George III: A Personal History by…

George III: A Personal History (1998)

by Christopher Hibbert

easy to read. George was peculiar but basically a nice guy. I think his wife was a difficult woman who functioned if everything was going her way. she was nasty to all her children. neither parent seemed to do anything to get their children married. if the kids found their own spouses, the parents were furious. they didn't want to give their kids money. THEY WERE THE ONES RESPONSIBLE FOR PRODUCING 12 KIDS. ( )
  mahallett | May 30, 2019 |
Overall, I find one thing interesting about George III - the fact that he went insane. Otherwise, he's a rather dull figure, a family man, a dutiful monarch, favored conservatives in politics, and he loved his wife and his fifteen(!) children. Altogether, this picture makes the first half of his life (and this book) somewhat boring to read about. I was so grateful to finally reach the point of George's declining sanity (and the antics of his children) and I wish the author had gone into more detail about it. An interesting read, but this biography fails to really delve into the character of George III and skims over the last ten years of his life. ( )
  wagner.sarah35 | Aug 14, 2014 |
As another reviewer has noted, this is a "personal" history. Unfortunately, the "personal" so dominates as to make the whole book a superficial trifle. The book's one redeeming feature (to a person like myself, whose real interest is literary) is its frequent quotations from the diaries of Fanny Burney, who spent several years at court as “Second Keeper of the Robes” to Queen Charlotte. ( )
  CurrerBell | Feb 22, 2014 |
I very much enjoyed reading George III: A Personal History. Christopher Hibbert definitely focused on the "personal" in this book. I learned quite a bit about George's relationships with family, members of the household, court and government and famous artists, authors and musicians of the age. I know now how he spent his days and what he liked and disliked. His personal strengths and weaknesses came through in this book as well. Mr. Hibbert made me curious to know more and provided very nice "Notes on Sources" and "Bibliography" sections to help the reader wanting to dig deeper or to get a broader overview of George's reign. ( )
  cbfiske | Sep 10, 2010 |
This sets out to be a 'personal history'. As very little of the political background is recorded here, the life is portrayed in something of a vacuum. ( )
  jcolvin | Oct 19, 2009 |
For Monica and Denis
with love
I
'THE GREATEST BEAST IN THE WHOLE WORLD'
I wish the ground would open this moment and sink the monster to the lowest hole in hell.
In the emphatic opinion of Sir Robert Walpole, King George II's First Minister, Frederick, Prince of Wales, was a 'poor, weak, irresolute, false, lying dishonest, contemptible wretch that nobody loves, that nobody believes, that nobody will trust'.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0465027245, Paperback)

Poor George III. Americans think of him as a tyrant whose unjust taxes provoked their revolution. Moviegoers envision a nightshirt-clad lunatic running through the palace halls in The Madness of King George. The handsome, gracious, conscientious young man of 22 who mounted the throne in 1760 may well be a revelation to many readers of Christopher Hibbert's elegant new biography. At 75, Hibbert is the dean of popular British historians and the author of more than 30 books spanning five centuries of European life; his experience enables him to convey prodigious research with the lightest of touches in his intimate account, which focuses on the king's personal character. Though Hibbert capably covers the period's political events and shows George to be a hardworking constitutional monarch, he prefers to direct our attention to the loving husband, devoted (though sometimes domineering) father, hearty appreciator of (very conventional) fine art, knowledgeable patron of literature, and avid all-around reader whose interests ranged from architecture to agriculture. This affectionate portrait makes it all the more distressing when George's bouts of madness (the result of a hereditary metabolic disease) begin in 1788 and permanently incapacitate him long before his death in 1820. Old-fashioned narrative biography doesn't get much better than this. --Wendy Smith

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:24:16 -0400)

George III is portrayed as not only a competent ruler during most of his reign, but also as a patron of the arts and sciences, a man of wit and intelligence. Indeed, he was a man who greatly enhanced the reputation of the British monarchy until he was finally stricken with a rare hereditary disease.… (more)

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,597,056 books! | Top bar: Always visible