The Brain That Changes Itself : Stories of…

The Brain That Changes Itself : Stories of Personal Triumph from the… (2007)

by Norman Doidge

Recently added byprivate library, pattyp, laputa, rsk97, Perkky, maxptyson, susanursel, Emmie217, sarahlavorgna
    The Woman Who Changed Her Brain: And Other Inspiring Stories of Pioneering Brain Transformation by Barbara Arrowsmith-Young (bernsad)
    Brain School: Stories of children with learning disabilities and attention disorders who changed their lives by improving their cognitive functioning by Howard Eaton (AmberA)
    AmberA: Howard Eaton's "Brain School" offers an in-depth look into the Arrowsmith Program (for students with learning disabilities) described in Chapter 2 of Norman Doidge's "The Brain That Changes Itself."

English (64)  Dutch (1)  All (65)
This book is absolutely fascinating. It's pretty heavy on science, but the stories of people keep it from being too dry. ( )
  TheBibliophage | Mar 20, 2018 |
Please read the Appendix 1 and 2 before you finish this book. They are the best comments on the stories he presented. And you'll find the motivation of the author to write this book, as well as his deep thinking of the fundamental roles of the plasticity of brains in human history.

Overall, it's a good reading. I have been convinced that the human brains are dynamic and plastic though limited while we are getting older and more important is that we can change it using specific methods and a great effort. The author knows how to present the Science at the right places - while you are very curious about the stories. So you would not get bored, at least in most of the time. The only part I may complain is that a few topics are still very controversial, but the author presented them as they are truth. For instance, Barbara Arrowsmith Young's work is more based on anecdotes but not on solid scientific studies and that the existence and the functions of stem cells in adult brains are extremely restricted. But he gave me the impression they are super prominent and promising. ( )
  zhliu0124 | Aug 7, 2017 |
Personal Triumphs from the frontiers of brain science
  jhawn | Jul 31, 2017 |
The Brain that Changes Itself (by Norman Doidge). An interesting reading that suggests why each of us may think, feel, or act in certain ways, and how we may be able to manage our own mental 'handicaps' (both the medically recognised and the more personal). Includes suggestions on how to reduce/retard mental degradation through exercises that keep our brains actively engaged. #TheBrainThatChangesItself #NormanDoidge #BrainScience #Psychology #SelfHelp #BrainDevelopment #Book #Review #AFYReviews ( )
  l_affinity | Apr 18, 2017 |
This is a fascinating book by a psychologist who looks at stories of people with different disabilities whose brains basically rewired themselves around their condition. The book looks at the implications of brain plasticity. Interesting stories. Interesting discoveries. ( )
  quiBee | Jan 21, 2016 |
For Eugene L. Goldberg, M.D.,
because you said you might like to read it
Preface
This book is about the revolutionary discovery that the human brain can change itself, as told through the stories of the scientists, doctors, and patients who have together brought about these astonishing transformations.

An astonishing new science called "neuroplasticity" is overthrowing the centuries-old notion that the human brain is immutable. In this revolutionary look at the brain, psychiatrist and psychoanalyst Norman Doidge, M.D., provides an introduction to both the brilliant scientists championing neuroplasticity and the people whose lives they've transformed. From stroke patients learning to speak again to the remarkable case of a woman born with half a brain that rewired itself to work as a whole, The Brain That Changes Itself will permanently alter the way we look at our brains, human nature, and human potential.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 17:57:49 -0400)

A new science called neuroplasticity is overthrowing the old notion that the human brain is immutable. Psychoanalyst Doidge traveled the country to meet both the brilliant scientists championing neuroplasticity and the people whose lives they've transformed--people whose mental limitations or brain damage were seen as unalterable. We see a woman born with half a brain that rewired itself to work as a whole, blind people who learn to see, learning disorders cured, IQs raised, aging brains rejuvenated, stroke patients learning to speak, children with cerebral palsy learning to move with more grace, depression and anxiety disorders successfully treated, and lifelong character traits changed. Using these stories to probe mysteries of the body, emotion, love, sex, culture, and education, Dr. Doidge has written an inspiring book that will permanently alter the way we look at our brains, human nature, and human potential.--From publisher description.… (more)

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 127,259,710 books! | Top bar: Always visible