Wolf Brother by Michelle Paver

Wolf Brother (original 2004; edition 2012)

by Michelle Paver, Geoff Taylor (Illustrator)

Member:MyopicBookworm
Title:Wolf Brother
Authors:Michelle Paver
Other authors:Geoff Taylor (Illustrator)
Info:London : Orion Children's Books, 2012.
Tags:fantasy, children's, historical fiction, prehistoric settings, Bronze Age

Wolf Brother by Michelle Paver (2004)

Recently added bybenderca, Shazarah, Ampton, AFNO, panzerwolf, Anniezp, Emma.m, Marcella1717, Scotandthefox, private library
    Ghost of Spirit Bear by Ben Mikaelsen (range6)
    range6: Tribal life and the importance of the Spirit Bear appear in both stories.
    My Side of the Mountain by Jean Craighead George (Anonymous user)

English (58)  French (2)  Dutch (1)  All languages (61)
I read this when I was a kid and wondered how it would hold up now that I'm older. I still love it. It's still brilliant ( )
  emmyreads | Jan 4, 2016 |
Thus far, I have minimal motivation to really get into this book. It's starting very slowly and usurping many outmoded (i.e. racist) Native American stereotypes for the fake society in this book.

Update: This book took a LONG time to get started. It wasn't until Renn and Torak leave the village that things become endurable and at that point things start becoming far better than the beginning. The obnoxious stylization of fake Native American speak ("fast water" as the word for river and likewise) never becomes anything less than insulting and really ruined the voice of the story for me. That being said, for such a cliche on the "chosen one" trope, the story itself isn't too bad. ( )
  benuathanasia | May 22, 2015 |
I love this series! I have read them all but I have to say they are absolutely marvellous đź’• Such a heart warmingly sweet, adventurous and action packed book! I could cry
  WolfReader | Nov 29, 2014 |
I would describe this as "Harry Potter in the Stone Age", but that would set the bar too high (perhaps it's just that this is aimed at a younger audience than Harry Potter). Still, a very gripping yarn & a thrilling ride: I think I'll enjoy this series. ( )
  Heduanna | Nov 2, 2014 |
ORIGINALLY POSTED AT Fantasy Literature.

Torak and his father have been living alone, away from their clan, for as long as Torak can remember. When a demon-possessed bear attacks them one night, Torak’s father is mortally wounded. Before he dies, he makes Torak promise to seek the Mountain of the World Spirit. On his journey to the mountain, Torak meets a recently orphaned wolf cub who becomes his guide, and then the boy and his wolf are captured by a tribe who wonder if Torak will fulfill their prophecy and save them from the demon-bear. There he meets Renn, a brave and spirited girl who only wants what’s best for her tribe. Meanwhile, the bear still hunts them.

Michelle Paver’s Wolf Brother, the first in a series of children’s novels called The Chronicles of Ancient Darkness, is a serious and gripping story. The writing is lovely and full of beautiful imagery, especially in the sections written from the wolf cub’s perspective. The story is original, suspenseful, and a little bit frightening. It promotes love, loyalty, and courage.

Wolf Brother is a perfect read for children in the targeted age range of 9-12. Torak, Wolf, and Renn are easy to love and the ancient wilderness setting is fascinating and offers lots of opportunities for learning about forest survival techniques.

Teens and adults will probably wish that Torak, Renn, and Wolf had to work a bit harder to fulfill their goals. Until the end, Torak mostly manages to accidentally stumble upon what he needs rather than apply his skills, courage, or wits. This aspect of the story was disappointing, but it was so well written otherwise that I still enjoyed it.

I read Wolf Brother on audio. The narrator is enthusiastic and pleasant to listen to. However, he has a deep, gruff, slightly muddy voice with an English accent that my 9-year-old daughter found difficult to follow. If you’re thinking about the audio version for a child, you might want to have them listen to a sample first. ( )
  Kat_Hooper | Apr 6, 2014 |

Omland, StianTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Orcese, AlessandraTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Post Uiterweer, EllisTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Taylor, GeoffIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Torak woke with a jolt from a sleep he'd never meant to have.

The epic journey of boy and wolf begins

Six thousand years ago. Evil stalks the land. According to legend, only twelve-year-old Torak and his wolf-cub companion can defeat it. Their journey together takes them through deep forests, across giant glaciers, and into dangers they never imagined. Torak and Wolf are terrified of their mission. But if they do not battle to save their world, who will?

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:19:25 -0400)

6,000 years ago, twelve-year-old Torak and his guide, a wolf cub, set out on a dangerous journey to fulfill an oath the boy made to his dying father--to travel to the Mountain of the World Spirit to destroy a demon-possessed bear that threatens all the clans.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,140,879 books! | Top bar: Always visible