitely going to continue to re-read the rest of the series! ( )
  ACascadeofBooks | Oct 5, 2016 |

Omland, StianTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Orcese, AlessandraTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Post Uiterweer, EllisTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Taylor, GeoffIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Torak woke with a jolt from a sleep he'd never meant to have.

The epic journey of boy and wolf begins

Six thousand years ago. Evil stalks the land. According to legend, only twelve-year-old Torak and his wolf-cub companion can defeat it. Their journey together takes them through deep forests, across giant glaciers, and into dangers they never imagined. Torak and Wolf are terrified of their mission. But if they do not battle to save their world, who will?

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:19:25 -0400)

6,000 years in the past, twelve-year-old Tarak and his guide, a wolf cub, set out on a dangerous journey to fulfill an oath the boy made to his dying father--to travel to the Mountain of the World Spirit seeking a way to destroy a demon-possessed bear that threatens all the clans.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 137,471,263 books! | Top bar: Always visible