Crime Seen (Psychic Eye Mysteries, Book 5)…

Crime Seen (Psychic Eye Mysteries, Book 5) (edition 2007)

by Victoria Laurie

Member:snazz
Title:Crime Seen (Psychic Eye Mysteries, Book 5)
Authors:Victoria Laurie
Info:Signet (2007), Mass Market Paperback, 304 pages
Rating:***

Crime Seen by Victoria Laurie

This one started kind of slow for me, but picked up steam for an interesting finish. Since I've read a couple of books in this series beyond this one, it was good to get a little extra history in this installment. ( )
  dukefan86 | Dec 13, 2013 |
Professional psychic Abby Cooper has been recovering from her near fatal shooting by staying at the house of her boyfriend, FBI agent Dutch Rivers. Abby's body is healing, but she is reluctant to go back to work as a psychic because she questions why she didn't foresee that she would be shot. To help Abby in her recovery, Dutch asks her to help him solve a couple of his cases using her psychic powers. Abby agrees and finds that it's just the medicine she needs. But she accidentally comes across a case involving a cop killer and her intuition tells her the wrong man is in jail. Abby realizes that even though Dutch won't like it, she has to clear the wronged man's name and find the real killer. But Abby's persistence will lead her into real danger, once again.

"Crime Seen" is another great entry in Victoria Laurie's Psychic Eye mystery series. Abby is a great character and Laurie (a psychic herself) does a good job of showing how the psychic mind works. I love the description of her spirit guides. Abby has grown as a character throughout the course of the books and her struggle to decide whether or not to go back to work as a psychic because she is afraid she'll fail is very realistically done. Laurie's decision to have Abby set up a partnership with PI Candice is a good one and will no doubt open up many plot lines in future books. It's also good to see Abby have a local female friend since her friend Theresa moved to California. Abby's relationship with Dutch is also well written and their living together adds another dimension to that relationship. Their relationship is very real, especially when Abby keeps secrets from Dutch because she knows he'll worry and her struggle to be in a relationship yet remaining independent is very realistic. There's also a good deal of humor in the relationship, especially when Abby gives Dutch a haircut. The mystery aspects of this book are a bit different, since Abby is trying to solve a case that happened in the past and is considered closed. Because of that, there's not a lot of suspects and the identity of the killer isn't really a surprise, although there is a neat little twist at the end of the book.

"Crime Seen" is another great mystery by Victoria Laurie. ( )
  drebbles | Apr 18, 2013 |
So far I've really liked this series. The characters are relatable and the mysteries keep me guessing. This one has to be my least favorite. Previously, Laurie established Abby as a strong independent woman who can take care of herself. But in Crime Seen, Abby becomes a caricature. Abby must now answer to Dutch simply because he is her boyfriend. And it's really irritating me. She allows herself to be treated like a child and this whole Lucy-Ricky dynamic is very 1950s.

Abby is becoming more like a disobedient child getting chastised by her keeper. And she behaves as if he has a right to chastise her. Additionally, she keeps making really stupid decisions that she could avoid easily. Laurie has the ability to drive a plot forward without having to force Abby to be dumb, but she did not employ this ability in this installment of the series. Abby is bumbling. And infantile. I imagine she was aiming for endearing, but it strikes me more as ... irritating.

I guess I will continue the series with the hope that the next books will course correct and Abby will reclaim her power. I liked Dutch before Crime Seen and hopefully Laurie changes their relationship dynamic. We'll see. ( )
  snazz | Dec 30, 2012 |
Another great book featuring Abby Cooper and her pals. The series keeps getting better all the time. ( )
  CozyLover | Sep 8, 2011 |
I'm clearly on an Abby Cooper jag. Another fun one, where Abby teams up with her PI friend, and they get in a heap of trouble with a Hummer. Nasty people in the mortgage lending biz...watch out!
  mochap | May 19, 2011 |
For two women of iconic beauty, brains, and class- my aunts, Mary Jane Humphreys and Elizabeth Laurie
The way I see it, there are two kinds of people in this world: cat people and dog people.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0451222016, Mass Market Paperback)

Abby Cooper, Psychic Eye, is having a hard time getting over a gunshot wound from her last case-especially because she didn't see the shots coming. Out of work and second-guessing her abilities, she tries to get back in the saddle by helping her boyfriend Dutch with some of his FBI cases. And soon enough, her intuition returns-with a vengeance.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:42:59 -0400)

When her FBI agent boyfriend asks her to review a few case files, professional psychic Abby Cooper, while recovering from a gunshot wound, discovers that there is an innocent man in prison and goes undercover to bring the real killer to justice.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,054,680 books! | Top bar: Always visible