Casino Royale by Ian Fleming

Casino Royale (1953)

by Ian Fleming

Series: James Bond (1)

The Kobra Manifesto by Adam Hall (benfulton)
    benfulton: Very similar spy stories. Quiller is a bit more physical than Bond, I think.
    The Spy Who Came in From the Cold by John le Carré (Cecilturtle)

English (127)  Danish (1)  Hebrew (1)  Catalan (1)  All languages (130)
nothing so great about it...in the starting its even downright boring ( )
  abhidd1687 | Mar 26, 2015 |
The original James Bond story sets up a lot of the touchstones of James Bond lore - his infamous drink, his lovely cars, his charm, his womanizing ways. What I liked about this was you get a lot of Bond's internal emotions - he's more complex than most would give him credit for. His male-machismo and sexism is par for the course for when this was written, but he really does have a soft-spot for the women he frequently calls "Bitches." It was also nice to see his fear and uncertainty while being tortured; he thoroughly viewed himself as a failure and a dead man. Granted, he blamed it almost all on Vespa, but it was still nice to see his self-doubts. ( )
  benuathanasia | Feb 20, 2015 |
In the first of Ian Fleming's James Bond novels, 007 declares war on Le Chiffre, French communist and paymaster of the Soviet murder organization SMERSH. The battle begins in a fifty-million-franc game of baccarat, gains momentum during Bond's fiery love affair with a sensuous lady spy, and reaches a chilling climax with fiendish torture at the hands of a master sadist. For incredible suspense, unexpected thrills, and extraordinary danger, nothing... ( )
1 vote | Tutter | Dec 31, 2014 |
The first Bond story, and to my mind one of the best. The elegant atmosphere of the casino, the excitement of the card game --second only, to my mind, to the one in Carr's Four False Weapons -- and the introduction of Bond himself are all good. Negatives are the torture scene and the ultimate fate of the woman in the case. There us a bit of Roger Ackroyd in that we are allowed into her mind at time and it seems unlikely that she would have been thinking just what she is described as thinking. ( )
  antiquary | Dec 28, 2014 |
Excellent reading by actor Dan Stevens in the first volume of the recent (2014) celebrity narrations edition of the original James Bond series by Ian Fleming. Especially fun to be reacquainted with the character as he was first envisaged by Fleming (looking like Hoagy Carmichael) and be reminded that Felix Leiter was from Texas ;) ( )
1 vote alanteder | Dec 19, 2014 |

Ian Flemingprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Deaver, JefferyIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
The scent and smoke and sweat of a casino are nauseating at three in the morning.
The Devil has no prophets to write his Ten Commandments and no teams of authors to write his biography. His case has gone completely by default. We know nothing about him but a lot of fairy stories from our parents and schoolmasters. He has no book from which we can learn the nature of evil in all its forms, with parables about evil people, proverbs about evil people, folk-lore about evil people. All we have is the living example of the people who are least good, or our own intuition.
"surround yourself with human beings, my dear James. They are easier to fight for than principles. But don't let me down and become human yourself. We would lose such a wonderful machine."
“Your own injuries are serious, but your life is not in danger... If all goes well, you will recover completely and none of the functions of your body will be impaired... But I fear that you will continue to be in pain for several days...”
James Bond

closed his eyes and waited for the pain. He knew that the beginning of torture was the worst.

Le Chiffre
The formidable, dangerous French Communist with large sexual appetites. Paymaster of SMERSH and a master sadist.

Vesper Lynd
the conquest of her body would each time have the sweet tang of rape.

A superlative thriller. Replete with elegant, enigmatic women, superb food and service, explosions, torture and sudden death. - Boston Sunday Post

The best gambling scene one can recall and the most revolting torture scenes. - The Birmingham Post

Hums with tension - Time Magazine
Double Oh Seven
gambles with a union boss
who's a SMERSH agent.
(yoyogod)

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 014200202X, Paperback)

The battle begins with a fifty-million-franc game of baccarat, gains momentum during Bond's fiery love affair with a sensuous lady spy, and reaches a chilling climax with fiendish torture at the hands of a master sadist. For incredible suspense, unexpected thrills, and extraordinary danger, nothing can beat James Bond in his inaugural adventure.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:44:39 -0400)

In the first James Bond novel, originally published in 1953, 007 takes on Le Chiffre, a French communist and paymaster of the Soviet murder organization SMERSH, as the suave agent becomes involved in a high-stakes game of baccarat, enjoys a fiery love affair with a sexy female spy, and endures torture at the hands of a master sadist.… (more)

Legacy Library: Ian Fleming

Ian Fleming has a Legacy Library. Legacy libraries are the personal libraries of famous readers, entered by LibraryThing members from the Legacy Libraries group.

See Ian Fleming's legacy profile.

See Ian Fleming's author page.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 96,141,087 books! | Top bar: Always visible