Casino Royale by Ian Fleming

Casino Royale (1953)

by Ian Fleming

Series: James Bond (1)

The Kobra Manifesto by Adam Hall (benfulton)
    benfulton: Very similar spy stories. Quiller is a bit more physical than Bond, I think.
    The Spy Who Came in From the Cold by John le Carré (Cecilturtle)

English (130)  Danish (1)  Hebrew (1)  Catalan (1)  All languages (133)
Brisk and brusque, cosmopolitan and sensuous, whilst deceptive and brutal, “Casino Royale,” the first James Bond novel, is a very good, fluid, and quick read. It’s a simple and exciting novel that I’d bring along for a long train trip, though its smatterings of old world sophistication may seem at times too detail-oriented and too sentimental. Also, its ending just seemed to drag on and on towards its manly but ultimately unsatisfying, vindictive, and empty final line. I’m now reading “Live and Let Die” and I hope it’s at least as good as the original. ( )
  GYKM | May 28, 2015 |
Classic.

Not like the films, much darker.

Highly recommended ( )
  dham340 | May 10, 2015 |
Casino Royale is the first in Ian Fleming's James Bond books, and it is the first one that I've read as well. I had heard how misogynistic Fleming's works were, and was prepared to hate it, but I didn't, though the misogyny is certainly apparent. The book is deftly written, interesting in its degree of detail, and full of the bursts of excitement that make the movies so entertaining. I will be glad to read more of the Bond books in future. ( )
  ahef1963 | Apr 30, 2015 |
nothing so great about it...in the starting its even downright boring ( )
  abhidd1687 | Mar 26, 2015 |
The original James Bond story sets up a lot of the touchstones of James Bond lore - his infamous drink, his lovely cars, his charm, his womanizing ways. What I liked about this was you get a lot of Bond's internal emotions - he's more complex than most would give him credit for. His male-machismo and sexism is par for the course for when this was written, but he really does have a soft-spot for the women he frequently calls "Bitches." It was also nice to see his fear and uncertainty while being tortured; he thoroughly viewed himself as a failure and a dead man. Granted, he blamed it almost all on Vespa, but it was still nice to see his self-doubts. ( )
  benuathanasia | Feb 20, 2015 |

Ian Flemingprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Deaver, JefferyIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
The scent and smoke and sweat of a casino are nauseating at three in the morning.
The Devil has no prophets to write his Ten Commandments and no teams of authors to write his biography. His case has gone completely by default. We know nothing about him but a lot of fairy stories from our parents and schoolmasters. He has no book from which we can learn the nature of evil in all its forms, with parables about evil people, proverbs about evil people, folk-lore about evil people. All we have is the living example of the people who are least good, or our own intuition.
"surround yourself with human beings, my dear James. They are easier to fight for than principles. But don't let me down and become human yourself. We would lose such a wonderful machine."
“Your own injuries are serious, but your life is not in danger... If all goes well, you will recover completely and none of the functions of your body will be impaired... But I fear that you will continue to be in pain for several days...”
James Bond

closed his eyes and waited for the pain. He knew that the beginning of torture was the worst.

Le Chiffre
The formidable, dangerous French Communist with large sexual appetites. Paymaster of SMERSH and a master sadist.

Vesper Lynd
the conquest of her body would each time have the sweet tang of rape.

A superlative thriller. Replete with elegant, enigmatic women, superb food and service, explosions, torture and sudden death. - Boston Sunday Post

The best gambling scene one can recall and the most revolting torture scenes. - The Birmingham Post

Hums with tension - Time Magazine
Double Oh Seven
gambles with a union boss
who's a SMERSH agent.
(yoyogod)

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 014200202X, Paperback)

In the first of Ian Fleming's James Bond novels, 007 declares war on Le Chiffre, French communist and paymaster of the Soviet murder organization SMERSH.

The battle begins with a fifty-million-franc game of baccarat, gains momentum during Bond's fiery love affair with a sensuous lady spy, and reaches a chilling climax with fiendish torture at the hands of a master sadist. For incredible suspense, unexpected thrills, and extraordinary danger, nothing can beat James Bond in his inaugural adventure.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:44:39 -0400)

In the first James Bond novel, originally published in 1953, 007 takes on Le Chiffre, a French communist and paymaster of the Soviet murder organization SMERSH, as the suave agent becomes involved in a high-stakes game of baccarat, enjoys a fiery love affair with a sexy female spy, and endures torture at the hands of a master sadist.… (more)

Legacy Library: Ian Fleming

Ian Fleming has a Legacy Library. Legacy libraries are the personal libraries of famous readers, entered by LibraryThing members from the Legacy Libraries group.

See Ian Fleming's legacy profile.

See Ian Fleming's author page.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 97,293,020 books! | Top bar: Always visible