Manson in His Own Words by Charles Manson

Manson in His Own Words

by Charles Manson

140None85,407 (3.91)2
Recently added byraisedbybooks, daveb99, cordwainer, catholicanarchy, rsarao, LSTEPH1967, v4758, private library, gb24, nimil

Article first published as Book Review: Manson In His Own Words by Charles Manson & Nuel Emmons on Blogcritics.Say what you want, but Charles Manson fascinates me. I do believe he is crazy and should not be out walking around, but, still, something about him makes me want to try to figure out how his mind works and why it works the way it does.Manson In His Own Words was a little bit helpful. Honestly, I don't know how much of it is accurate. The author Nuel Emmons says himself that he did not have a tape recorder or pencil or paper during the conversations, so he had to go by memory, writing things down when he returned to his car. That alone tells me that there is probably more of Mr. Emmons thoughts' or feelings than Charlie.Reading about his childhood was heartbreaking. Imagine your own mother trading you as a child for a pitcher of beer. Your own mother turning you over to the courts because she didn't want to take care of you. Being in foster homes, reform schools and jail since you were twelve years old. Being abused in those places mentally, physically and sexually. How can that not have a negative effect on anyone?Charles Manson definitely has a screw loose, but is he the evil incarnate that the media has made him out to be? Again, you have to read this with an open mind and take what is written with a grain of salt. I am not real sure how much of what Charlie says is reliable, but it was a very interesting perspective from what is supposed to be his point of view.Charles Manson is now 77 years old, and he will again come up for parole in 2012. We all know that is a joke and he will never walk free again. When I look at this picture I see a sad old man, but that is just my opinion: ( )
  SenoraG163 | Sep 10, 2011 |
This book is AMAZING... if you're on Charlie's side. ( )
  Lindsay_Lou | Jan 28, 2007 |

We have called him a devil and quarantined him behind such labels as "the most dangerous man alive." But Charles Manson remains a shocking reminder of our own humanity gone awry. This astonishing book lays bare the life and the mind of a man whose acts have left us horrified. His story provides an enormous amount of new information about his life and how it led to the Tate-LaBianca murders, and reminds us of the complexity of the human condition. Born in the middle of the Depression to an unmarried fifteen-year-old, Manson lived through a bewildering succession of changing homes and substitute parents, until his mother finally asked the state authorities to assume his care when he was twelve. Regimented and often brutalized in juvenile homes, Manson became immersed in a life of petty theft, pimping, jail terms, and court appearances that culminated in seven years of prison. Released in 1967, he suddenly found himself in the world of hippies and flower children, a world that not only accepted him, but even glorified his anti-establishment values. It was a combination that led, for reasons only Charles Manson can fully explain, to tragedy. Manson's story, distilled from seven years of interviews and examinations of his correspondence, provides sobering insight into the making of a criminal mind, and a fascinating picture of the last years of the sixties. No one who wants to understand that time, and the man who helped to bring it to a horrifying conclusion, can miss reading this book.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:20:17 -0400)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,456,814 books! | Top bar: Always visible